Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #41
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Now I get why the lock guys want it off as we move up or down.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #42
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
My first trawler, a California 42, had its radar mounted on the forward edge of the fly bridge...don't know what that is called....such that it was aimed at my privates when up there. First thing I had done was move that thing to the mast. Safe or not, if felt uncomfortable.
We looked at a Mainship and its radar was mounted the same way.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #43
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
. Also, which object are you likely to hit, one that's near, or one far away...?
Peter B - You are my idol

Got to love the common sense argument.

In a fog, I need precision within one mile. I could give a crap about a fuzzy blurb 10 miles away. That's lower on the immediate priority list. I'll bang that a little later than my one mile obstacle.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I could give a crap about a fuzzy blurb 10 miles away. That's lower on the immediate priority list. I'll bang that a little later than my one mile obstacle.
You would care about the fuzzy if you were trying to find tuna, not everyone uses the radar to avoid stuff, I use the radar on my fishing boat to find thunderheads in the summer (thus the long range) and birds.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #45
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
You would care about the fuzzy if you were trying to find tuna, not everyone uses the radar to avoid stuff, I use the radar on my fishing boat to find thunderheads in the summer (thus the long range) and birds.
Interesting point. So what range do you have now? I have an older 24NM Sitex. Might get a newer Garmin in time. Any upgrade on my current model would be a plus.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #46
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I've got the 24mile. I've figured out the thunderheads part real good but the birds I'm working on. We fish here in the North GOM and you can sure make a day better buy running around storms. My present boat doesn't have the range to make the bird part work. My older radar set up was nice, you could scroll the pointer to a "blip" and mark it. When you mark it you could get the lat and long and go to that spot. Great for "finding" wrecks and Private reefs.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #47
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I've got the 24mile. I've figured out the thunderheads part real good but the birds I'm working on. We fish here in the North GOM and you can sure make a day better buy running around storms. My present boat doesn't have the range to make the bird part work. My older radar set up was nice, you could scroll the pointer to a "blip" and mark it. When you mark it you could get the lat and long and go to that spot. Great for "finding" wrecks and Private reefs.
Mine 24 too, software dated, mid-90s. Not shopping actively, but browsing for next year hopefully.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #48
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I was interested but at the Seattle boat show all the major bands had no plans for broad band. I was interested as abackup for shorter range and better detail
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I was interested but at the Seattle boat show all the major bands had no plans for broad band. I was interested as abackup for shorter range and better detail
I like the detail that broadband offers, but also have an affinity to Garmin, and gradually will likely have a Garmin network going. Broadband detail is awfully attractive, but also anything improving my current mid-90s set up is a boost. Software, resolution, and processing power nowadays is pretty impressive.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

City: -
While our Furuno NavNet radar has, IIRC, a 36 mile range, the reason I have to type IIRC before that statement is that we never use it at ranges more then 6 miles. And most of the time it is on 3 or less. In the islands, it is often on 0.5 or even 0.25 miles (it will go down to 0.125 and we've used it at that on a few occasions in the fog).

Range can be important on the ocean or in large open bodies of water like the Strait of Georgia or the Juan de Fuca Strait. But in our waters, not only is the range limited anyway by all the islands but the stuff we're really interested in seeing is generally quite close to us---- crab pot floats, small fishing boats, etc.

Broadband could be a real benefit in this area where these kinds of short ranges are what's important. As we already have the Furuno and it's relatively new we have no reason or inclination to change it. But were we starting from scratch we would definitely check out what the broadband sets had to offer.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Range: When we scan at night we usually only go out to 12 miles and then step down to 3 miles. The Simrad Broadband 4G Radar advertised range is 36 miles. Talking to people in the industry, they say functionally to 32-34 miles. That works for us!

Also, there is no magnetron in the HD/broadband radars, so no exposure issues plus instant on and low amp usage.

Our Furuno 1931 is on it's last legs so this is a timely discussion.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #52
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The Simrad Broadband 4G™ Radar advertised range is 36 miles. Talking to people in the industry, they say functionally to 32-34 miles. That works for us!
Is the close-in resolution everything that you hoped/expected it to be? Any screen shots you can share?

Not sure if there's a way to plug through some kind of NMEA 2000 interface and have it show up on my Garmin 740s screen I suppose

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Is the close-in resolution everything that you hoped/expected it to be? Any screen shots you can share?

Not sure if there's a way to plug through some kind of NMEA 2000 interface and have it show up on my Garmin 740s screen I suppose
Ben, I think it highly likely that it would be NMEA 2000 compliant, and therefore probably able to link with your current display. However, even if not, can you see a company like Garmin being left behind in the tech race. Mark my words, they will have broadband version out before long.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #54
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
On my last boat I had a Simrad radar/gps setup. I liked having the ability to split the MFD screen to show a short range (1-3 miles) and a long range (24-32 miles) at the same time. The long range was nice when trying to pick up land forms and the short range obviously for avoiding unpleasant encounters.

As to tipping the radar down using a shim when mounting it, as one who cruises a bit faster, I like having the radar beam aligned with the surface of the sea rather than shooting up into the sky neuterizing passing sea gulls.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:

Ben: We haven't replaced the Furuno yet but everyone we have talked to and what we have read seems that the Simrad 4G Broadband would be a good fit for us. We don't use the long ranges and if we did 24 or 30 miles would be more than adequate.

The close up resolution is suppose to be one of the strong points.

It is NEMA 2000 compliant but I have no idea if you can interface it with a Garmin system. Simrad is good about emails. If you find out, let us know.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #56
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Ben: We haven't replaced the Furuno yet but everyone we have talked to and what we have read seems that the Simrad 4G Broadband would be a good fit for us. .
Hi Larry - ok I thought you already had the 4G. I'm in no urgent hurry. I've got a good old Sitex unit now that works. My need is more close-in safety than long range weather or bird flock-detection for fishing. So a year ahead of a potential purchase, the broadband resolution difference is very compelling.

If I take the easy route with my Garmin, I can buy an 18HD radar from them for around a grand and plug straight into the back of my 740s.

But currently my route to broadband is likely buying a NMEA router to plug all components into, at some extra cost.

Again, not there yet, just thinking ahead.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #57
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
This is a great discussion on radar.. I'd like to see the same on chart plotters.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #58
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
This is a great discussion on radar.. I'd like to see the same on chart plotters.
Ya, I was looking at larger or smaller screens and thought to go with a Garmin 4208 for screen size, but the 740s was slightly more modern.

Plus, I got a deal since the owner was selling his new unit on Craigslist. He bought his, but as he partnered his boat with a friend, and friends girlfriend bought his, he had to sell. So I got a boxed unit with transducer for like 25% off. Made the purchase easy. Works like a charm.

Only down side is touchscreen loves my fingerprints. So if you're a messy eater like I am, think twice about touch screen. (Actually, I made all the prints early, testing and playing, so maybe better in regular use.)

The sonar data and graphics are outstanding. Beats the detail of the GPS part. I just need to finish transducer install.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #59

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Quote:

Here are a couple of 4G screen shots. I don't have a heading compass hooked in, so I can't do overlays. One of the most annoying "features" of the Simrad is that I can't lock the scales of non-overlayed displays. In fact the scale settings usually don't match, as you can see here, one is 0.1 nm, the other is 1/4.

The other interesting thing about resolution. I can often see the wake of boats (including my own). It took me a while to figure out why I was seeing two or three hits on boats 1/2 mile away.

As you can see from the marina plot, the close in range is amazing. If you look, you can even see the walkway down the center of my dock (covered).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marinaComments.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	18345   Click image for larger version

Name:	ditch.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	18346  
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #60
Ben
Guru

Bob that's pretty impressive. Thanks for the shots. I can only imagine in the slip there's a lot to bounce off of. Good pic that one. The channel shot is real crisp too.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC