Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

radar reflectors

What's the reason that most boats like ours do not have radar reflectors. Is it because there is more mass higher above the water providing a larger target, so not as necessary or because of the lack of a good location to put it.?
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Probably. Don't forget that most of our boats have a lot of metal in them from engines and generators that are usually at least partially above the waterline to metal masts and booms on many boats to outboard motors on our dinghies, galley stoves, hot water heaters some of which, like ours, are completely above the waterline, the propane tanks in the locker on the flying bridge, and so on.

Our radar can "see" thing like birds that happen to fly through the beam to the six-inch or so fender washers that are part of a lot of the commercial crab pot float rigs around here. This is assuming the water is calm. Compared to those things our boat is the USS Nimitz in terms of its radar reflectivity.

We have a radar reflector on the port mast stay of our boat but I'd be willing to bet that if we took it down it would not make one bit of difference to the radar return from our boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have one one the round Davis reflectors wired under the radar mount on the mast. Like Marin I doubt it makes much difference but it is not in the way or causing me any problem so I'll leave it there.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

Our reflector is a Davis, too. It's position puts it out of the way and we installed it on the premise that "it can't hurt and it might help."
Attached Thumbnails
LP 1.jpg   DSC00054.JPG  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Being a steel boat with lots of ninety-degree angles, the Coot is a radar reflector.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Being a steel boat with lots of ninety-degree angles, the Coot is a radar reflector.
Yes, I would think the Coot shows up on radar displays like one of the Golden Gate Bridge piers. With all the traffic in the Bay this would seem to be a real advantage on foggy days.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You should have one.
In high traffic areas, to be in compliance with the rules, you not only have to own one, you have to have it properly mounted where it can be "seen" by other boats' radar.

So, to answer the OP's question: ignorance.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Your radar reflector is that big hunk(s) of metal in your engine room.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
TF Site Team

Keith:

Not always. On a trip through fog, in a line of 6 boats (we were traveling together, so all going the same speed, some of us didn't have radar, so we were staying close enough to see the boat ahead) we were called by a passing fisherman who graded the quality of the return he got from each of us as he approached and passed us. One boat, the one with the most cast iron in the bilges, gave him no return until he could see it visually. The others, as you might expect, showed up according to the quality and position of the radar reflector.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #10

Our boat originally had a wood mast and boom but was replaced with a steel mast with a platform for the radar, I thought this would suffice. I'll have to get some one to try and see me so I know for sure.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Your radar reflector is that big hunk(s) of metal in your engine room.
Which in most of our boats is below the water line...
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
I once had a "light boat" captain working the Baton Rouge area tell me that the "plastic" boats without radar reflectors were difficult to see in the fog, even with his commercial radar unit.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #13
FF
Guru

The "best " I have tested , (with my VP pals and a damn good radar ), is the old WWII collapsible units for life rafts.

These are only a few bucks each (when they can be found) and will last for a few months if always left up.

Mount high and you can be seen for close to 200 miles! Or at least to the edge range of a waterborne radar.

Great insurance for Maineaic cruisers ,
where amateurs will be operating in fog after reading DA Book that came with their new toy..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
You should have one.
In high traffic areas, to be in compliance with the rules, you not only have to own one, you have to have it properly mounted where it can be "seen" by other boats' radar..
What rules (link please) would those be?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
TF Site Team

What rules (link please) would those be? __________________
Ron

I knew you would ask. I am presently thousands of miles from my boat, where I keep all of the materials given to me when I trained for the CCGA Courtesy Examinations (now RCM-SAR CE) which include the Colregs and some Coast Guard stuff. I don't want to try quoting from memory, and I can't look it up from where I am now (Palm Desert, CA enjoying the sun and warm temps).
You may have different rules where you boat on the right coast, but where I boat, RR is a "must have". Without one, no annual sticker to show that you comply with all the current rules.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Guru

I suggest that everyone who thinks they have a good radar signature check it out for real. I am often amazed at how even relatively large fiberglass vessels can still have a very weak signature. Our 64 mile Furuno radar is great yet these "stealth" vessels sometimes are there with next to no signature. After a near collision in thick fog at the entrance to the Narragansett some years back I fitted a reflector and a very loud air horn with automatic fog signaller. I fitted a large Trilens on the mast. The Trilens is reported to be the best passive reflector but "active" units are reported to be better. Some reflectors are not worth the space they take up (there is very good UK report from MAFFI). As I see it being seen on another vessel's radar is cheap insurance. Yes, we also have AIS!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Guru

City: Here
International Collision Regulations Rule 40 - A vessel that is less than 20 metres in length or is constructed primarily of non-metallic materials shall be equipped with a passive radar reflector.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
What rules (link please) would those be? __________________
Ron

I knew you would ask. I am presently thousands of miles from my boat, where I keep all of the materials given to me when I trained for the CCGA Courtesy Examinations (now RCM-SAR CE) which include the Colregs and some Coast Guard stuff. I don't want to try quoting from memory, and I can't look it up from where I am now (Palm Desert, CA enjoying the sun and warm temps).
You may have different rules where you boat on the right coast, but where I boat, RR is a "must have". Without one, no annual sticker to show that you comply with all the current rules.
I get a Coast Guard Auxilliary safety inspection every year and radar reflectors have never been mentioned. I will say this though; Runabouts, center consoles, and sport cruisers don't typically come from the factory with radar reflectors and I don't recall ever seeing on that's been added to one of these boats.

The previous owner of my boat left a folding radar reflector on it, but I've never used it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
As I see it being seen on another vessel's radar is cheap insurance. Yes, we also have AIS!!
Very good idea.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Previous owner installed a cylindrical device on the mast. I have never asked anyone if it improves my "signature" .. then again, I can only recall two times we were out in conditions of really low visibility.
Attached Thumbnails
radar reflector.jpg  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote