Robertson versus ComNav autopilots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobbit

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hobbit
Vessel Make
Palmer Johnson
I currently have an older AP-45 robertson autopilot with 1 lower control station and want to add a second upper station. Its 19 years old but runs good....wanders a bit more than my old ComNav did on an older boat we owned. If I have to go to a new 2 station setup using NMEA 2000 wiring and new rudder feedback etc, running new wires etc.

Does ComNav work better than Robertson?

Thanks

I have a Robertson AP25. The boat drives like its on rails. Have you worked with the steering parameter adjustments through the display? It makes all the difference in the world.

Ted

I have a Robertson AP25. The boat drives like its on rails. Have you worked with the steering parameter adjustments through the display? It makes all the difference in the world.

Ted

We need to talk.... I have the same autopilot (AP25) and have been trying to improve it's tuning. It's better than it was, but it's frustrating to see it sit there with 5 degrees of rudder and go right past the selected heading without moving for a couple more seconds. Of course part of it may be that your boat's design is better able to hold a line than mine.

Ken

We need to talk.... I have the same autopilot (AP25) and have been trying to improve it's tuning. It's better than it was, but it's frustrating to see it sit there with 5 degrees of rudder and go right past the selected heading without moving for a couple more seconds. Of course part of it may be that your boat's design is better able to hold a line than mine.

Ken
Ken, I actually have the AP20, but believe the computer is the same with a different display / control. I'm out of town for the week, but can walk you through the parameter adjustments when I have the manual in front of me. There are 2 or 3 parameters in a sub menu that adjusts response time (how far off course), rate of response, and over correction. It takes some time making adjustments and seatrialing to get it dialed in, but it's a amazing how well my boat now holds course. I can now drive it down the Dismal Swamp canal (<100' wide) on autopilot with only occasional corrections for magnetic variations along the canal.

While this thread was started for satellite compass, there may be some useful information on your system in the thread.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/satellite-compass-questions-17245.html

Ted

Thanks for the tip. I have done some adjustments there...it needs some more. It turns to starboard a lot faster than to port when it reaches a waypoint. The compass deviation is probably not correct...I think that might have alot to do with it?

Bill

"The compass deviation is probably not correct...I think that might have alot to do with it?"

Compass location can be a hassle , wrenches or cans of soup nearby can have strange effects.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom