Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Retrofit to G4 led bulbs from ba15d bulbs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PC...12e44c4dsdQI3E

I bought these G4 ceramic sockets with wires. I like the long ceramic holder on these as they can be more easily retrofitted to existing light fixtures and $3 for 10 pieces is cheap! An LED bulb wont get very hot so I am thinking to cut out the existing socket and glue in with epoxy these ceramic sockets on two wall light fixtures that differ from my overhead DC lights where I will use the adapters.

I also bought earlier the ba15d to g4 adapters.
But I cant do all my lights using the adapters as some use a single contact base, (ba15s) (bay15s), so these ceramic g4 sockets I can use. I could have used these on the overhead lights removing the existing bulb socket and the new socket could be wire tied to the lamp fixture.

It seems the G4 led bulbs offer the best prices, as they have no attached bases for the manufacturer to fit existing sockets and they charge more for those type bulbs. For example here, for 6 watt and they are dimmable using the pwm controller

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018...72154c4dNYwkW8

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blac...12e44c4dsdQI3E

I have 9 DC light fixtures and they are all going to be LED. The dimmer was an interesting idea to try. I was thinking to dim all the DC cabin lights together off the one dimmer, but leave the exterior deck light undimmed. Might not be easy to leave the aft deck overhead light undimmed, they may have daisy chained that light from the rear interior overhead light. I am so not into rewiring by tearing out the headliner for one light. They did seem to setup 3 light circuits, so may selectively dim some and not others.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Lady Maria
Vessel Model: 1987 CT 35 Sundeck
On my boat I replaced all the old incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. For my purpose there were two kinds of bases, one had the pins offset the other the pins are equal distance. Don’t remember the bulb numbers.
I ordered from eBay and got like a dozen bulbs for $15 or something amazing. They have and continue to work perfectly. I realize they are not WesMar bulbs at $20/each but not sure what the diff is and with about 20 bulbs to replace sure did save some $$$
tbtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

City: Merritt Island, FL
Vessel Name: Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Model: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
Replaced all my interior halogens with CBconcept's side-Pin LED G4, 320 Lumens, 2 Watt (20W Equal), Warm White 3000K, 180° Beam Angle, Dimmable, Low Volt AC/DC 12 Volt, JC G4 Bi-Pin Base LED Disc Halogen Replacement Bulb. Sooooo much brighter and a nice white vice a more yellow light.
https://www.amazon.com/CBConcept-Sid.../dp/B01N79LZY4
Merritt Island, FL
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Guru

I ordered the warm white 540 lumen dimmable bulbs, equivalent to a 40-50 watt halogen. And they have a 10 -20 volt range for power.
I then ordered the dimmer since I don't really know if that will be too bright, and might be nice to adjust the light levels. It is a good idea to buy dimmable as they have modified the led driver in the bulbs to respond better to the PWM dimmer control.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
Replaced all my interior halogens with CBconcept's side-Pin LED G4, 320 Lumens, 2 Watt (20W Equal), Warm White 3000K, 180° Beam Angle, Dimmable, Low Volt AC/DC 12 Volt, JC G4 Bi-Pin Base LED Disc Halogen Replacement Bulb. Sooooo much brighter and a nice white vice a more yellow light.
https://www.amazon.com/CBConcept-Sid.../dp/B01N79LZY4
Some good reviews to read including for a boat. Several mentioned they wished they had gone with 3000k warm white color. I agree, that is why I went with that color. More closely matches the original bulb color.

On amazon I bought 4 e12 base led bulbs for the head. Those bulbs can select color temp from 2700k to 4000k to 6000k just by flipping the switch on fast (within 10 seconds of turning off), They are nice and bright. A neat idea to be able to select color temp. the globes were slightly smaller than the incandescent globes. I like them a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Guru

The Allied Express bulbs were as bright as the original 20 watt OEM 1142 incandescents bulbs, but not brighter which is what I wanted. So I ordered these Amazon LED bulbs,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are bigger, wider, longer and have 64 versus 48 LED's but they are not brighter.
So I drilled holes into the reflector of the light fixture, and epoxied in the ceramic G4 sockets, wiring them into the 1142 socket bases. Those bases are real good quality with little screws to hold the wires. I also solder wire to wire to make sure they have a good electrical connection.

Now I have 2 LED bulbs in each fixture and they are much brighter. Lumens are additive.

I measured the current in amps these bulbs use. The Allied Express seller's bulb uses 0.1 amps. The Amazon bulbs use 0.13 amps. This is nowhere close to the advertised wattage for either bulb.

Pictures of the modified reflector with the Allied Express bulbs. The G4 bulb dimension easily allows for adding in more bulbs. I could add a third bulb but I don't feel like it is needed.

This light reflector is 50 yrs old, and like new. All 7 of them are identical.
I also added a second bulb to the Perko exterior light.

My idea of needing brighter lights, I want to install the dimmer to adjust light levels, so want the extra light for when I want it brighter. I made sure to buy dimmable led bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
20181015_135209.jpg   20181015_135226.jpg  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
Guru

I also converted two 12v dc cabin wall light to LED from incandescent. I gutted the original socket's guts, inserted a short piece of rubber hose and hot glued a G4 socket in place.

The inner reflector had some light rust, so I epoxied it, then put some aluminum metal tape over top to make it reflective again.

Both of them needed fixing, including their ability to stay in position. I fixed them better than new.

I thought about replacing these but honestly nothing appealed to me, these do the job well enough.

These are showing the Amazon bulbs. The fixtures are in the Vbirth.
Attached Thumbnails
20181020_091400.jpg   20181020_091322.jpg   20181020_091337.jpg