Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
The NavRules do not allow operating at night with 'docking lights' operating.

-INLAND-
Lights and Shapes

PART C-LIGHTS AND SHAPES

RULE 20
Application

(a) Rules in this Part shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset
to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be. exhibited,
except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in
these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character,
or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be
exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be
exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with
the provisions of Annex I of these Rules.
I guess you have never done any boating in the Northwest or Alaska.. most of the commercial boats run " deck lights" that do a great job of lighting the water ahead. Most use High Pressure Sodium . I ran two on the mast on Volunteer and never had issues with the Coasties or anybody else.

Reading the above paragraph I do not see where it says you cannot use other lighting.. only that it cannot be such as to confuse it with required lighting.

I would NEVER travel the waters up here at night without additional lighting.
On a side note the higher the lights the better they light up objects in the water
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #22

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Night vision not a problem if you light up everything around you. When you are lit up like a little factory, all that are out there know what you are about.

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Night vision not a problem if you light up everything around you. When you are lit up like a little factory, all that are out there know what you are about.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #24
Guru

Mark, is that the Norwegian Jewel?
I`m enjoying stunning night vision after recent cataract surgery.
Moving at night, I sometimes use the 35w halogen downward aimed spreader lights reflecting onto the FB deck, as well as prescribed running lights.
Our Maritime authority warns against bright additional lights likely to affect the night vision of others. A proper concern, but why, on busy event nights on the harbor, do they place vessels, and buoys, with brilliant flashing strobe lights, in fairways? To encourage keeping to the correct side, they say. Nice idea, except for the night blindness it causes.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Don't recall. We were on the NCL ship Sun running parallel in the same general direction when picture was taken in the western Caribbean. Believe it was a sister-ship, so wouldn't be the Jewel. (We've been on the Jewel several times, including its maiden (transatlantic) cruise as well as a Panama Canal passage earlier this year.)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I guess you have never done any boating in the Northwest or Alaska.. most of the commercial boats run " deck lights" that do a great job of lighting the water ahead. Most use High Pressure Sodium . I ran two on the mast on Volunteer and never had issues with the Coasties or anybody else.

Reading the above paragraph I do not see where it says you cannot use other lighting.. only that it cannot be such as to confuse it with required lighting.

On a side note the higher the lights the better they light up objects in the water
HOLLYWOOD
That's the way it is interpreted and taught wherever I have been.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Noeta
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

HOLLYWOOD

You beat me to that point. All the fishing boats run with huge lights on the whole night. So much for night vision. But you can definitely see them coming and I share that sentiment.
Arcticspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Of course you can run your boat at night with "headlights" and the brighter the better. You're not likely to get a citation and you don't have to worry about ruining other operator's night vision as long as you can avoid them. It's their worry.

There's nothing they can do to you but curse you on the VHF.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
For me the issue is running with full lights in a channel where there is no way for another boat to avoid them. This you do not see the pros do. They don't want blind captains out there any more than any one else.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I have considered installing this on my boat for night travel. Turning them off when encountering boats head on is a given.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...Specifications

My question to the forum, are they legal?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I have considered installing this on my boat for night travel. Turning them off when encountering boats head on is a given.

50" Off Road Curved LED Light Bar - 288W | Off Road Light Bars | LED Work Light & Off Road LED Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

Having them is not illegal..They are installed on many USCG vessels....and don't be cute to say the Coasties have machine guns but that doesn't make them legal for us...

They are allowed for docking purposes just about everywhere...the link Flywright posted to Pennsylvania said except for docking their use is illegal.

I'm on the water at night several times a week in NJ during the boating season...the use of all kinds of lights seems to be ignored by LEOs as they realize whatever people use to make cruising at night safer...so be it. If it looks like the abusers are making a pest of themselves...maybe they get stopped and given a citation or warning...but I have never seen it or heard of it.

Usually...the people that are clueless and blinding other boaters occasionally...they usually get blasted back and figure it out...for as many people blinding each other out there and I never see or hear of accidents from those issues...seems to me to be a big deal over nothing and I'm pretty sure the LEOs probably feel the same way...maybe not everyplace but I'd bet most.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
They are allowed for docking purposes just about everywhere...the link Flywright posted to Pennsylvania said except for docking their use is illegal.
Thanks for pointing that link out as I missed it. That is fine in Pennsylvania but like Hollywood said commercial boats, especially fish boats, are lit up pretty well. Also agree with George that the bright lights would go over badly in a channel. Common sense is far from common but some of us still possess and use it in our everyday life.

There is a YouTube video demonstration in the link I posted that demonstrates the lights linked accurately for those not already familiar with them.

Follow up question for you though. Is your assistance boat (that I presume you operate at night sometimes) required to be operated in accordance with rule 21 when towing a disabled vessel?

Rule 21 (d) "Towing light" means a yellow light having the same
characteristics as the "sternlight" defined in paragraph (c) of this
Rule.

Rule 21 (g) "Special flashing light" means a yellow light flashing at
regular intervals at a frequency of 50 to 70 flashes per minute, placed
as far forward and as nearly as practicable on the fore and aft
centerline of the tow and showing an unbroken light over an arc of the
horizon of not less than 180 degrees nor more than 225 degrees and so
fixed as to show the light from right ahead to abeam and no more than
22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:

50" Off Road Curved LED Light Bar - 288W | Off Road Light Bars | LED Work Light & Off Road LED Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

I don't know...do you think they could stand up to your abuse?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #34
Guru

Comforting to know if the boat is mowed down by a freighter, chopped up by the prop and the pieces catch on fire and I somehow lived, I can reuse the light bar.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Comforting to know if the boat is mowed down by a freighter, chopped up by the prop and the pieces catch on fire and I somehow lived, I can reuse the light bar.

If you do go through with the lightbar, this might save you a couple bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/LEDSTORE-OffRo...road+light+bar
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Try and get a video of that, if possible, and post it for us to look at and critique.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that link out as I missed it. That is fine in Pennsylvania but like Hollywood said commercial boats, especially fish boats, are lit up pretty well. Also agree with George that the bright lights would go over badly in a channel. Common sense is far from common but some of us still possess and use it in our everyday life.

There is a YouTube video demonstration in the link I posted that demonstrates the lights linked accurately for those not already familiar with them.

Follow up question for you though. Is your assistance boat (that I presume you operate at night sometimes) required to be operated in accordance with rule 21 when towing a disabled vessel?

Rule 21 (d) "Towing light" means a yellow light having the same
characteristics as the "sternlight" defined in paragraph (c) of this
Rule.

Rule 21 (g) "Special flashing light" means a yellow light flashing at
regular intervals at a frequency of 50 to 70 flashes per minute, placed
as far forward and as nearly as practicable on the fore and aft
centerline of the tow and showing an unbroken light over an arc of the
horizon of not less than 180 degrees nor more than 225 degrees and so
fixed as to show the light from right ahead to abeam and no more than
22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel.
Yes we have the normal array of towing lights aboard the little towboats.

When it comes to lighting other boats that we have in tow such as the "special flashing" or even just plain old nav lights o the tow...that depends and usually not. If the boat we are towing doesn't have electrical power...we just tow it without lights. The tow line for our type of work is usually short and the tows of short duration. In the Navrules annexes, there are the allowances for small vessels and situations where following the rules are difficult. We would just shine our spotlight on the tow/towline if approached by another vessel if the tow was completely unlit.

The red/yellow flashing "public safety" lights should explain a lot to other vessels but I'm not sure.

The "boater's with no clue"... abound. Yesterday while passing a dredge in a narrow channel....the channel available was less than 50 feet wide and an extremely low tide at the time...it was marked though not really necessary as "slow wake".

An approaching 31 foot Sailfish center console was plowing through the area and there was pretty heavy traffic around....and headed right for me...at the last second he veers off and runs right over the no wake buoy...which even on my boat, sitting on the engine compartment as it is the seat in the pilothouse, I can even hear the thud. I turn and see him proceed off with the no wake buoy wrapped up in his engines. He goes for about a 1/4 mile and my guess he thought the shallow water was preventing him from getting on plane but finally figured something else was the matter. I mean....really?????

So I guess when we debate here things like horns, running lights, nav light screens, rules of the road, etc...it's pretty much lost in the recreational community as the law enforcement guys know they are dealing with chuckleheads too much of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	31395  
Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
"Turning them off when encountering boats head on is a given."
Once you've seen another boat ahead, which is difficult to do in the first place if these are blazing away, you have already affected their night vision.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

An approaching 31 foot Sailfish center console was plowing through the area and there was pretty heavy traffic around....and headed right for me...at the last second he veers off and runs right over the no wake buoy...which even on my boat, sitting on the engine compartment as it is the seat in the pilothouse, I can even hear the thud. I turn and see him proceed off with the no wake buoy wrapped up in his engines. He goes for about a 1/4 mile and my guess he thought the shallow water was preventing him from getting on plane but finally figured something else was the matter. I mean....really?????
Great picture LOL.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Great picture LOL.
Here's another fav of mine...Guy ran over the buoy and got the buoy chain up over his wheel and went aground.

I dive and found the buoy chain but the boat was sitting on it so I disconnected the buoy anchor...too heavy to throw on my boat so I dragged it to the beach. I then had to dig the guy off the sand bar and started towing him to his marina. Halfway there...the buoy and chain slithers off and by the time I get him to his marina...he radios..hey everything is working...Thanks!

So I now have to call the USCG and tell them their anchor is on the beach...hurry up before the tide comes in and by the way...your buoy and chain are headed for sea out the inlet. Customer happy, USCG not so happy...

This morning we had a 20 foot Scout center consol salvage...it's amazing how some people will screw in a bilge float switch with screws a bit longer than the hull is thick...

Never a dull moment with boaters...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	299319_10151093224638021_85406791_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	31508