Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Sat tv

First off, I usually don't watch a lot of TV on the boat but on some weekends like this past weekend , with all the rain we've had TV would be nice. I do have rabbit ears but want to use Direct TV like at home. I really do not want to spend a fortune for a KVH antenna($2500+)at this point in time, once I am able to spend more time on board I will spring for it. Now, Follow me TV is a little cheaper($795). Then they have the portable auto antennas ($500-$600) but has anyone just bought a portable antenna on a tripod($130) and rigged it up on deck? I understand that I will have to adjust the antenna when I am at different places but how affected are they by slight rocking while at anchor. The boat is very stable and most of the anchorages I use are very quiet. Just wondering if anyone else is using this setup. Would rather spend more on fuel this year and not stay at the dock.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Never seen anyone get a fixed dish to work at anchor; the problem is even more from the boat swinging than with rocking. The Track-it is a nice unit.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I would expect it would work OK at a marina, but on the hook where you swing back and forth I would think you would have constant problems. We have the KVH and when we are on the hook you can here the antenna track/rotate with our swings quite a bit. I would expect it would recover from any rocking as soon as it settles but on the swing I would think it would not have a chance. No actual experience with the Follow me system though. See what others say and good luck.....
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The Track-It system is a good solution and so would a used KVH system. If you have Direct at home adding it to your boat as a 2nd or whatever receiver would only cost about $5.00 a month plus taxes.
I can't see a fixed Dish working well while at anchor unless your in a very protected anchorage and you are comfortable putting out a bow and stern anchor. I'm not comfortable in doing this at most locations I have anchored out in. I also hear my KVH tracking the satellite when we swing or get waked while on the hook, the noise isn't excessive but I notice it and understand why it's doing it..
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
A possible, less expensive alternative, if you are within range of a decent WiFi AP to which you have access, is Slingbox. (You can use it with cellular too if you like paying big data charges) Just hooked one up at home to my Direct TV. From my boat I can control the home Direct TV box from my iPad just as if I were there and either watch it on the iPad or stream it to my boat TV via Airplay. Real neat. Works with Android devices too.

If one is not within WiFi range then one must be in the wilderness. In such case I just sit back and enjoy the silence.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Guru

While Slingbox is pretty cool it's best left at home. It'll work on the boat but you need an excellent WiFi connection. If you use cellular data you really need to be on 4G or LTE data and have a good quality signal. Be prepared to pay Jeff S. (Active Captain) had an excellent article in his news letter about using Slingbox as an option for your boat. At the boat the WiFi signal will need at least 1.5mbps of stable signal that's not a tremendous amount of bandwidth but depending on your WiFi system on land and in the boat this shouldn't be a problem but it can be a problem.
Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I bought a used KVH on eBay for $375 + $100 shipping. Works great. Lots of them coming up as some people feel the need to upgrade perfectly good units to HD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I bought a used KVH on eBay for $375 + $100 shipping. Works great. Lots of them coming up as some people feel the need to upgrade perfectly good units to HD.

That's a terrific deal. I follow them on E-Bay I haven't seen a working unit for under 1k in a long time.
Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
Also in addition to kvh you can get a portable in motion tracking mode antenna call the Vuecube by king controls they make really great equipment and I have been a dealer of both kvh and kingdome for many years and I have owned both and kingdome has always out performed. I have and non tracking mode cube and it works well just sitting on the dock. I have also heard intelliden how ever you spell it is very good and reasonable. I am going to contact them about becoming a dealer for them also.
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #10

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
I also sub jest watching ebay amazon and some of the other discounted electronics websites as I was able to pick up a 4000$ KVH A-7 flat vehicle dish new in the box for 700 For one of my limos
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
I also sub jest watching ebay amazon and some of the other discounted electronics websites as I was able to pick up a 4000$ KVH A-7 flat vehicle dish new in the box for 700 For one of my limos
When it comes to this. PATIENCE is a virtue

Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
That's a terrific deal. I follow them on E-Bay I haven't seen a working unit for under 1k in a long time.
Bill
I actually bought this a couple of years ago before KVH came out with lower pricing. I suspect the used market has probably heated up since then. If you have a hard top with real estate available the C3's go pretty cheap as well.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
Guru

I had a hardtop on my previous boat however I had a KVH M3ST on DIRECT TV on it. I bought a slightly used (the same unit) KVH from a member here. It's going on an Edson 3" Aluminum pipe mount on my new to me Gulfstar 36.
In fact I'm watching the news in my office on the unit and a spare 12VDC Jensen 23" TV right now. I have everything mocked up even the flat screen TV mount so the installation should go quickly once I get back to the boat.
Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We used one if these on our camano, we'd just set it on the dock.
http://www.winegard.com/carryout/
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
If you have no objection to watching the same channels you used to be able to watch for free before our airwaves were given to corporations to charge us, you can buy a HD antenna at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Costco for under $30.00. It's literally paper thin, and the resolution is far superior to cable.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
If you have no objection to watching the same channels you used to be able to watch for free before our airwaves were given to corporations to charge us, you can buy a HD antenna at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Costco for under $30.00. It's literally paper thin, and the resolution is far superior to cable.
Assuming you are within range. We had one on the Hatt in addition to a standard res KVH so we could get "local local" channels while we cruised as well as the occasional HD event, thing was, no reception in many cruising destinations along the eastern seaboard.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I'm with George CalTexFla on this. I also have an OTA (over the air) antenna but since they went digital the reception is either perfect or -0-. It's not reliable unless you are within 20-30 miles of the transmitter even then some stations are spotty because they are running reduced power to save money. The State of NJ public broadcasting used to have 4 channels now I believe they have 2 and they are running at reduced power to save on the electric bill as well as the air conditioning needed to cool these digital amplifiers.
Some mornings I can get 40 channels from my slip then an hour later I get 20 and half are in Spanish. There isn't much to watch on network TV, just look at their ratings compared to cable?
What I hate is the huge number of commercials on the pay TV stations I can understand it on over the air TV but not on channels you pay to watch.
Bill
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
Winegard Roadtrip vs KVH

Anybody have the Winegard Roadtrip? Looks substantially similar to KVH M3... I've got an old KVH M3ST and was contemplating swapping out for an HD capable system. Winegard appears to get Dish HD for about 1/4 the price of the KVH.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
rnummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnummi View Post
Anybody have the Winegard Roadtrip? Looks substantially similar to KVH M3... I've got an old KVH M3ST and was contemplating swapping out for an HD capable system. Winegard appears to get Dish HD for about 1/4 the price of the KVH.
Intellian with Dish TV (RV account). Works flawlessly. Did a self-install. Changeable locals.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, direct tv, sat tv