Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #21

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Update:

It works! Seeing just over 14 VDC on the panelboard voltmeter.

Had the alternater rebuilt (bad diode & bad on-board regulator) and the old external regulator was bad too. Dumped that and got things working with the integral regulator.

Next is to learn how it all behaves with our use/duty cycle, characterize my loads & amps, that is the fun part. The no-fun part was changing out the alternator as it mounts beneath the 24VDC alternator. I can do it in harbor, but would not want to swap it in open water. A spare alt coming too. And now I know who to go to for electrical, got cut sheets for alternator, source for spare pulley, understand my shore powered charger better, etc.

Thanks for the ears and advice here. I think I will put the next B.O.A.T. (break out another thousand) towards a 2kw Honda generator. I need to design and fab a secure isolation mounting frame for cabin noise to be tolerable.

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"Next is to learn how it all behaves with our use/duty cycle, characterize my loads & amps, that is the fun part."

Your SOC (state of charge) meter will tell all, effortlessly .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #23

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If I had to choose between an external alt reg and a Honda eu2000i, I'd pick the Honda, hands down. I have both and the gen allows me to remain on the hook until whichever runs out first - the water or beer.

I need to start packing more beer. I've yet to run my 75 gal water tank dry.
I've always wondered how the Hondas are tied into the house electrical system. How is this done?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I've always wondered how the Hondas are tied into the house electrical system. How is this done?
Mine plugs into the shore power cord plug with a dedicated 30A cord. I can run any system up to 1600W/13.3A @120V.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #25

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Mine has a plug-in on the flybridge and a selector switch at the panel board for "shore pwr/12V batteries/generator." Good point on the load capacity, I need to find out what that is, but we pulled a pretty heavy load on it with a 500W output ham power amp and associated loads. Never tripped the main but I did have to shed load to run the big amp.

The "funny" part about all that was when the mike was keyed at full load the resulting electric field induced on the thruster wiring was enough to turn on the stern thruster! Key the mike, swing around the anchor buoy to starboard!

Then I started wondering what else that transmitter was cooking on the boat, so we shut it down. Working on a better plan for high power ham amp and grounding. The big antennae may need to go onto the dingy or way up the masthead. The reflected signal from the water can be really good, raised Antarctica in less than 10 minutes!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"The big antennae may need to go onto the dingy or way up the masthead.

I have a WWII lifeboat extending antenna in MONEL.for deck mounting

About 5 ft long with 5 or 6 sections that pull up and lock at what ever height you want to tune for.

PM if interested but its heavy to ship and it is a MONEL antique work of art.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote