In Reach Mini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
Just got an email about Garmin’s plan to release the “In Reach Mini” for $395.

I have an “In Reach” now so it’s not a need for me. I will say, I really enjoy having the “In Reach” when we travel and not just with the boat. You can send txt messages and emails at the same time and to multiple people. They can txt back and watch your progress no matter how remote you go.

Anyway, I don’t want to sound like a Garmin add, just wanted to post this to update new forum members to this handy device.

Interesting, thanks.

Here's a link to the Garmin site.

I already have the "original" InReach, so I'm not really affected by this, but it seems like a logical next step. I guess that means mine is now "legacy" and won't be supported by Garmin the way DeLorme did, but that was expected.

If it's the same functionality as the original, it's a great deal. Maybe someone in the market for one can let us know what the difference (besides size) is.

[UPDATE: Poking around, I found a few reviews, including this one. That led me to this review of the "SomeWear" device, which also sounds like it may be interesting, although I'm not sure if it's available yet.

Sounds like the big change in the Mini is a 50-hour battery life, instead of 100. Also, it doesn't have the on-screen map mode of some of the bigger InReach devices.

I rarely use the InReach by itself. I usually access it via a BlueTooth from a phone. I also keep it plugged in to a USB port while underway, so the battery life is a non-issue. Maybe for back country hikers these things would matter more. For my uses, the Mini would probably work exactly the same as my "regular" InReach.]

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I've used the original Inreach since Delorme introduced it, and it has worked well in both BC and Alaska. I also have an Iridium sat phone but use the Inreach more, based on its tracking ability and lower usage cost.:thumb:

Since it uses Iridium satellites to communicate, it will work everywhere. Inmarsat, Globecom, thurya, and other networks have restricted footprints and won't work in some areas. You still have to have either an external antenna or clear sky view to connect to a passing satellite overhead. It won't work reliably in urban canyons due to high rise buildings blocking approaching and departing satellites, and in areas where you have high mountain faces. Even in some situations, it will work when a satellite passes directly overhead, which is every 45 minutes. On a boat in a lake or ocean, you should be OK.

I wonder if you can trigger it remotely to report its position?

Garmin’s support for Inreach is pissing me off right now. I’ve been using it for 4 years and the Earthmate app isn’t functioning right now for me. That’s a problem when you rely on it. I will have to delete the app and reinstall, which will have to wait until I return.

I wonder if you can trigger it remotely to report its position?

Yes. Once you log on to the inreach.garmin.com site, under the "Social" tab, select "Options."

4339-albums438-picture4320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom