Old 07-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Raymarine vs Garmin

I got a few responses to my question about the Raymarine Control app, but I'm hoping for some more feedback so that I can decide whether to keep and install the Raymarine A98 MFD that I have purchased.

My plan was to put it on the flybridge and use a tablet to control/view it with the Raymarine app from the pilothouse. One thing I didn't do before making the purchase was check into the app and find out how well it worked. Now that I've done that, I'm hearing some good, but more bad.

So I am hoping for more feedback on the Raymarine Control app and also wondering if the Garmin Helm app is any better.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What bad?

Mine works fine...maybe there are a few things about it that people whish were different but for just simple navigation.

One thing I would guess is that it is just a mirror...you can't do other stuff without actually changing what the MFD is doing.

Unless you get feedback from someone with both...it is a lot like any brand loyalty...be suspect of anything but very specific complaints and get a few identical complaints before taking it to heart.

Can you take a tablet to a marine electronics store and try both? May be the only thing to satisfy you completely.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
What bad?

Mine works fine...maybe there are a few things about it that people whish were different but for just simple navigation.

One thing I would guess is that it is just a mirror...you can't do other stuff without actually changing what the MFD is doing.

Unless you get feedback from someone with both...it is a lot like any brand loyalty...be suspect of anything but very specific complaints and get a few identical complaints before taking it to heart.

Can you take a tablet to a marine electronics store and try both? May be the only thing to satisfy you completely.

I talked to a couple of people this weekend who have trouble getting the app to connect at all.

Your suggestion is a great one. I wonder if I could do that. I saw the Garmin app work at West Marine, but I'm not sure if it's the real thing or a simulation.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
My Gain Helm app works fine gives me full control of MFD via wifi.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote