Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You still need circuit protection (a breaker) between the shore power inlet and the charger.
Im not sure on ABYC standards but the dockside power should be GFCI protected. I've seen multiple small outboard boats with this setup, no problems. if your really worried about it, buy one of these. It's an inline GCFI adapter.
50ft 12 Gauge Extension Cord w Inline Ground Fault GFCI Protection | eBay
Attached Images

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Im not sure on ABYC standards but the dockside power should be GFCI protected. I've seen multiple small outboard boats with this setup, no problems. if your really worried about it, buy one of these. It's an inline GCFI adapter.
50ft 12 Gauge Extension Cord w Inline Ground Fault GFCI Protection | eBay
ABYC, CFR's, NEC, NFPA, CE, IEEE and Transport Canada TP1332E (since OP is from Canada) all require such circuit protection as described in my previous post. TP1332E also requires the DC negative and AC ground be bonded as do most of the other standards cited..

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
............. Meantime - no ideas as to removal of the old shore power outlet???
Unscrew the screws and pry it off.

Seriously, electricity and boats can be a lethal combination. If you don't know what your doing, hire a marine electrician to do what you want done. It's a lot cheaper than a funeral.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
ABYC, CFR's, NEC, NFPA, CE, IEEE and Transport Canada TP1332E (since OP is from Canada) all require such circuit protection as described in my previous post. TP1332E also requires the DC negative and AC ground be bonded.
Just because it isn't up to ABYC standards doesn't mean it's not safe, I guarantee 95% of boats on here are not compliant including ours there's always , and we make out just fine . All the man wants is a SIMPLE charging system, I've ran the setup that I referred to before NO problems. If you were paranoid about it run a 10 AWG cable down to your Negative common bus, and add a marine circuit breaker. Done. But one of those cords I referred to in the previous would work just fine.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Unscrew the screws and pry it off. Seriously, electricity and boats can be a lethal combination. If you don't know what your doing, hire a marine electrician to do what you want done. It's a lot cheaper than a funeral.
Also apply heat, that will loosen up any old cruddy adhesives.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Just because it isn't up to ABYC standards doesn't mean it's not safe, I guarantee 95% of boats on here are not compliant including ours there's always , and we make out just fine . All the man wants is a SIMPLE charging system, I've ran the setup that I referred to before NO problems. If you were paranoid about it run a 10 AWG cable down to your Negative common bus, and add a marine circuit breaker. Done. But one of those cords I referred to in the previous would work just fine.
OK forget ABYC but the CFR's, TP1332E and the RCD make it the law in the US, Canada and the EC. Flout the law and you may end up testing your insurance company. Your choice.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
.....Your choice.
Exactly, let him choose.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
Guru

Sorry, I prefer to tell the inexperienced how to do it right, not how to do it so they can get away with it (maybe).
Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Sorry, I prefer to tell the inexperienced how to do it right, not how to do it so they can get away with it (maybe).
Im sorry, I should of put a disclosure, not up to standards.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Unfortunately...Marinco probably states that the 15amp boat inlet that's designed for charging bassboat batteries after a tough day on the lake is adequate if all that's attached is a batt charger and an extension cord to the boat inlet.

Not what I would like to see...and a much better setup for a boat on a trailer in your driveway but I'm not sure if that's the total 110V electrical system on a boat that it's dangerous. Especially as I posted before if adequate safeguards are in place only a few feet away.

Many marinas I have the displeasure of working out of have far more dangerous setups than what we are talking here....year after year with no issues.

I would like to see an ABYC compliant setup as we are starting fresh with a minimal system so minimal pieces and parts are required...but I also can't get too excited about something akin to an extension cord running to a batt charger on the boat not needing space travel safety levels.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Unfortunately...Marinco probably states that the 15amp boat inlet that's designed for charging bassboat batteries after a tough day on the lake is adequate if all that's attached is a batt charger and an extension cord to the boat inlet.

Not what I would like to see...and a much better setup for a boat on a trailer in your driveway but I'm not sure if that's the total 110V electrical system on a boat that it's dangerous. Especially as I posted before if adequate safeguards are in place only a few feet away.

Many marinas I have the displeasure of working out of have far more dangerous setups than what we are talking here....year after year with no issues.

I would like to see an ABYC compliant setup as we are starting fresh with a minimal system so minimal pieces and parts are required...but I also can't get too excited about something akin to an extension cord running to a batt charger on the boat not needing space travel safety levels.
Psneeld, your position surprises me. An extension cord to a bass boat in the driveway is significantly different than a boat in water plugged into a shore pedestal. We are talking about $20 bucks for a breaker, hardly space travel safety level.

I am involved in a law suit at the moment over a similar condition. Unfortunately the guy without a proper grounding system lost his boat but so did three innocent neighbours.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Psneeld, your position surprises me. An extension cord to a bass boat in the driveway is significantly different than a boat in water plugged into a shore pedestal. We are talking about $20 bucks for a breaker, hardly space travel safety level.

I am involved in a law suit at the moment over a similar condition. Unfortunately the guy without a proper grounding system lost his boat but so did three innocent neighbours.
I'm in between...I see the justification...but I also think it's pretty ridiculous to break the AC system into a bunch of pieces then justify having a breaker at each piece...

In the big scheme of things...explain why a boat on a trailer is any bigger an electrical hazard than one floating in a slip? I know the basics..but really...at which piece and part does what danger exist? And how is it different in the 2 scenarios?

Remember...we are only talking about a single batt charger that is basically plugged directly into a dock receptacle that is protected by a CB.

If he has a typical batt carger plugged into an extension cord, plugged into the dock power post...how is that dangerous and how is his proposed setup a lot different?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately...Marinco probably states that the 15amp boat inlet that's designed for charging bassboat batteries after a tough day on the lake is adequate if all that's attached is a batt charger and an extension cord to the boat inlet. Not what I would like to see...and a much better setup for a boat on a trailer in your driveway but I'm not sure if that's the total 110V electrical system on a boat that it's dangerous. Especially as I posted before if adequate safeguards are in place only a few feet away. Many marinas I have the displeasure of working out of have far more dangerous setups than what we are talking here....year after year with no issues. I would like to see an ABYC compliant setup as we are starting fresh with a minimal system so minimal pieces and parts are required...but I also can't get too excited about something akin to an extension cord running to a batt charger on the boat not needing space travel safety levels.
Yep, it's ashame. One of these kits would be good for him also. http://boatwiringstore.com/boat-wiring/ac/
Attached Images

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I'm in between...I see the justification...but I also think it's pretty ridiculous to break the AC system into a bunch of pieces then justify having a breaker at each piece... In the big scheme of things...explain why a boat on a trailer is any bigger an electrical hazard than one floating in a slip? I know the basics..but really...at which piece and part does what danger exist? And how is it different in the 2 scenarios? Remember...we are only talking about a single batt charger that is basically plugged directly into a dock receptacle that is protected by a CB. If he has a typical batt carger plugged into an extension cord, plugged into the dock power post...how is that dangerous and how is his proposed setup a lot different?
Exactly, what I'm trying to justify here. Thanks.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
Guru

Remember.... I'm not convinced there's any big safety issue to justify hundreds in a system like that or a $39 Marinco batt charger inlet.

But with Fire/Electric and expensive diesels I tend to spend and worry less....
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
Guru

Ok I surrender .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beacon fire.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	26274  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
Guru

and this is the charger (without a circuit breaker) that caused it ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beacon charger.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	26278  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
and this is the charger (without a circuit breaker) that caused it ...
What kind of charger, was it marine grade?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
Guru

I have not been able to identify the charger (yet) but the idiot also mounted it directly over the batteries.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
idiot
Exacly, he was dumb about it, he deserved it, but it's ashamed he had to bring two other down with him. just don't be dumb about it, as long as you use the proper wire, and connectors, your fine.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12