Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #21

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
RE: Radar

Quote:
Marin wrote:We use ours most of the time not because we are worried about a collision but because we want to stay current as to how things look on the display.* So if we have to transition from visual steering to steering on instruments it's a no-brainer transition.* We have had to do this on numerous occasions over the years and because we are totally familiar with the radar display and interpreting it is nothing at all for us to enter a fog bank and simply keep on truckin'.*
Probably many of us*can tell*stories of when an unexpected need for radar occured, and the radar*saved the day (or at least helped a great deal).

For me, it was getting an emergency call to head to Ketchikan to relieve a tug captain who had to be hospitalized.* Within 24 hours, I was transiting Wrangell Narrows with a fully loaded gas/diesel barge.* My previous towing experience in SE Alaska up to that time was on larger tugs/barges which did not regularly transit Wrangell Narrows.* The transit was daylight and good conditions, but I navigated with my head in the radar and steering with a jog stick, looking up every now and then to get perspective.

The second trip through, there was fog starting at Blind Slough (about half-way through), and my prior experience gained by using the radar under good conditions was priceless.*

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Jay N wrote:The second trip through, there was fog starting at Blind Slough (about half-way through), and my prior experience gained by using the radar under good conditions was priceless.*
*You are 100% correct.* If you learn to*use it every day it will be more reliable when you need it.*Besides I was under the impression that running it kept it working better as well.* If nothing else the chances of it not working, or you not knowing it will not work*would decrease I would think.

I don't think I want to be on a plane in a rain or snow storm and the pilot was trying out IFR for the first time.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
JD wrote:
I don't think I want to be on a plane in a rain or snow storm and the pilot was trying out IFR for the first time.
*No worries, mate.* All the pilot does is make a few menu selections.* IFR is fully automated these days :-)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
Marin wrote:JD wrote:
*No worries, mate.* All the pilot does is make a few menu selections.* IFR is fully automated these days :-)

*Oh. Since this is the "Radar" thread when you said the pilot makes the menu selection I thought you were referring to how they got the meals hot.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Conrad wrote:Marin wrote:JD wrote:

*Oh. Since this is the "Radar" thread when you said the pilot makes the menu selection I thought you were referring to how they got the meals hot.

*No. The galleys on today's jetliners are so complicated the pilots have no clue how to do anything in there.* They need the cabin crew just to make them a cup of coffee.* The "menu" I was referring to is on their flight management input screens.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #26
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
Marin wrote:Conrad wrote:Marin wrote:JD wrote:

*No. The galleys on today's jetliners are so complicated the pilots have no clue how to do anything in there.* They need the cabin crew just to make them a cup of coffee.* The "menu" I was referring to is on their flight management input screens.

*I gotta learn how to put those smiley faces on my comments!!!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Radar

Quote:
Conrad wrote: I gotta learn how to put those smiley faces on my comments!!!
*It can be a little difficult but if you really want to know how to do it, I'm sure one of our computer gurus will chime in. :teevee:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 03:43:12 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

I wish my radar had those smiley faces on those dark and stormy nights to make me relax....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote