Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Radar

My brother is upgrading his electronics and since my radar is non functional I thought of taking his. Both are Furuno but his is slightly larger. We are going to find out from his installer about putting it on mine. Mine is model #1731 and his is 1932/1942 mark 2. One issue might be that while the platform on the mast is large enough I'm not sure it is high enough so that the antenna can rotate over the mast head light. A spacer can be added, but is there a problem or regulation with regard to the antenna being higher than the light. While this equipment is not new, it is still an upgrade for me and it includes a chart plotter that i can use as well. It comes with the family discount so I'm hoping to make it work.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
If you're talking about the anchor light it has to visible from x-distance (3 miles I think) and 360 degrees around your boat. I have never heard of any requirement that nothing can be above it on the mast-- sailboats often have a VHF antenna and windspeed and direction sensors/indicators above their anchor light.

If you're talking about the steaming light-- the white light that covers a forward sector when your nav lights are on--- its arc of coverage cannot be blocked but there are no restrictions on mounting antennas or whatever above it.

The important thing is that the light not be blocked from anyone who has to see it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

I am referring to the to the anchor light and I might have to change the ss tubular stand to maintain the 360 degrees.

Also, Marin I will be passing by La Perouse bay next week on our drive around the Island. We have two weeks to goof off on Maui.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
I grew up in Hawaii--- almost 30 years with two years off for good behavior for my senior year of high school and freshman year in college and then it was back to the rocks. For years, particularly when I started flying my own plane, Maui was my favorite island. Then the tourist development got too much so I shifted my allegiance to the Big Island. Far less people and development (back then).

Make sure you drive down to Hana. I don't know how much it's changed since I left but it was one of my favorite places to go and I imagine the road is still the same. Great drive, particularly if you have a fast car that handles well.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote