Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #41
TF Site Team
City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I also have the SH 2150; it feeds my Raymarine MFD units. When I put the MFD cursor onto an AIS target, a databox comes up with basic info on the target (MMSI, name, course, speed, CPA, time of CPA). Clicking on the databox brings up an expanded window with additional target info.

Eventually, we'll pull the trigger on a Class B transceiver; but for now, the Standard Horizon works perfectly.
Peter, are you able to click a "Call" selection and have it SELCAL(DSC) the target? I know these things are capable of that if you have it set up correctly. I just thought it would be pretty damn cool to touch a target...have a data box pop up with a "call" option and touch "call" and, bam, a call is on the way. everything would have to be rigged properly though. And I do believe it is another reason why manufacturers are combining AIS receivers with their radios.

Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #42

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I've never tried a DSC call that way- will do so this weekend and report back.....

Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Can you take a screenshot to give me an idea of what you are talking about?...or at least a pic with your phone? Maybe I will search youtube. Anyway, I was reading somewhere that you can touch an AIS target and a call box comes up...and then you can touch "call" and it SELCALs the target?...assuming you have it set up right?
John below is a picture of the AIS target and when you touch the AIS target you get the info on the AIS like in the second picture. These screen shots were on a Ray E90 W but the Garmin is as I recall exactly the same which leads me to believe the AIS receiver in my VHF radio generates the Target display and data.
If I want to call the AIS target via VHF the VHF radio has an option to do that by simply pressing a button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS Target.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Target Info.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	24891  

Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels