Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
Sat Tv, KVH: TV1 or TV3?

As part of a New radar and mast project, I am looking to install a receiver for DirecTV.

We previously had the M3 dish on our last boat so I am curious to hear if there are major differences between the TV one and three?

The manufactures data indicate the TV1 dome is slightly smaller, but the specifications for the satellite etc. appearto be fairly similar.

Has anyone done any research on these two systems, or have any feedback on which system would be better for the dock and coastal cruising not more than 100 miles offshore?

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Intellian is a better choice me thinks. Better customer support.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: West Coast
I agree with Intellian, having recently upgraded from a KVH M7 to an intellian S6.
In fact, I completed the installation just today. I had a configuration question (or three) and, amazingly enough, Intellian support was there for me. On a Sunday no less.

With my KVH, I always had to wait when changing channels so the antenna could find and point to the proper satellite. Among other benefits, the Intellian tracks all 3 birds at once. No more delay in changing channels.
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: Roam
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
I installed a TV1 on my last boat (a Manta sail cat) and HATED it.
1. We were in South Florida and the antenna couldn't find the satellites unless the boat was pointed in a specific direction. The TV1 was mounted 15 feet in the air and at least 15 feet from the mast, but it seemed the mast was ALWAYS in the way. The array is just too small to be reliable.
2. The unit was NOISY. When anchored out (and even in a slip), the unit is constantly trying to find the satellites and fine tuning it's position. You can hear the motors running constantly. The Arch was located on the stern of our boat and from the aft, master suite, the TV1 would keep us awake at night to the point that I had to flip the switch which supplied electricity to the TV1 (not just the receiver) so that the motors would stop running.

I can't comment on the difference between Intellian vs. KVH, but I can definitely tell you that you should spend the extra money to get a larger antenna.

Clark Haley
Nordhavn 47 - Roam
Clarkhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have any experience with the and intelian system, but I will research it.

regarding your TV one system, how old was that unit that you installed?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Intellian definitely. I had this conversation with my pro in this field Monday. He said KVH, seems to dry up parts as soon as the warranty is out. He has 4 dead KVH soldiers less than 6 years old laying around in the bone yard. Get extended warranty, buy with American Express and if there is another trick to protect yourself...use it.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: Roam
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Fletcher500, I installed the TV1 in January of 2016, so it was a brand new unit. I talked with KVH and with Dish about the problems I was having with getting satellite lock and we spent many hours trying to improve that, but nothing seemed to help. I would have upgraded to a larger unit, but before I could do that we decided to sell the cat and go to a trawler. Now I'm faced with having to install a Sat antenna on the new boat and I think I'm going to go with Intellian, based on my experience with KVH and feedback from Intellian users.

Clark Haley
N4708 Roam
Clarkhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Guru

Another couple weeks under my belt with my Intellian and I must say I am very pleased.

As for noise, I can only say that if I stopped and listened, and if there wasn't other noise to mask it, I could hear (from inside my salon but with the back door open) my KVH M7 searching when it shifted from one sat to another. I don't ever hear by Intellian, but since the doom is at the top of an arch above the tower over the flybridge on top of the salon, the Intellian may be making noises that would be objectionable to anyone closer. The other consideration is that, unlike the KVH, my intellian tracks all three sats at once, so it doesn't need to search just because I have changed channels.

And did I mention that the Intellian is considerably less expensive than its KVH counterpart?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
Guru

My Intellian is very quiet...even with my hearing aids in I can't hear it.

BTW, yesterday I connected an external hard drive to my Dish receiver. Activated it through Dish and now I have a programmable DVR.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
I'm running the Intellian I2 - Dish Network with a MIM and two VIP211 receivers connected, the smallest of the lineup, close to five years in service and no issues.

Sometimes I can hear it tracking up on the mast but mostly I don't notice it.

During the Dish transponder frequency change that occurred earlier this year, Intellian customer support was awesome. That's the only time I ever needed support.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

Good feedback, thank you. I think the I2 set up will work well. I didn't want a large dish up there. Sometimes less, is more.

We currently have a digital antenna on the hardtop. I get plenty of channels in Spanish But only 3 in English, and I am not a big fan of Judge Judy or The View.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Couple more questions;

Is the attached system picture all I would need for a DirecTv account?

The new radar likely be solid state (Halo) so radar omissions will be extremely low. I assume I will not have to mount the I2 vertically above, or below the open array radar?

And if that is the case, then I would just not run the radar and TV at the same time. Reason I am asking, is the dome will be situated on the hard top on a horizontal plane with the radar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	40
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	54616  
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
Guru

A slight drift here:

I just this week added an external hard drive to my VIP 211K Dish receiver. It's a USB plug into the back of the receiver but is powered externally, not by the USB. The receiver recognizes the drive as a DVR and shows a phone number of on the TV screen to call to activate the "DVR" with Dish. It's a one time charge of $40 to activate and now I can record shows and fast forward through commercials etc. All of the programming is done on screen with the Dish menus. The wife is so happy as am I has we hate the ever growing commercial line up. BTW, we do live aboard so this is important to us. YMMV.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Couple more questions;

Is the attached system picture all I would need for a DirecTv account?

The new radar likely be solid state (Halo) so radar omissions will be extremely low. I assume I will not have to mount the I2 vertically above, or below the open array radar?

And if that is the case, then I would just not run the radar and TV at the same time. Reason I am asking, is the dome will be situated on the hard top on a horizontal plane with the radar.
I believe you can get installation instructions on line from Intellian's site. As I recall there are specs for proximity to radars, etc., and I do not recall any distinction for Halo.

My Intellian came with everything I needed except the DirecTv receiver.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
A slight drift here:

I just this week added an external hard drive to my VIP 211K Dish receiver. It's a USB plug into the back of the receiver but is powered externally, not by the USB. The receiver recognizes the drive as a DVR and shows a phone number of on the TV screen to call to activate the "DVR" with Dish. It's a one time charge of $40 to activate and now I can record shows and fast forward through commercials etc. All of the programming is done on screen with the Dish menus. The wife is so happy as am I has we hate the ever growing commercial line up. BTW, we do live aboard so this is important to us. YMMV.
I was using Dish until relatively recently and hooked up hard drives to my receivers just as you did. I may be wrong, but as I recall, Dish was charging me an additional monthly charge for DVR functionality, but waived the activation fees. One other thing you may be glad to know about Dish -- you can deactivate (and later reactivate) for free as long as you use (or pay for) a full month each time you activate, and as long as you don't go more than 6 months inactive. At least that is what I recall.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #16
Guru

No monthly fee, just the $40. And you are correct about the deactivation as I understand it.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I believe you can get installation instructions on line from Intellian's site. As I recall there are specs for proximity to radars, etc., and I do not recall any distinction for Halo.

My Intellian came with everything I needed except the DirecTv receiver.
I checked out their installation manual and it calls for 4 ft of vertical separation between the Intellian dome and most radars. (I'm guessing KVH is the same.) Yet a lot of boats seem to mount them in much closer proximity--almost on the same plane. Wonder what's up with that? Maybe they just never use the radar while the TV's on?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
The wife is so happy as am I has we hate the ever growing commercial line up. BTW, we do live aboard so this is important to us. YMMV.
We actually like commercials but we like the convenience of DVR. We never watch a show live other than sports.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #19

Thanks Gents.

Yes, that 4 ft rule gets violated a lot. I am thinking it is based on the the magnetron, high output radars, as opposed to the newer solid state radars like Halo. If I remember correctly, I once read the a halo has the same exposure as a cell phone, so maintaning the dome to radar ratios, are probably not as important.

On our previous boat with the M3 dish, I was able to sign up the boat through DTV for about $5 per month, in addition to the home plan. Is that deal still offered by DTV?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #20
Guru

City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Talking to the KVH rep at a recent boat show, he said the issue with radars on the same plane as the sat dish is that they 'toast' the LNB in the dish eventually.

As far as size of the unit is concerned, you should check that the operating range will suit you. KVH has maps available to show it, Intellian should have some data as well or their support folks would be able to tell you. The larger units have greater geographic coverage. The TV1 issue noted in a post above might have been due to it being too small a dish for that geographic location?

When I bought my boat in Seattle it came with a KVH M3, but it was not economical to modify that unit to be operable in Australia. It was quite susceptible to losing signal in the rain also. So I fitted a KVH M5, and simply (although not all that cheaply) changed the LNB when I landed the boat in Oz.

More recently I re-did my mast. In order to move solar panels forward to avoid shading I had to move the M5. So we chopped 5' off the deck mounted mast and mounted it on the hardtop instead. The M5 uses the original radar platform, and we made a new radar platform below it. Not 4' of separation, but it is all working fine.

No issues with the M5, but I would certainly check out Intellian, but make sure the coverage footprint was sufficient for intended cruising areas. The Inteelian dish may need to be a larger size to get equivalent performance to the KVH ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Jul16.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	54625