Radar from WWII...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to think that a safety type would consider leaving the helm to cover a 90 degree blind spot aft is less distracting than glancing at a radar screen, but if you say so.

Sensory overload has been recognized as a significant hazard for 40+ years as PS as said.
As the amount of data increased in the cockpit, help, driver's seat, etc. by the '70's is was clear that there could be too much data.

Distracted driving is just that. Not much difference between hitting something while texting or running over something while trying to decipher your radar.

And it's delusional to think that the radar is giving you 100% of the picture all the time.

I bet I depend on my radar more than most. But even when having to depend on it to anchor at night, I am running outside to check that it hasn't missed something every minute.
And I'll also bet that I can get my old ass 8-'s technology Raymarine E-80 to give me a more accurate return than most..

More anacdotal advice from a radar newbie.
Partly from being caught in heavy fog as we travelled from the Broughtons in years past. Some of the channels can have heavy fog and a few miles away the vision is 100%.

We were going to Barkley Sound in June ,18. I installed a radar and practiced with it as much as I could.
Going was clear.
Returning was not.
The fog moved in on us and although not really heavy was enough to really limit vision.
Even though I am not skilled it told me there were boats ahead so I could watch for them. Lots of fishing charters in the area and some are hard to see untill close but gthe radar warned me.
To me it was worthwhile.

Get the manual and use the unit. Even an older unit that still operates is better than the one you Don,t have .

Have,t NEEDED it since but still use it, lots to learn yet.

I have Kevin Monahan,s , The. Radar Book and it helped sort out some not great wording in my Furuno manual

Back
Top Bottom