Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Although many mfgs have sizes that are direct replacements for Norcold, consider using a smaller unit and adding extra insulation. I have done this twice with good success. I really didn't need all the space I had in my old Norcold so with the smaller unit I was able to add 6" of blue foam board all around. Both the new units had the compressor on top so I was able to put a vent right over the compressor, in one case out through the cabin side and in the other up through the counter. This with a vent in the toe space under givs a nice convection up and out. When I'm traveling each day I load it in AM & have a container of water in the freezer which holds me overnight when I stop for a day and the unit is off.
You are in for a treat getting rid of the old Norcold and replacing with a Danfoss type.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #22

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Ebberdene
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 31
The exterior dimensions are 22 3/4 inches wide, 28 3/4 inches tall with an approximate 4 inch tall ventilation "grate" on the bottom and 18 inches deep.

Ebberdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebberdene View Post
The exterior dimensions are 22 3/4 inches wide, 28 3/4 inches tall with an approximate 4 inch tall ventilation "grate" on the bottom and 18 inches deep.
So is the total height 28.75" or 32.75" (28.75" + 4")?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #24

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Ebberdene
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
So is the total height 28.75" or 32.75" (28.75" + 4")?
Yes. When I pull off the grate all I can see is the electrical transformer and power connections from the unit and mostly empty space. No sign of a compressor. The interior of the cooling space has a small freezer up top with a door flap. Below are two shelves. The bottom is flat with no step up at the rear where a compressor might be housed. I know a picture is a thousand words but alas I don't have a photo
Ebberdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebberdene View Post
The size of the original refrigerator is not as important as the space that's available when you remove it. You might be able to use a replacement that's deeper or differently shaped. Refrigerator space is usually at a premium on a boat unless it's a very big boat.

I have a Nova Kool refrigerator on my boat and so far it's been trouble free.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #26
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I replaced my DE490, 35 yr old, Norcold last year with a R4500 Nova Cool. The front dimensions were the same but the depth was greater so added capacity was ~0.75 cu.ft. greater.

You should measure the opening and depth carefully. Also look to see what the max size of the cavity is. There may be room above or to the side that could accomodate a different shape or size without major mods.

I wanted the next size up from the R4500 but was unwilling to destroy all the cabinetry around the cavity. It works and well for us and was a major improvement.

Extra space, less power use by ~ 1/2. The duty cycle appears to be the same but the current is 1/2.

I strongly suggest you keep in mind allowing space for a muffin or computer type fan to exhaust the rejected heat from the fridge to outside the cavity. It will make a big difference in the run time and the cooling effectiveness. These new fridges usually have a 12Vdc output to run a fan like that but ask and be sure.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote