Raymarine Update ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharliePatten

I currently have an antique (2002) RL80CRC PLUS Multifunction Display with a connected ST6001 Autopilot, Radar, and VHF Radio. Autopilot (which I love), Radar, and VHF are working fine. The resolution and detail on the screen on the display leave a lot to be desired, particularly when viewing the chart. I have talked to Raymarine and they tell me that there is no real upgrade for that system because of it's age, and that I should invest in the new Axiom system that they are promoting. Does anyone have any suggestions on any other options that I might have (without breaking the bank)?

Buy a used c90w off of eBay. Leave everything else alone. Now you have a nice chart plotter that is capable of communicating with your autopilot and you have given up nothing.

I currently have an antique (2002) RL80CRC PLUS Multifunction Display with a connected ST6001 Autopilot, Radar, and VHF Radio. Autopilot (which I love), Radar, and VHF are working fine. The resolution and detail on the screen on the display leave a lot to be desired, particularly when viewing the chart. I have talked to Raymarine and they tell me that there is no real upgrade for that system because of it's age, and that I should invest in the new Axiom system that they are promoting. Does anyone have any suggestions on any other options that I might have (without breaking the bank)?

Yup.

Refurbished Products - Raymarine Store | Raymarine by FLIR

Base your new system off the "es series" products, as they can be upgraded to Lighthouse 3 (same software that Axiom uses). Next, upgrade the radar to HD Digital, and the autopilot to Evolution.

Put your current gear on eBay or here in the classifieds to offset some of the cost.

If you can swing it, go Axiom- it's fast and awesome.

The "old" raymarine auto pilots will work with the newer lighthouse software (lighthouse doesnt need the autopilot control head to engage), so you can step into the upgrade.

The prior es series is better than the axiom in my opinion. Touch screens can be a pain in inclement weather and the es version has a mouse knob that helps a lot then.

The "old" raymarine auto pilots will work with the newer lighthouse software (lighthouse doesnt need the autopilot control head to engage), so you can step into the upgrade.

The prior es series is better than the axiom in my opinion. Touch screens can be a pain in inclement weather and the es version has a mouse knob that helps a lot then.

I don't agree- I have the Axiom 9 on my 15' Whaler, and have no problem using the touchscreen.

Axiom Pro is equipped with the hybrid touch interface, which is both touch and button/jog wheel.

The GPS antenna change would not help the screen resolution the OP has a concern with.

The Axiom can be had in the Pro version which has both touchscreen and knobs, or the knobs can be added as an accessory to the standard Axiom (RMK-10).

The GPS antenna change would not help the screen resolution the OP has a concern with.

Device resolution is hardly a problem but map material. Which manufacturer's maps he used, I had the same equipment on my previous boat and used C-map Jeppes maps without any problems...

And the speed in updating the antenna is quite nice to update the location and direction once in 10 seconds or 10 times per second, so I suggested updating the antenna.:D

NBs

I don't agree- I have the Axiom 9 on my 15' Whaler, and have no problem using the touchscreen.

Axiom Pro is equipped with the hybrid touch interface, which is both touch and button/jog wheel.

Betcha $5 that if you had the axiom "PRO", you would agree. :D

Betcha $5 that if you had the axiom "PRO", you would agree. :D

I do have both- Pau Hana is a full Raymarine showcase, with Axiom Pro 12 units on the flybridge and lower stations, HD open array radar, Evolution autopilot, and FLIR camera.

:D

Charlie, the trouble is, if you go with anything newer than the Legacy RL series display, your radar isn't going to be compatible. Probably not even with the C & E series classic screens, much less a C wide or Axiom.

Buy a used c90w off of eBay. Leave everything else alone. Now you have a nice chart plotter that is capable of communicating with your autopilot and you have given up nothing.

Are all the connections on the back the same as on the RL80CRC PLUS?
It would be nice if I could just plug everything in that is now connected!

Back
Top Bottom