Quick Raymarine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi all, when I took my new (to me) boat down to Seattle, I used the autopilot quite a bit. It's a Raymarine autopilot with a Raymarine e127 chart plotter.

My broker thinks I was seeing things, but I could have sworn that I was able to see a vector move back and forth on the chart screen rotate as I moved the autopilot knob back and forth, so I could easily see where the autopilot would take me. Right now all I see is a red and green vector, green showing course and red showing heading. And the autopilot knob isn't moving either, only rotating the boat itself rotates the vectors.

Can't remember if it was a 3rd vector or if it was moving the green one?

Anyway, I am 99% sure I was rotating some vector directly with the autopilot knob. Can anyone shed any light? I'm new to modern boat electronics...

Thanks,
Mike

Where on the screen did this appear? Could it have been a rudder indicator?

Where on the screen did this appear? Could it have been a rudder indicator?

It appeared to radiate from the boat icon at the center of the screen (similar to the red and green vector).

Thx,
Mike

Call Raymarine support. They have been very good when I have had questions. 603-324-7900

Call Raymarine support. They have been very good when I have had questions. 603-324-7900

Good idea, so many companies today have such poor customer service that it often doesn't even cross my mind to call.

Anyways, they were closed. :banghead:

Will try tomorrow, but I did see in the manual that it could be related to being in Auto mode vs. Track mode. The unit I believe is in Auto mode, which simply follows bearing. In Track mode, it follows a waypoint or route. So maybe when I switch to this mode it will go back to what I saw earlier.

Thanks,
Mike

I had an e series chart plotter and autopilot on my former boat. Your broker is right. To possible lines... Direction you are going and the direction the boat is actually pointing

Gordon

It's been a few months since I have been on the boat, but I think what you are seeing is a difference between the COG and HDG. You see it most often when catching the tide or wind on the beam, but it also shows up in small course changes using the P70R control knob. I also notice it when you get into an area of magnetic anomalies

Tom

Back
Top Bottom