Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
JRC was also the manufacturer of the Raytheon Radars.
I didnt know that. I have always thought raytheon was a good brand

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
JRC was also the manufacturer of the Raytheon Radars.
You sure about that? Our old 2600 said "Made in USA" on it.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
In the delta you don't need to navigate you just set the auto pilot and go. If you hit something in the fog its gonna be nothing but a sandbar or island and at trawler speed what can be hurt.
Nevertheless: buoys, channel markers, and bridge piers keep on "popping" up, and the channels are twisted and narrow.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
In the delta you don't need to navigate you just set the auto pilot and go.
Hmmm..... My boating experience in the SFO area other than ferries as a wee tiny lad from Sausalito to the city and Tiburon to Angel Island is limited to one sea trial on the bay of the boat we ultimately bought. So what I know about boating there, particuarly in the delta, wouldn't cover the head of a pin.

But from looking at Google Earth and reading posts by folks like FlyWright, Mark, Ray, Pinapple Girl, and others, I would be very hesitant to imply--- even in jest--- that "in the delta you don't need to navigate."

The maze of channels and sloughs or whatever they are called down there appears to me to be extensive enough to lose a blue whale in. And even if it's all mud and sand, going aground to suck up that stuff or weed into an engine raw water intake isn't my idea of a minor inconvenience.

Add in the shifting nature of sand and mud bars around river mouths (I don't know if this is actually the case in the delta, however) and the fog the area is famous for and while I know it's possible to successfully navigate an analog-only, muscle-power clipper ship in that area because a lot of people did it, I myself would not want to run a boat down there without radar, a good plotter, a really good depth sounder, and the appropriate paper charts handy at all times to give me the bigger picture.

That's my take on it, anyway, again based only on pictures/maps and descriptions of the area.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Nevertheless: buoys, channel markers, and bridge piers keep on "popping" up, and the channels are twisted and narrow.
I almost got a duck blind once over by the mothball fleet.
I was teaching a newby how to pilot a boat when i noticed the duck blind wizz past 20 feet away at 30kts. He was supposed to be watching the depth to make sure we were in the channel and the alarm wasn't set.
I love to listen on the vhf when out fishing cause there were always sailboaters stuck in the mud asking for coast gaurd help. They go out on the bay on a clear day,nothiong for a mile cept open water so go sailing right into the flats then call for help. I love it when the coast gaurd points out to them that in five hours it will be high tide and at that time they will likely float off. Sometimes pretty funny.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #26

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Quote:
I was told friday that boaters around here< San pedro Ca. > don't need no radar or fancy gps chart plotters cause you can see where your going most of the year. Well that may be true but i like them neat electronic gadgets so what do you think is the best package for a 40 foot trawler on todays market?

Britt
Really??? Just outside those rocks is one of, if not the, busiest shipping channels in the world. They are moving 20 kts. There is fog from May to August regularly and possible at anytime of the year. From Pt Conception to Ensenada the weather changes as fast as anywhere in the world. There are only 4 ways out of that breakwater. Anyone who told you that has not been outside. Best to get your gadgets. And to answer your question Garmin.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance View Post
Really??? Just outside those rocks is one of, if not the, busiest shipping channels in the world. They are moving 20 kts. There is fog from May to August regularly and possible at anytime of the year. From Pt Conception to Ensenada the weather changes as fast as anywhere in the world. There are only 4 ways out of that breakwater. Anyone who told you that has not been outside. Best to get your gadgets. And to answer your question Garmin.
...yes, thats exactly what i thought when the broker was telling me that. At that exact time i could see a container ship less than a half mile away. them big boys kind of scare me i like to stay way far away from em

you know the area it appears. what would be the best time of the year to sail north up the coast from there? I've been thinking of sailing the boat to oregon from there
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
Master and Commander

Quote:
...yes, thats exactly what i thought when the broker was telling me that. At that exact time i could see a container ship less than a half mile away. them big boys kind of scare me i like to stay way far away from em
In the restricted Bay/Delta waters (as most elsewhere in coastal waters), one needs to share the water with all the ships, tugs, and barges by keeping a respectable distance and staying aware (well, duh).

Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #29
Master and Commander

Quote:
I almost got a duck blind once over by the mothball fleet. ... I love to listen on the vhf when out fishing cause there were always sailboaters stuck in the mud asking for coast gaurd help. They go out on the bay on a clear day,nothiong for a mile cept open water so go sailing right into the flats then call for help. I love it when the coast gaurd points out to them that in five hours it will be high tide and at that time they will likely float off. Sometimes pretty funny.
In the 80's ran aground my pocket cutter, with a two-foot draft, a couple of times in the middle of Suisun Bay. Always on a rising tide although once needed to put out an anchor to prevent being pushed into even shallower waters. Didn't call for help. Besides, had no VHF radio and the situations didn't warrant launching a signal flare.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
For operating in SoCal waters, just about any of the current generation of multi-function displays (MFDs) will more than meet your needs. For your vessel, I'd look at a minimum system that incorporates a 12" MFD, 24" dome radar, DSC VHF, and associated sounder. I'd stick with Raymarine, Garmin, Simrad, or Furuno. Lowrance is IMO best suited to smaller boats/fishing rigs.
'
thanks. kinda the way i was leaning cause a fifteen inch display is so expensive. There is software that turns any computer into a chart plotter like opencpn but can they interface with radar?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In the 80's ran aground my pocket cutter, with a two-foot draft, a couple of times in the middle of Suisun Bay. Always on a rising tide although once needed to put out an anchor to prevent being pushed into even shallower waters. Didn't call for help. Besides, had no VHF radio and the situations didn't warrant launching a signal flare.
yeb, many people have done that u are in good company