Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
A friend of mine has a milling machine and he did the wedge for me. My air draft with the anchor light down is 16’6”. With the anchor light up it is 17’6”. Thanks we love the hardtop.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Don't forget to make sure your anchor light is above the dome (not obstructed). I wish I had a dollar for every time a radar was installed directly in front or behind the existing light. Even saw the Coasties RHIB with a dome directly in front of the all-around white.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #23

City: Naples, Florida
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1986 36' Heritage East Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Don't forget to make sure your anchor light is above the dome (not obstructed). I wish I had a dollar for every time a radar was installed directly in front or behind the existing light. Even saw the Coasties RHIB with a dome directly in front of the all-around white.

For sure!!!
dkris60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Wink

I think we are beating this subject to death! You are correct to question the best height of the scanner but as some others have pointed out, mounted directly on the arch seems to work for most folks. If it were me, I'd buy the set of my choice, mount it to the arch, (leaving a couple extra of feet of cable) and take the boat out and actually see how close it scans. (Thinking of the great Loop trip.) If not scanning close enough, mount the scanner higher with a slight down angle until you can see both close and distant to your satisfaction. (Use a box, etc., temporarily attached until you achieve your desired range.) when you are happy with the scan, measure the height of the "box" and buy/build a mast that accommodates that height.
Attached Thumbnails
radar line.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #25

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
I'm surprised there is not an adjustable mount that lets you tweak the angle...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #26
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I actually made a shim out of 2” Starboard to bring the radar dome up almost level so that it was not pointing down into the water since we don’t get up on plane. Most mounts have an angle on them to point the dome down so when you are on plane the dome is level. Here are before and after photos without the shim and with the shim. Also before and after the hardtop install.
Dave,

Looks like you could do better to add some height to the dome. The angle were it intersects with the top of your Bimini is too shallow, and you'll loose images close in. Just the way it looks, but worth being sure. With that guess you won't see much for several hundred feed.

I could argue to see the crab traps go by you'd want less than 100 feet, as well as small boats, pilings, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
radarW.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
If it's a 4kw radar it'll be fine right on the arch if you won't be exposed to the beam, if you're lower than the beam by a safe distance your fine. That said it certainly won't hurt to have it higher for safety though it won't do much for range on a small set. You said the arch folds, can you put a higher mount up there and still fold the arch for bridges and such?
If it's one of the new digital radars, they don't have magnetrons and no risk. And they work quite well for short range, like the loop would require. Love mine. (Simrad 4G Broadband).
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
There are some good visuals at the link below, on pages 8 and 9. Various radars will have different vertical (and horizontal) beam widths. Your Garmin would appear to be less vertical beamwidth than this Navico product, but the theory as it pertains to mounting and obstructions is the same.

https://www.navico-commercial.com/Ro...3-003_EN_W.pdf
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Dave,

Looks like you could do better to add some height to the dome. The angle were it intersects with the top of your Bimini is too shallow, and you'll loose images close in. Just the way it looks, but worth being sure. With that guess you won't see much for several hundred feed.

I could argue to see the crab traps go by you'd want less than 100 feet, as well as small boats, pilings, etc.

I would agree. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
There are some good visuals at the link below, on pages 8 and 9. Various radars will have different vertical (and horizontal) beam widths. Your Garmin would appear to be less vertical beamwidth than this Navico product, but the theory as it pertains to mounting and obstructions is the same.

https://www.navico-commercial.com/Ro...3-003_EN_W.pdf

Great link. Thank you,