Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Guru

Raymarine users please help

I'm considering the purchase of a Raymarine E 90W chart plotter with a 9" screen to replace my current Garmin 740 with a 7" screen. Both are touch screen and I really like the speed and refresh rate of the Garmin unit. In talking to the Raymarine tech, I found the Raymarine E90W is being replaced with the E95 series and when I asked him the difference he said the refresh and screen loading is quicker with the newer units among some other improved features. So I'm a little concerned about this as I've been spoiled with the Garmin unit. Can anyone advise me on their opinion of the Raymarine E90W especially the refresh and screen scrolling rate?

Another question I have is how to upload routes I've created on my PC computer to the new E90W unit. The tech said I use Voyage Planner software. Is this a free software program? How do I get the charts into my computer to be used by the Voyage Planner software and do I have to purchase the charts?
Thanks in advance for any help.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Tim, I strongly recommend you bypass the E90W and go for the e95/e97 series. RM was bought out by FLIR some time ago, and the "W" series models were the last models under the old RM banner. They are still somewhat supported by the new Raymarine, and is quality gear.

The new stuff blows it away. The Lighthouse interface is amazing, and the Hybrid touch gives you the best of both worlds. The bew gear has an internal GPS module. Further, the -97 series have a sounder module built in if you desire to use it.

We installed the following gear on our new boat:

e125- flybridge
e127- lower helm
48 mile open array digital radar
shoot thru transducer

-Interfaced with a Standard Horizon GX2150 with AIS output (AIS shows up on both screens). As we have a 3rd steering station in the cockpit, I use my iPad as a 3rd screen. The free RM software gives full control of all functions and is a full sized display.

I researched the various systems, and RM came up as the best bang for the buck.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks Peter, normally I would agree with you on choosing the newer E95 series with WiFi and Blue-tooth. But when I saw this: https://www.raymarinestore.com/index...e62220-us.html
I took a second look.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Guru

I got the same email

I can't argue with the pricing. However, you'll have to factor in a GPS antenna to get the unit fully operational (Raystar 125 or better) as well as a sounder module of desired.

Tread carefully and make sure the sum of all the accessories needed to make the E90W operate doesn't get out of hand....otherwise, go for it!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Guru

I checked with the raymarine tech and he said my current raystar 125+ GPS antenna is good along with my raytheon heading sensor, autopilot and ST 50+ depth gauge. All will connect to the E90W thru NEMA0183 or sea talk. I will be adding a radar later, maybe when it goes on sale.
I'm still concerned about the E90W"s refresh rate. Hopefully I can see one at a West Marine in the next few days.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
My question to your question
If you like those technicisms so much, why you did not take a look at the Garmin 5208 or 7212? Pricing?

I am installing a new out of the box Garmin 4012/4010 with full suite of data, including 2 cameras, one in the engine room and the other in the stern area.
They were tested before installed and I still impressed. Can you imagine the 7215?
P
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I checked with the raymarine tech and he said my current raystar 125+ GPS antenna is good along with my raytheon heading sensor, autopilot and ST 50+ depth gauge. All will connect to the E90W thru NEMA0183 or sea talk. I will be adding a radar later, maybe when it goes on sale.
I'm still concerned about the E90W"s refresh rate. Hopefully I can see one at a West Marine in the next few days.
Refresh rate is decent.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Helm candy that is hard to resist. I have to admit that the Ray E90 deal is tempting, but I have nothing that will integrate with it. All my stuff is too old now. I'll be shopping at the Miami boat show, hoping for some great deals. Fortunately, my Admiral likes all the touch screen and 3D stuff, so I might be forced into it.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Not touch, but maybe worth throwing into the mix given the 14in screen: https://www.raymarinestore.com/index...62115-usr.html

I may need to call Raymarine to see if our older autopilot, depth, etc will integrate. The GPS antenna on our Furuno has given out, and the cost of a new antenna plus the chart chips we need (the old, first generation NavNet) would cost more than a new unit. We love the Furuno radar, but I've been contemplating moving to a VX2 for the chips - going RM may make more sense given that everything but the radar is RM (actually, it is 2001/2002 equipment, so it is labled Raytheon).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
My question to your question
If you like those technicisms so much, why you did not take a look at the Garmin 5208 or 7212? Pricing?

I am installing a new out of the box Garmin 4012/4010 with full suite of data, including 2 cameras, one in the engine room and the other in the stern area.
They were tested before installed and I still impressed. Can you imagine the 7215?
P
I would prefer to stay with Garmin and I looked closely at the Garmin 5208 at a discounted price of $2500 at "The GPS Store". However Raymarine's comparable unit the E90W is less than half the price if purchased directly from Raymarine. The reason; Raymarine was recently purchased by FLIR and the engineer's at FLIR are putting their own spin on their new chart plotters so the marketing folks decided to get rid of current Raymarine's original plotters. The deal on the E90W is only until the end of the month.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Not touch, but maybe worth throwing into the mix given the 14in screen: https://www.raymarinestore.com/index...62115-usr.html

I may need to call Raymarine to see if our older autopilot, depth, etc will integrate. The GPS antenna on our Furuno has given out, and the cost of a new antenna plus the chart chips we need (the old, first generation NavNet) would cost more than a new unit. We love the Furuno radar, but I've been contemplating moving to a VX2 for the chips - going RM may make more sense given that everything but the radar is RM (actually, it is 2001/2002 equipment, so it is labled Raytheon).
My current plotter is a Garmin 740 touch screen and I love it. But I think the 7" screen is a little small for radar display. My current radar is a Raytheon RL 80 CRC chart plotter and radar. I don't use the plotter much and I think the radar is nearing the end of it's useful life. I called Raymarine and they said all my current stuff, autopilot, heading sensor, depth gauge (ST 50+ tri data) will connect to the new E90W. I did replace the GPS sensor with a Ray Star 125+ about 2 years ago.
Once you've used touch screen you won't go back.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The Raymarine deal is a very good deal for the budget minded (like me) if you are looking at upgrading or want to install new.

Just make sure as stated earlier that you add the price of the GPS puck if needed.

Still with a 2 yr warranty I am tempted myself to buy one for my new trawlers flybridge.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I hope the RM quality and service is better. I purchased radar and a depth sounder from them around 2002 and swore I'd never buy RM again.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I hope the RM quality and service is better. I purchased radar and a depth sounder from them around 2002 and swore I'd never buy RM again.
Keith, I've had good luck talking with RM tech's. I think however the best way to get tech info is through their forums: Discussion Forum - Raymarine Technical Forum
They are all monitored my Raymarine techs.

One huge concern I've had is the added expense of buying the GPS sensor, heading sensor and depth transducer if I upgrade to the new technology stuff. My current sensors are all Raymarine and with the exception of the GPS sensor pretty old. After some forum discussions I've determine everything will connect to the new MFD/chart plotters via NMEA 0183 except the depth gauge. The depth gauge transmits data via sea talk 1 which is no longer used. A conversion module would have to be purchased to convert sea talk 1 to NMEA 0183 and then I'm good to go.
As far as I know it doesn't matter which make of chart plotter I buy as long as the new plotter has at least 3 NMEA 0183 inputs.

I've decided to go to the Miami boat show before I make a final decision on a plotter radar combo. Perhaps a better deal will surface.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I've decided to go to the Miami boat show before I make a final decision on a plotter radar combo. Perhaps a better deal will surface.
Exactly my plan, Tim. I've got basically nothing that will work with the E90, so I've got nothing to loose by checking out the show first. Who knows....maybe Garmin will be having special prices on the 4 and 5000 series too.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
Guru

Let us know what you think after visiting the boat show. I'm following this quite close for ideas on our own upgrades.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Guru

Well I did go to the Miami Boat show. I flew in from Tampa and after doing some research found the Boat show people suggested the best way to visit the boat show was to park my rental car at the BB stadium and take a trolley to the in water boat show. From there I took a chartered bus to the Miami Beach convention center where the main boat show took place. This all took about 2 hours and will just pay the few extra bucks and park near the convention center next time.

I purchased a Raymarine E90W which was a close out directly from Raymarine which was priced about half of their current model. Defender had a booth at the show and I got a good deal on a 18" HD Ray radar. I choose to stick with Raymarine because all my sensors are Raymarine/Raytheon/Autohelm and according to the techs should all work with the new E90W. This and the discounted price on the E90W were hard to turn down.

However I was very impressed with Simrad's touchscreen chartplotters and radar. If it wasn't for the fact I would have had to purchase all new sensors, ie depth and heading, I would have seriously considered Simrad.

Garmin is top notch and I love my Garmin 740 touch screen, but again I would have had to replace my depth and heading sensors (if I wanted depth displayed on the plotter and radar overlay) and Garmin was not discounting their displays.

I consider the WiFi capability of the current units somewhat of a gimmick, but perhaps useful for some folks with a dual helm.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
Guru

Tim - thanks for the follow up. We decided to go with the C140W that is on closeout on the Raymarine website. We went with Raymarine primarily for the same reason as you - so it would integrate with our depth and autopilot. We will be running the Furuno radar on a separate chart plotter. Love the 140. It doesn't have the touchscreen that you got with the E90, but the screen size is a big plus for us, being easy to see from anywhere in the pilothouse. That said, you need some serious real estate for this thing.