Raymarine wiring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jukesy

Vessel Name
LUCKY US
Vessel Make
American Tug
I have the ray marine E80 chart plotter that uses the ray star 120 GPS that comes in through sea talk. The GPS has failed and my understanding is that I need to upgrade to the 130. This also requires a converter.

I,m also told that you can by pass the converter and splice the wires from the 130 to the older sea talk cable. Problem is, no one can tell me the colour coding to use. The existing sea talk cable uses red, yellow and a shield wire. The new has red, blue, green, yellow etc etc. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers,

Thanks for replies. It appears the answer is NO. The new 130 GPS uses seatalk ng so it must have the converter. What I did learn is that the garmin GPS is not only compatible but works better, faster and is suppose to last longer. It is a simple splice that must go into the NEMA side of the chart plotter. I just finished installing it and seems to work great! So I went from $500 for the raymarine setup to only $80 for the Garmin.
If anyone ever runs into this problem, feel free to give me a shout and I can give you all the details.

Cheers :)

Hey Jukesy! Sounds like a success! What Garmin GPS was it or is there only one?? Also, what's the splice trick??

Thanks again.

image-1924909346.jpg

This is the unit. I'm sure there is others that work as well. The splice was just a matter of two wires spliced into the NEMA and then a + and - connection. There is also an accessory wire that goes to ground. I don't have the colour schematic in front of me but can provide you with it. Just let me know.

:)

Where did you get it? WestMarine has the same unit for $199 with cables and mounts and other stuff...

I'm guessing you mean the Garmin? It was here in Victoria. I'd look online there's much better prices than worst marine. I should also mention that I got a 30% discount but it is still way cheaper than the raymarine solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom