Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #81
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Art-when you get that page, look at the top and click on "Home", enter "microwave" in the search box and you can find the article. I have to say, after taking time to read the entire piece, if you are looking for some evidence of the scientific method, your time would be better spent diving for the microwave you threw overboard.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #82
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Just when I thought it worked....

Microwave Ovens - The Proven Dangers

I hope this works. Sorry

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #83
Guru

As background info, I was an X-ray tech in the US Army from 66-69 and there was a case of murder by x-ray then. There was a tech and a radiologist that hated each other and the radiologist happened to have an office directly above the x-ray room. When the radiologist would go to his office and the tech wasn't with a patient, he would turn the tube up towards the ceiling and zap.

It took months before the radiologist became sick with cancer but as you all know, in the 60's there wasn't much they could do to cure the radiologist.

I don't remember how they figured out how his death happened, just it was talked about a lot at the hospital I was stationed.

Another tidbit. We all wore badges that were small pieces of film. Much like what a dentist uses for dental x-rays. Every month they replace them and take the old one and do a test on it to see how much radiation you were exposed to.

Sounds great, huh? The tech's would grab someone's badge and zap it a few times and put it back. Nothing ever happened. I think they tossed them and never tested them.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #84
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What is the difference between X rays and Microwaves

What is the difference between X rays and Microwaves?

Answer:

The only difference is the frequency (or the wavelength, depending on which way you look at it). They are both part of the electromagnetic spectrum, as is visible light. For any wave, the wave speed is the frequency multiplied by the wavelength.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...and_microwaves
Answer:

The wavelength of Xrays is EXTREMELY short compared to microwaves. Wavelengths of xrays are from 10 to .01 nanometres. (10 nanometres is .00000001 metres). Wavelengths of microwaves are usually between 100 and 10 millimetres although they are not clearly defined. This means the wavelength of microwaves is 10 billion times longer than xrays.
Rate This Answer
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: NA
Vessel Model: NA
::sigh::

There are two components used to describe electromagnetic energy; the frequency, and the amplitude. Walk outside on a clear day, and look around; a wide spectrum of energy is pouring out of the sun, and we can see the world around us by using our eyes to detect a part of that energy. If we stay outside for an hour without protection, elements of that same energy spectrum may burn our skin. If we look directly at the sun for an hour, our eyes will be damaged. It's all a matter of degree of exposure. A little sunlight on the skin can allow us to synthesize vitamin D from cholesterol. Too much will burn.

A gentle stream of water appiled for a short time will not harm you. Water at 3,000 psi can kill.

Being hit by fast moving rocks (alpha and beta particles from nuclear decomposition) is never good.

When it comes to electromagnetic radiation, you have to consider both the frequency, and the amplitude.

I don't always automatically accept the ditates of officialdom, by the way. We have been told by TSA that both millimeter wave (microwave) and backscatter (xray) machines are safe, so why have all of the backscatter machines been quietly removed? Please don't repeat the recently offered reason "people disliked the virtual disrobing" as both machines do that... The real reason (IMHO), is that in officialdoms eyes, the potential threat justified the means. Now that there are enough millimeter wave machines available to go around, the backscatters are gone.
thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #86
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'm starting to understand the synthetic oil thread a bit better now.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #87
Guru

Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #88
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: NA
Vessel Model: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Yup, I'm all done contributing now.
thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #89
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Just makes me wonder now... lololol

What happens (i.e. what's the difference) to the molecular structure of synth - vs - dino oil when brought to very high heat in microwave?? Might shed some light as why the dinosaurs all perished in similar time span and may tell which type oil we should agree upon is the best to use!

I've heard computer geeks are looking to find answer to this!

Just funnen!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #90
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

PS- If you put synthetic oil in a microwave you get a wonderful, nutritious gravy (see Cooking thread).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #91
Guru

Nuked Oil, the synthetic treat!

Better than Rice-A-Roni