Riddle me this....16x9 aspect ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don,
I will start a thread on my engine saga after I have finished with my insurance company.

We are planning a cruise in May but probably down to Key West via the Okeechobee waterway. Perhaps we can arrange dinner together at the Sailors Return restaurant at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. The admiral loves that place.

Don,
I will start a thread on my engine saga after I have finished with my insurance company.

We are planning a cruise in May but probably down to Key West via the Okeechobee waterway. Perhaps we can arrange dinner together at the Sailors Return restaurant at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. The admiral loves that place.

We also like Sailors Return. It's right by the river walk, and Troy can be on the patio with us. Great place. Hope we can meet up.

John, I have a ray depth transducer that came with the boat. I was able to port the info from the transducer to both my new Ray MFD and my Garmin 740 via NMEA 0183 and Sea Talk. Since I use my Garmin for navigation having depth there is a big plus.

Incidentally I found my G740. I misplaced it in my wife's car thinking it was in my car. Fortunately I had not reported it stolen yet.

We splash Friday with the new reman engine.

WoooHooooo!!! Glad you found your G740!!! Not sure I have ever heard of someone misplacing a chartplotter!!!...:) Yeah, I was thinking the same thing ref having depth on the screen you are already looking at. Just waiting or the part to port it to the unit. I am probably gonna get the AIS receiver as well.

Elected to have a separate, large-font depth gauge display rather than rely on the small font on my chart plotter. Shallow water is too common around here.

I am probably gonna get the AIS receiver as well.

I replaced the original VHF that came with the boat with a Standard Horizon VHF that included a AIS receiver. I connected it to my Garmin 740 and the AIS worked well except I found it difficult to see the AIS targets on the plotter. Even when I zoomed in the AIS targets remained the same size. Anyway I don't know if this is a function of the AIS receiver or the plotter, however I did note the AIS targets were the same size on both the Garmin and Ray plotters.

I replaced the original VHF that came with the boat with a Standard Horizon VHF that included a AIS receiver. I connected it to my Garmin 740 and the AIS worked well except I found it difficult to see the AIS targets on the plotter. Even when I zoomed in the AIS targets remained the same size. Anyway I don't know if this is a function of the AIS receiver or the plotter, however I did note the AIS targets were the same size on both the Garmin and Ray plotters.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe it is a function of the AIS receiver in your radio that is causing that? Maybe I will just get the Garmin 300 receiver and see how that works.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe it is a function of the AIS receiver in your radio that is causing that? Maybe I will just get the Garmin 300 receiver and see how that works.

At $500 you are paying a premium for just a AIS receiver. I would want to make sure I was happy with the display before pulling the trigger on that unit when AIS receivers incorporated in VHF radios are a bit cheaper.

My Standard Horizon VHF/AIS also has DSC though I have never used it. Another feature of the VHF is an alarm you can set to warn you when an AIS target intrudes within a user set-able radius.

That being said, if AIS targets are easier to see with the Garmin unit and you plow the Houston ship channel frequently ......

At $500 you are paying a premium for just a AIS receiver. I would want to make sure I was happy with the display before pulling the trigger on that unit when AIS receivers incorporated in VHF radios are a bit cheaper.

My Standard Horizon VHF/AIS also has DSC though I have never used it. Another feature of the VHF is an alarm you can set to warn you when an AIS target intrudes within a user set-able radius.

That being said, if AIS targets are easier to see with the Garmin unit and you plow the Houston ship channel frequently ......

Can you take a screenshot to give me an idea of what you are talking about?...or at least a pic with your phone? Maybe I will search youtube. Anyway, I was reading somewhere that you can touch an AIS target and a call box comes up...and then you can touch "call" and it SELCALs the target?...assuming you have it set up right?

Can you take a screenshot to give me an idea of what you are talking about?...or at least a pic with your phone? Maybe I will search youtube. Anyway, I was reading somewhere that you can touch an AIS target and a call box comes up...and then you can touch "call" and it SELCALs the target?...assuming you have it set up right?
Will do John, but it will be a week or so before I can get to it.

I also have the SH 2150; it feeds my Raymarine MFD units. When I put the MFD cursor onto an AIS target, a databox comes up with basic info on the target (MMSI, name, course, speed, CPA, time of CPA). Clicking on the databox brings up an expanded window with additional target info.

Eventually, we'll pull the trigger on a Class B transceiver; but for now, the Standard Horizon works perfectly.

I also have the SH 2150; it feeds my Raymarine MFD units. When I put the MFD cursor onto an AIS target, a databox comes up with basic info on the target (MMSI, name, course, speed, CPA, time of CPA). Clicking on the databox brings up an expanded window with additional target info.

Eventually, we'll pull the trigger on a Class B transceiver; but for now, the Standard Horizon works perfectly.

Peter, are you able to click a "Call" selection and have it SELCAL(DSC) the target? I know these things are capable of that if you have it set up correctly. I just thought it would be pretty damn cool to touch a target...have a data box pop up with a "call" option and touch "call" and, bam, a call is on the way. everything would have to be rigged properly though. And I do believe it is another reason why manufacturers are combining AIS receivers with their radios.

I've never tried a DSC call that way- will do so this weekend and report back.....

John below is a picture of the AIS target and when you touch the AIS target you get the info on the AIS like in the second picture. These screen shots were on a Ray E90 W but the Garmin is as I recall exactly the same which leads me to believe the AIS receiver in my VHF radio generates the Target display and data.
If I want to call the AIS target via VHF the VHF radio has an option to do that by simply pressing a button.

Attachments

• AIS Target.JPG
    AIS Target.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Target Info.JPG
    Target Info.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom