Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
City: Lusby, MD
Vessel Name: Pleasure Island
Vessel Model: Marine Trader DC 34'
Replacing Bow Thruster Brushes

Bow thruster needs new carbon brushes. It is a Vetus 12 volt and actually finding someone that lists these online is proving difficult. I'll call Vetus in Merritt Island tomorrow, I'm sure I can order a set. The thing is, according to posts in some other forums (as well as my own experience), Vetus is very expensive for their parts. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but I really want to avoid the gouge. Has anyone on this forum replaced brushes in their Vetus thruster? Were they expensive? Alternatively, has anyone found brushes made by someone else for something else that worked? Some posts from a site in England talks about getting comparable brushes from Bosch or someone in Germany. That person was talking 10 times price difference. Any experience with doing something like this? Any advice from electrical experts out there? And one last request - where do you get your Vetus parts when needed? Thanks in advance.

LarryBud49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Here in the US of A, I have found the Vetus distributor (Florida Bow Thruster) to be extremely helpful, and their prices very fair, I've bought a solenoid, an upgrade propellor and a zinc from them. I wouldn't be surprised if you asked them nicely, they'd tell you what brushes to buy from a motor supply house.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
So the brushes are worn down but the commutator is fine? I would talk to an electric motor shop nearby.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote

bow thruster, brushes, carbon brushes, vetus