Remote VHF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BC4Lyphe

Vessel Make
Uniflite Yacht Fisherman 41
Hi I've got a Uniflite with a flybridge and am redoing some things. I've got a Raymarine multifunction unit with radar and will be adding AIS and AP. I'm wanting two VHF radios -separate antennas- at the salon driving station and one up top on the flybridge. I was hoping to have one black box unit with a mic upstairs and downstairs and another traditional VHF downstairs. I was looking at the Icom M400BB to mount by the other black boxes but cant tell if you can have two mics connected to it. One in the salon and one up top. If it's possible could I use the top mic to (Intercom) talk to the salon mic? I also looked at the Garmin VHF 315 which looks like you can connect two mics. I like the idea of a remote mic upstairs so I can bring it in when not in use to avoid sun damage. It would also be very nice to eliminate the intercom telephones at the same time.

I bought a new boat a year ago and installed a Garmin VHF 315 because of lack of helm space for a conventional mount. Also installed a Raymarine AIS350. Both are part of the NMEA2000 network and work well.

I am considering replacing both with a Simrad RS90S which has the AIS incorporated in the VHF, the capability for multiple wireless handsets, and a more functional wired handset.

Both the Garmin and Simrad have speakers.

You don't need BB VHF to have two stations. The ICOM 604, for example, allows a regular mike where the radio is installed, and a concurrent remote "command mike". That is how my boat is set up. We have 3 VHF's, each with a command mike. Two are mounted in the PH, and one of the FB. The PH command mikes are in the cockpit and on the FB. The FB command mike is in the tower. So, there are effectively 6 radios -- 2 in PH, 2 on FB, one in cockpit and one in tower.

Oh excellent info. I was planning on adding a Raymarine AIS350 to my C120W in the salon and getting a C90W for the fly bridge. I just realized the AIS350 is a receive only unit. So then I thought maybe itd be better to get an Icom 506 if it'll do the same thing and with the CommandMic I could use intercom. I was reading the Icoms only output AIS over NMEA2000, does anyone know if the Raymarine C120W and C90W can read AIS info on NMEA2000 or does it have to be NMEA-0183? Thank you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom