Raymarine Radio Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
On the new boat the radio is mounted on the fly bridge low on the front edge of the dash board.* It is low and*parallel to the deck.* So*if you are seated in the helm seat or standing up to drive the boat you can not see the face of the radio.** It is impossible to see which channel you are on without some contortion of some type and that is a pain when coming into a dock and the dock master asks you to switch to 68 or what ever and you can't see the radio and drive the boat at the same time.

So the*question is, does anyone know if Raymarine or some one else make a face plate that will change the angle at which the radio is installed in the panel so that the face is at a say 45* angle.

Thanks

Why not use a factory bracket (yolk) and mount it vertically to the same surface so the faceplate faces the sky?

That's a possibility but I would prefer it to be in the dash.* The other possibility is to put it at the lower helm and get a remote second full feature mic for the upper.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 13th of September 2010 08:36:58 AM

JD wrote:"* The other possibility is to put it at the lower helm and get a remote second full feature mic for the upper."
I like this approach for a lot of reasons. (ie) Keeping the main radio out of the*******
elements, the new command mics are excellent, etc.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 13th of September 2010 09:02:50 AM

That may end up being the answer in the long run.

my old Standard Horizon has a tilted face, just for that type of mounting. It also has a "RAM" remote mike that has all of the controls on a waterproof unit that is all I have up top.
The newer units still have both features, and now you get DSC and can get AIS all in the one unit. If I needed a new radio, that's what I would get.

JD wrote:

So*if you are seated in the helm seat or standing up to drive the boat you can not see the face of the radio.** It is impossible to see which channel you are on without some contortion of some type
We have a radio on the flying bridge but we never use it since we never drive from up there.* But in the main cabin we decided it could be handy to be able to control, answer, and talk on*the lower helm station*radio from the L-settee at the aft end of the cabin as well as at the helm station itself.* So we bought an Icom Command Mic (which obviously works with the main radio) and mounted it on the main cabin aft bulkhead where it is easily visible and reachable from the L-settee.* We ran the connecting cable*across the engine room overhead.

So if your flying bridge radio is too hard to see while operating the boat and remounting it is difficult, if it will take a remote command-type*mic you could simply do that.* There is no law that says a remote mike has to be remote.

I don't know what your flying bridge configuration is like, but on a GB there are a couple of doors in the aft face of the consol to give access to the storage space inside the consol.* The position of these doors changed over the years, but on our boat there is one immediately starboard of the helm.* We mounted the flying bridge radio vertically*to the inside of this door using the supplied yoke mount with the radio mounted in it backwards.* So when the door is latched open the display is oriented correctly to the helm and aimed up.* When the door is closed, the radio is out of sight inside the consol.* If your boat has*a similar door it might provide another place to mount a radio in such a way as to be readable whether your sitting down or standing up.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 13th of September 2010 09:13:20 PM

My flying bridge radio is mounted vertically on the console, positioned where I can see and, reach it well standing or seated. I cover it with a towel when I wash the boat to keep water out of the speaker.
The boat came with a ratty wired remote mic for the main radio, but I like to have two "full" radios plus a hand held on board, there is LOTS of commercial traffic on our section of the GICWW.
Steve W.

Back
Top Bottom