Sat Phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

We're heading to the Caribbean for the summer and want to get a good sat phone for emergencies and occasional calls. What should we be looking for? Thanks

The unit we use is permanently installed. Its a KVH V3 Mini Vsat system

It consists of a satellite pod up on the radar arch, and two rack mounted units indoors, taking up approx 7" of rack space.

The capabilities are voice anywhere for $.49 a minute and data of 2mbps download at .99 per Mb

We tie the voice side into our boats prewired phone outlet system, and use regular fixed or wireless telephones.

The data side connects into our boats IP network, so we have wifi on the boat.

It might be overkill for what you are wanting to accomplish, but if you want high speed data and voice in a remote area the service is available.

I can tell you that in the North Pacific the service is rock solid reliable. KVH even has a 24X7 service desk that can reach out and log into your terminal to look at things.

Last edited:
You can spend a little or you can spend a lot. The price/service runs from $249/$39 per month for the Delorme InReach which will track you and provide two way text messaging, the Iridium Go (To be released in May) ~$699/~$150 a month for text, voice, and text based email, GlobalStar $499 with prepaid calling plan cards, on up to Iridium around $899 for a refurbished phone. Since I got the InReach, I haven't turned on the GlobalStar phone. The telephone replaced the telegraph and now text messaging is starting to replace the phone in many applications.

Tom

An Iridium system with an external antenna while not cheap is the less expensive of the systems that work. You can expect to pay $$750 for 500 minutes each year. The benefit of the sat phones is off shore where cell service will not work.

You can spend a little or you can spend a lot. The price/service runs from $249/$39 per month for the Delorme InReach which will track you and provide two way text messaging, the Iridium Go (To be released in May) ~$699/~$150 a month for text, voice, and text based email, GlobalStar $499 with prepaid calling plan cards, on up to Iridium around $899 for a refurbished phone. Since I got the InReach, I haven't turned on the GlobalStar phone. The telephone replaced the telegraph and now text messaging is starting to replace the phone in many applications. Tom

Thanks, I'll check them out

I have been doing some research for my friend concerning sat phones as we will be traveling in the Exumas this summer.The phone that N4712 linked to seems to be a good value and the company offers some pretty good prices on minutes. They offer several prepaid plans in which the minutes are good for up to 2 years. Many companies minutes expire after 180 days.

Thanks, we're probably going to get the Inmarsat Isatphone-2, it's a new model and has a few nicer features.

Back
Top Bottom