Rose Point's Nemo Gateway product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twistedtree, I assume that N2KView will read all NMEA messages (0183 and 2000) that the Nemo gateway collects and puts on the NMEA2000 backbone, but that you will need the Maretron gateway USB100 to connect it to the PC?

I'm planning to install some Maretron and Actisense sensors on Monara (Monara - Introduction), want them to talk to my Nemo (still in the box), and understand from this thread that I will need 3 gateways... Nemo, USB100 and NGW-1...

I think that's mostly, if not completely correct. But let me re-state just to clarify.

N2KView can display most N2K messages (PGNs). But it does not process 0183 messages at all. Any 0183 data needs to have been converted to PGNs to be displayed.

The 0183 to PGN conversion can be done by a number of devices, including NEMO, Actisense devices, etc. Just check the documentation very carefully to be sure any particular device will translate the sentences you care about, at the required rate. I found a lot of challenges in this respect. See this article Adventures of Tanglewood: NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter challenges

Once some device converts 0183 data to PGNs and puts it on the N2K bus, then any connected device has access to it.

N2KView running on a Mac or PC can connect to an N2K bus in one of two ways. You can use the maretron USB100 for an N2K to USB connection. It's the least expensive route, but only supports a single connected device. The other way is with the IPG100. The IPG100 takes N2K data and puts it on ethernet, but in a format only accessible to Maretron. So it's like Nemo in this respect, except the data access over Ethernet is proprietary. The advantage of the IPG is that you can run N2K from any connected system (but only as many instances as you have licenses), and more importantly you can use N2KView Mobile, and that does not require an extra license. Plus you can run N2KAnalyze from any system, all at the same time. Personally I would only get an IPG100 because it is so much more flexible.

Hope that helps.

Nemo Gateway without CE

Does anyone know if you can configure the nemo gateway on a PC, without running Coastal Explorer or ECS?

Heh, search is my friend here... I'm looking to better integrate/update my various network devices and am headed to the same conclusion...

NGT-1 to handle update some gear (Airmar using Weathercaster)
Nemo to handle 0183-to-N2K

I just have to double-check how many talker/listener connections I need for 0183.

I’d also look at ShipModul, I have one and a nemo, the Nemo is great if you are looking for NMEA to UDP for Coastal Explorer, I’m less impressed as a translation device (I’ve seen some odd behavior on my network with it on), the shipmodul is purpose built and what the Furuno guys all recommend so I went that direction. I’m keeping the Nemo just Incase I need to switch from TZPro to CE.

One thing that seems appealing about the Nemo is being able to filter 0183 messages. I've currently got an M602 Icom radio and supposedly it's DSC/DSE and GPS sentences are sometimes problematic. Like causing a GPS-In, GPS-Out retransmit.

Should we take this to a different conversation thread?

I’d also look at ShipModul, I have one and a nemo, the Nemo is great if you are looking for NMEA to UDP for Coastal Explorer, I’m less impressed as a translation device (I’ve seen some odd behavior on my network with it on), the shipmodul is purpose built and what the Furuno guys all recommend so I went that direction. I’m keeping the Nemo just Incase I need to switch from TZPro to CE.

I agree on the Nemo and some weird things happening. If you read further up in this thread, you'll see some of the limitations I found specifically around autopilots, which I have not seen with products from other manufacturers, including ShipModul. In fact, they're made to bridge the gap between 2000 and 0183 and translate things for those use cases.

I think the Nemo is trying to do this, but also it's primary goal is to connect CE to your various network devices, which it does very, very well.

Which ShipModul device are you using now? I'm building out a large Furuno setup and may want to throw one in just for testing.

GPS NMEA 0183 output in Nemo gateway

I am installing the Nemo on Monara, but get weird readings from the GPS:

<157, 167, 62, 145, 159, 153, 157, 141, 167, 159, 157, 163, 145, 167, 81, 171, 145, 125, 229, 235, 0, 0, 117, 221, 237, 93, 0, 157, 141, 163, 159, 167, 51, 167, 149, 163, 143, 167, 101, 167, 153, 163, 157, 167, 115, 171, 153, 157, 229, 235, ...>

Anybody an idea?

I've seen a similar question from a newbie recently, it was solved, but I can't find the thread anymore.

Thanks for helping!

What baud rate do you have the port receiving from the GPS set at? And what is the GPS antenna (brand/model)?

Where are you looking to see this stream of numbers? How is the GPS connected?

Jan....by the way, if that's "Monara" in your avatar, she looks absolutely beautiful ! Would love to see more photos.... Is she Dutch steel??

What baud rate do you have the port receiving from the GPS set at? And what is the GPS antenna (brand/model)?

The GPS is sending at 4800, the Nemo is receiving at the same baud rate, , the antenna is a seiwa.

Where are you looking to see this stream of numbers? How is the GPS connected?

The GPS is connected to the Nemo as talker 1 in channels a and b, no common connected. The Nemo transmits those numbers to my pc through a network cable.
I might connect the common to the ground, see what that gives.

The baud rate was wrong... What a night sleep and good advice can do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom