Raytheon ST 60 NMEA wire colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VJameslanza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
I'm wondering if anyone can give me the NMEA 0183 + & - in and NMEA 0183 + &- out wire colors for the Raytheon ST 60 Depth?

I'd like to network the information from the ST 60 with the Garmin GPSMap 741xs. The Garmin has a NMEA 0183 input but the ST 60 only has SeaTalk.

I'm wondering if I cut the plug from one end of the SeaTalk cable could I mate the ST 60 output with the Garmin input.

Appreciate any info that you can provide, and would love to hear if anyone has networked any ST 60 instruments with other than Raytheon.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Lanza
"Encore"
Albin 40 Sundeck

If memory serves me correctly, SeaTalk cannot be interfaced to NMEA 183 without some type of gateway such as the obsolete Raymarine E85001. You might best do a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng conversion (Raymarine E22158). The SeaTalkng to NMEA 2000 interface is simply changing a connector on the white Raymarine SeaTalkng cable to a Maretron NMEA 2000 connector.

Tom

If you can locate an ST60 Multi-display unit, it will be your ticket. It will connect to your ST60 depth via a SeaTalk cable, and the rear of the Multi has NMEA IN/OUT ports. It is capable of SeaTalk/NMEA interface. No other wiring is needed, since it's powered via the SeaTalk cable. You can connect the output to your Garmin and port the depth to it, and if you connect the Garmin's NMEA OUT to the ST60 Multi IN port, it will display the data ported out of the Garmin. You'll probably have to go into the Garmin's configuration and choose the NMEA sentences to be turned on for the port you're outputting. AFAIK, the Garmin has 2 NMEA output ports, you'll have to check the manual for color coding on those ports. The ST60 will display most of the NMEA sentences the Garmin can port out, some of the newer ones (ex. AIS, DSC), nor the Garmin proprietary sentences it won't recognise, but it would give you another display for NMEA data. They're a handy item.

As far as the NMEA for the ST60 color coding, it doesn't matter, the ports are clearly marked IN/OUT/+/- so color is your choice. You should use shielded twisted pair cable, or CAT5E or CAT6 works fine, too. The twisted pair is the important part to prevent cross talk of the NMEA.

If, by chance, you have a Raymarine ST series autopilot that is interfaced to your instruments via seatalk, it too has a NMEA output port that you could use to get the depth data into your garmin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom