Question shore power cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I have two old, dirty 125/250v 50A cables. Connection ends are pretty battered but no evidence of arcing. I know one end has been dropped in saltwater. Because there is no waterproofing beyond the connection I have had water run out of the end when I tip it down. Definite water intrusion. I though about cutting the cable back a foot or so from the end and checking the quality of the wiring. When I add up the cost of good connections, waterproofing boots, etc. I end up a good ways toward the cost of a new cable. I don't know of any other issues with the cable/wiring itself. Any test I can do to tell me if the wiring is still good to go? Old and dirty doesn't necessarily mean bad I would think?

Second question, if I did replace the cables with the Marinco EEL type would all of my adapter cables still work? "Y"'s, 50a to 30a, etc. all came with the boat. About $2,000 worth I would think. Hate to have to throw them away just to get the EEL. I believe they will all work but not sure.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

I would cut back the cable and replace the plug ends. Plug ends cost $80 to $100 each, vs $500-$700 for a complete 50' cable. The plug ends are more or less disposable with a lifespan of 3-5 years typically.

If you decide on new the old 50’ cables should be worth about $150+- at a scrap yard.

Shop the parts. Google the manufacture's name and parts numbers. I was able to find both connectors and 4 boots for around a $100. Made 2 cords (20' & 30') out one 50'.

Ted

Thanks everyone. I think I will go the new ends route with Marinco locking connections. I am stern in the slip and use two cords to get from pedestal to 50A connection on the bow. The pedestal and boat ends are OK so will start with the connections in the middle. So I know for the future, are the new types of cables i.e. EEL, Smartplug, compatible with my old adapters, "Y's, etc. or would I have to buy new ones. That would suck as they say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom