Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
This is somewhat of an old thread, but looking for advise. I want to add a fixed remote spotlight to mt hardtop fly ridge roof.

Thoughts and recommendations ?

sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #22

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea hag View Post
This is somewhat of an old thread, but looking for advise. I want to add a fixed remote spotlight to mt hardtop fly ridge roof.

Thoughts and recommendations ?
How big is your boat? For smaller boats, I have heard GoLight is good. For big boats, Carlisle & Finch is top of the line.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
make sure you mount it far enough back that your roofline shadows the foredeck and railing...otherwise it will drive you crazy.

if you drive from your flybridge and mount it on the roof...I STRONGLY suggest a manual rather than motor diven...if you can mount it in a convenient location to drive and manipulate it.

something like this -
Perko Chrome Spotlight 12V 7" | eBay

I run the ICW at night at 20 knots for my towing job and there's no way a motor driven spotlight will keep up with the zigs and zags. At trawler speeds they may be OK...but if I had a hardtop...I would still get a manual.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...but if I had a hardtop...I would still get a manual.
Agree with that we have a remote operated spotlight on the hardtop and wish it was a manual. Just one more dash mounted knob to fiddle with at night. My opinion might differ if I used it more often but I doubt it. KISS as FF would say.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
FF
Guru

Those who operate in water where the commercials are could do well to copy commercial practice.

A HUGE POWERFUL spot light illuminastes the entire area , not some tiny spot.

Big lights cost big bucks and big power , and $100 bulbs don't last all that long ,

but if you are into safe night operation , that's the price.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
Thanks for all good advise. Thing going manual for KISS and that do not intend to cruise at night, just for those times that Plans are overridden by fate.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I keep a 3 mill cp self contained battery hand held searchlight fully charged at all times in master stateroom. Use it when anchored and not on bridge. Also, it comes with us in runabout when night travel is anticipated. On bridge there is a manually rotational 4 mill cp wired into main battery bank that can be released from its pivot rod and held to point anywhere from the bridge. As we have bridge with just a bimini sans isinglass windows there is no glare-back. I try avoiding nighttime travel. Spot light beams donít always pinpoint debris in the water that may be easily noticed in sunlight. Night travel is sort of like traveling in a storm, they both can be done... but why make it necessary if there is an alternative of calm weather and/or daylight for travel??

Art is offline   Reply With Quote