Raymarine C80 acting up! Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoore

Veteran Member
We got our first trawler at the end of last season, 2004 Mainship 400. I have a Raymarine C80 chart plotter at the upper helm. Last couple of times out it started acting up. Powers up fine but sometimes will not start updating or showing navigation for 30-45 minutes. Sometime it will start off navigating at start up then stop navigating after an hour or so and just show last screen. Might start navigating again after a while or just stay on last location screen (my cruise during this time have been only around 2 hours or so). Could this be as simple as the GPS puck or does it sound more serious? Any advice from the experienced folks here is appreciated.

I’d start by checking the GPS connection as well as power (I.e. is it getting 12 VDC). As it’s the upper helm there may be some corrosion issues with the connections. Good luck! If it’s not that the unit may be failing.

Thanks, I do not think it is power issue as screen stays on just fine. All connections look very clean. If I unplug the GPS connector from the unit it gives me an alert that it has lost connection even if the screen is frozen (not navigating).

We had this problem with a C80. It was the GPS antenna. Replaced it and the problem was gone.

First change the battery in the GPS. It allows storage of the last position and makes finding itself quick. But waiting 30 minutes for it to find itself is much too long.

So I had something similar happen to my C80 chart plotter. Fortunately I was living in Oriental, NC at the time and described the symptoms to Pete Waterson, the owner of Seacoast Marine Electronics in Oriental. Pete was pretty sure the external GPS antenna was bad.

Unfortunately Raymarine doesn't make that GPS anymore which interfaces to Seatalk. You have to buy a Seatalk adaptor for abut $150 in addition to the new NMEA GPS. Pete sold me the components at a reasonable price and it all worked fine when the new GPS and adapter was installed.

Call Pete at 252 249 2222.

David

Same type issues on my e80. Problem actually changed from first attempt, so I am really baffled. Came on, counted down from 300 to reboot. Beam was rotating. Now I just get NO Data Signal, beam not turning. Reading Raymarine site just makes me think it is time for a $5K outlay to get new radar, fish finder, GPS and all to make integrating simple. New Totalscan transducer seem to require mounting under hull. Call the diver I guess is cheaper than a haul out.
Any wisdom?

My thought would also be towards the antenna. My brother's E80 started to go bad by blinking out now and then. His electrical guy said it was about to die. He took the full replacement routine. Brand new full on Simrad set up.

So you are not having that problem, I suspect the antenna.

Thanks to all. I called Raymarine and talked to the technician. He immediately said it is the GPS antenna. I now have one on order along with the converter kit to allow it to hook to my old C unit. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. I know mine is an older unit (2004) but it really is in super shape and looks new. Again thanks for the help. Joe

Just a quick follow up for those who helped out or others who may have a similar problem. I replaced the GPS puck and everything is now working flawlessly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom