Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Deerfield Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Morning Star
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Californian CPMY
Raytheon SL70 Radar Display Problem

Does anyone have a Raytheon SL70 radar? I need some help. It was working just great for me a year and a half ago, but at that time I was having some major work done on the boat and took it down and stowed it until now. We connected everything together and the display screen is so dim it is hardly readable. I went to the manual and followed the instructions for light and contrast, I could see changes in them, but not bright enough to easily read.

I had a similar problem with this unit when I first bought the boat, but after fiddling around with it I was able to get the brightness back, but I'm not sure what I did (2 years ago). I used her for trips to the Bahamas and she worked just great.

I'm getting adequate power to the power cable, so not a problem there. I'm posting this hoping there is someone out there that has this unit and has a helpful hint for me. I talked to the Ray Marine factory, but they didn't have anything to say except that this kind of problem is rare and that they don't repair them. I've tried to find a local shop, but no one works on them. One Internet forum suggested it's not repairable and is a throw away item.

Karl

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #2

I have a non-color version in my spares box I'd be willing to sell. Worked great last time it was in service (6 mos ago). If you are interested, I'll dig it out and confirm it still works. Contact me at tpadon@prodigy.net if you are interested.

Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
You must have done this. I am not at the boat, but here goes from memory. After the start up sequence press the multi switch. That should bring up some slide boxes at the bottom of the screen. Press the soft key under the brightness slide, and adjust by moving the shaded area with the cursor omni directional button up and down. Sorry, but I don't know any other way. Good luck.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Deerfield Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Morning Star
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Californian CPMY
Hi Folks,

My experience in asking for help on this forum is a great example of the possibilities. Tomas responded and I bought his display. Tomas made sure it was working before shipping it to me. It is now installed on my boat and doing just great. Thank you Tomas and thank you TrawlerForum.com.

Karl