Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
So we chopped 5' off the deck mounted mast and mounted it on the hardtop instead. The M5 uses the original radar platform, and we made a new radar platform below it. Not 4' of separation, but it is all working fine.

No issues with the M5, but I would certainly check out Intellian, but make sure the coverage footprint was sufficient for intended cruising areas. The Inteelian dish may need to be a larger size to get equivalent performance to the KVH ones.
We've found the key is to have two levels, typically a mast that is higher than the arch or hardtop or has two levels itself as you've made yours. Haven't found a magical distance like 4', have just found having some separation important. Typically we have radar at the peak of the mast and communications and television at the lower level.

The other thing is matching to your likely cruising area or areas. Cruising the US is easy. We get home quality reception. Other areas occasionally create challenges, especially with some equipment and systems.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The Inteelian dish may need to be a larger size to get equivalent performance to the KVH ones.
Why would that be? Could it also be the other way around? I admit that I did not check the footprint carefully before ordering my S6, but it appeared to give the same coverage (basically cuts out halfway down baja, but then I can switch to the Puerto Rico directTv network).

As for the 4' of vertical separation, I don't have it but am not worried as I am confident that the radar beam doesn't hit the Dome, and if there were a problem with magnetic interference, etc., I would already have experienced that. The angle of this picture makes it appear that the upper radar antenna is in the same plane as the dome, but it is actually about 6" below the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tower.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	54629  

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #23

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
MY, that is quite a set up you have. I am guessing you don't have any issues with target separation with that big Furuno open array on the bottom.

As I noted, I still think these newer, low output solid state radars will not interfere with the dome, but I will confirm.

Regarding DirecTV, can you still add the boat receiver for another $5/month, as an add on to your home account? If I cant do this, and have to pay another $200/month for the boat, it would be a deal killer.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Regarding DirecTV, can you still add the boat receiver for another $5/month, as an add on to your home account?
I think so, but right now I am using unused receivers from my house (and that works just fine, but I never had it configured in "whole house" mode). I will find out and let you know in a week or so when they come out to add a couple more to my house.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #25
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
If you are considering the Intellian I2, I'm pretty sure it can't pull High Def signals on Direct TV network due to the size of the dish and the satellite band they broadcast HD on. No problem with HD on Dish network though.

If HD is important to you and Direct is your choice better confirm with Intellian first. This is an issue on the I2 13" dish, not sure about I3 and for sure not an issue on the larger Intellian units.

Don't bother asking a Direct Tv rep, in my experience most of them don't know anything about third party systems.

I would also mention I purchase my whole system on line for $1100 as a factory refurbished unit with universal LNB and MIM. If you see any factory refurbs available from Intellian I wouldn't hesitate to buy that way, it will come packaged as new.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #26

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
TG, I am not overly concerned with the high definition programming. I just want to be able to get the typical channels in regular format for an hour or two of TV at night. I think I will still run with the I2 dish but will also run it by the electronics company doing the install which is also involving an entire redo of the nav system on the boat.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote