Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Radar

Anybody using Nobeltec interfaced with their radar? How do you like it? Time to replace my old Furuno and wondering if this is a good way to go. Thanks in advance for any input.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Radar

I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the charplotter image. Personally, I don't like it, because it is like a man with two watches...which one is correct? While we know the radar always is, I don't like the two images on top of each other. Either way will certainly work fine, but I like mine separate.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

David's sea story is a good one about how a radar/chart overlay can be a great tool.* And like all tools, there are times when it is not the right tool.

When there is a chart overlay, I have found that chart information will sometimes obscure small and important targets.

So the best of both worlds is that you can switch the overlays on when appropriate, and go with a single display when that is appropriate.* Some practice is needed, and as with all nav tools, it is important to understand their limitations.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Most of today's chart plotter radar combinations allow you to overlay on a far better and more dayligfht viewable*screen than Nobaltec/laptop/monitor. My setup is Nobaltec by itself with a Furuno NN3 MFD 12 and all its displays in bright light. Also, I prefer the chartplotter side by side on the same screen as to overlays in tough going.

Thus far I have not seen a stand alone chart plotter compare to a PC based Nobaltec/similar in ease of plotting, saving*and*modifying courses. My "testing" at boat shows and in practice indicicates the really good daylight viewable screens alone*cost more than a Furuno NN3 MFD.

Interestingly, in the PNW, the hazards keeping the yards busy are logs and groundings. All too often I fail to notice logs as I play with the plotting and radar gizmos or am otherwise distracted.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Keith wrote:
I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the charplotter image....................
******** Though I seldom disagree with you, Keith, I do this time. With a good radar overlay

******** (some are not so good) you not only get target info, you also get buoy info,

********* simultaneously! I often run with the overlay on so as to tell which target is a

********* buoy & which one is an actual hazard. If I see (and often do) a radar target

********* covering something else on the plotter, (buoy?) I simple turn the overlay off*

********* for a few seconds to confirm whether it's a navaid or not. (Either way I don't

********* want to hit it!)

********* I also use my radar (and depend on it) to monitor my "six" for traffic. I have an

********* inside helm and vision to the rear is not the best. With "target tracking" turned on,

********* I get a clear oicture of what's happening around me and my SA (situational

********* awareness) is much improved. Next to having a good auto pilot, a good radar is

******** very high on my equipment list.* Most skippers do not know how to use all the

********* features of a modern radar. Count me among those but I am still learning.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Keith wrote:
I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the chart plotter image....................
******** Though I seldom disagree with you, Keith, I do this time. With a good radar overlay

******** (some are not so good) you not only get target info, you also get buoy info,

********* simultaneously! I often run with the overlay on so as to tell which target is a

********* buoy & which one is an actual hazard. If I see (and often do) a radar target

********* covering something else on the plotter, (buoy?) I simply turn the overlay off*

********* for a few seconds to confirm whether it's a navaid or not. (Either way I don't

********* I also use my radar (and depend on it) to monitor my "six" for traffic. I have an

********* inside helm and vision to the rear is not the best. With "target tracking" turned on,

********* I get a clear picture of what's happening around me and my SA (situational

********* awareness) is much improved. Next to having a good auto pilot, a good radar is

******** very high on my equipment list.* Most skippers do not know how to use all the

********* features of a modern radar. Count me among those but I am still learning.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

"Next to having a good auto pilot, a good radar is very high on my equipment list."

Ok, Walt, as I still have neither, can I quote you to my 2iC as part of my case we are seriously 'under - instrumentallised'...if I can coin the term...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Keith wrote:
I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the charplotter image. Personally, I don't like it, because it is like a man with two watches...which one is correct? While we know the radar always is, I don't like the two images on top of each other.
While I'm used to (and like) aviation radar overlays on map displays in my work at Boeing, I don't like it for marine use.* The screen becomes far too cluttered for my taste.*

But for people with integrated radar-plotter systems that do not offer an overlay function-- or like us you didn't spring for the black box that tells the radar where north is so it can be overlaid on the chart--* a "poor man's"overlay can be accomplished by splitting the screen between the radar and the plotter.* If the plotter is set to course up or heading up, the plotter display will be more or less oriented to the radar display which is "bow up."* Then if you set the scales of the two displays to be somewhat similar it becomes relatively easy to mentally overlay them.* So it becomes pretty easy to determine if such-and-such a return on the radar is this navigation buoy or reef marker*over here or is most likely a boat, and so on.

We run north up on the two plotters on the 8-knot Grand Banks (we use course up on the 30-mph Arima) but when we're actually in fog with the GB we usually*split the Furuno NavNet display to show both radar and plotter and then*set the plotter to course up to make it easier and faster to relate the returns on the radar to the navaids, rocks, reefs, and land masses out in front of us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Radar

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Keith wrote:
I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the charplotter image....................

********* covering something else on the plotter, (buoy?) I simple turn the overlay off*

********* I get a clear oicture of what's happening around me and my SA (situational

*Keith, I am with Walt on this.* I have two 10" displays side by side.* When offshore I usually run the radar on one and the chart on the other.* When running in limited visibility or confusing areas, I use the overlay feature to distinguish targets from navigational aids.* It is a wonderful feature---especially at night or in fog.* It takes awhile to really learn how to use it as when turning sharply, the radar overlay*lags the chart plotter.

From starting with a chart and compass to an*RDF, then Loran A single track with an ocillascope to tune, to Loran C, to GPS and chart plotters, I've done it all.* I am a generation or so behind the very latest technology, but light years ahead of where I was.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 8th of July 2011 09:08:51 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Must agree with the screen overloading side of things.
I keep my radar and plotter (Nobeltec) seperate.
But as also stated the overlay feature has some advantages especially in the differential of nav markers as imposed by the plotter system but actually by the radar.
The klag would be a problem but I suppose one eventually learns to work with it.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote