Remote tank reading.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
I just had a brilliant idea! Someone please shoot it down.

Revel's holding tank is plastic, so it's no great challenge to use the aluminum tape external sensors with a tank level indicator up by the helm, or in the head.

Revel's two water tanks are stainless steel and each has a clear vinyl hose manometer. The existing hose is pretty obscured and in any case not in a nice place to visit. Why could I not use the same sort of remote sensors taped to the vinyl hose?

Revel's two fuel tanks are (still-I hope) steel and are enclosed in the usual Taiwanese ceiling tile. What with the engines inboard of the tanks, I imagine that accessing the existing and apparently no-longer-functional float sensors would be a job for a Lilliputian. However, the tanks are interconnected and valved at the tanks to control the interconnection and hose. Seems to me that I could add manometers made of hose, work out venting the manometers at their tops (since I don't imagine it would be easy to connect to the top of the tanks) and again use the remote sensors taped to the hose.

All five tanks could be monitored from a single level indicator up by the helm.

Thoughts?

Nothing beats a try except a failure. Before you go to all the trouble, why not get a piece of hose and replicate what your planning outside of the boat to see if it works.

Ted

I think it is a great idea just a couple of thoughts...

Since the tapes are designed to be place from near the bottom to near the top of the tank, and the sight tubes often don't go as low or as high, you may need to play a bit with the calibration.

Secondly, because it all isn't cheap, and putting the tape on the vinyl sight tubes would use up the tape and sensors, it might be work a call to the manufacturer to see what they think.

So, I like the idea, I'm just not sure it would actually work.

Secondly, because it all isn't cheap, and putting the tape on the vinyl sight tubes would use up the tape and sensors, it might be work a call to the manufacturer to see what they think.

I'm w/ Dave...
I installed one of these on 2 plastic tanks on a previous boat...

Holding was 40 gal but wasn't very tall... Per instructions - had to use 2 widths of the tape overlapping to get the sensor to work correctly as it requires a min surface area to get a reading

Call to mfg will answer the question w/o "wasting" a sensor trying

Agreed with 'call the mfr'. It's so simple an idea, there must be a reason mfrs don't promote it. Might be a matter of the amount of fluid available in the various hoses for the sensor to sense capacitance. Might also be a matter of the steel wire that might be reinforcing the fuel hose.

More research required!

The sensors may require more fluid than just the volume in a 3/8" or 1/2" hose to get a good reading. If that's the case, and if you have the space, perhaps you could fit a small plastic sensing tank with hoses connected top & bottom to the main stainless tanks.

AusCan, thought of that. Hmmm, "I'd like to order four plastic fuel/water tanks, please, 2" wide x 4" long x 30" high with 3/4" NPT threaded openings at top and bottom."

I'd suggest a call to Dennis at Ferriello Sales. His monitors are this type and he'd know the answer.

Contact Page

If the hose isn't enough mass to sense, I like the idea of a "sensing tank' attached to the side. He could tell you how much mass it needs to sense properly.

Y'all are certainly jumping through a lot of hoops--and prob'ly will end up spending twice as much--just to avoid spending $175 for a top rated PROVEN tank monitor. Ever thought of bidding on any gov't projects? You're perfect candidates!

My dear Peggy, you're not 68, 6'3 x 270 lbs, too stiff to grovel, with knees that howl at being knelt upon diamond plate, nor going in for your first new joint (shoulder).

Since I am, you betch'a I look for the easiest way to do something right in the crawlspace and other small spaces!

Flyright, I've seen the Ferriello info and they've got the usual tape-on-plastic sensors or a diptube, and will present from float-type senders. Presumably the diptubes would work in large enough manometers.

My dear Peggy, you're not 68, 6'3 x 270 lbs, too stiff to grovel, with knees that howl at being knelt upon diamond plate, nor going in for your first new joint (shoulder).

No, I'm not 68. I'm 74...with knees that have never liked kneeling on hard surfaces, which is why I either wear knee pads or put a cushion under 'em when I have to. I'm slightly overweight, but still with in a healthy range for a 5'4" woman my age...still have all the joints I was born with, and still flexible enough to play a decent game of golf and tennis and keep up with the kids on the ski slope.

Flyright, I've seen the Ferriello info and they've got the usual tape-on-plastic sensors or a diptube, and will present from float-type senders

The "diptubes" are not floats. The same type of sender that goes on the outside of the tank is sealed in a pvc tube that prevents it from ever coming in contact with the tank contents, thus preventing the contents from damaging or clogging it.

Y'all are certainly jumping through a lot of hoops--and prob'ly will end up spending twice as much--just to avoid spending $175 for a top rated PROVEN tank monitor.
which brand would be??????

If you're handy, there are cheap wireless ultrasonic tank sensors on ebay. About $50. In the industrial area there are non-invasive ultrasonic tank sensors but for much more money.
If you can't get to the tank top, a cheap way is drain the tank, drill and tap the tank at the bottom or in plumbing below the tank. Install a vertical tube with sensor at the top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom