Old 02-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Big fan of the combined units. When charging batteries with a generator it make sense to use a large charger and cut your run time.

Modified sine wave is not a good idea for a cruising boat. You may buy a TV or computer that doesn't accept MSW. I destroyed more than one charger for my battery operated drill when I plugged it into a MSW inverter.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kimmel View Post
FF ,Not certain what you mean by this.. " Dockside with easy UPS, no big deal, underway cruising ,a big PIA! " My usesage of inverter would be mainly fridge,charging electronics,microwave,java maker using at different times of course ...Is a 2000 w sine wave overkill? Need advice,thanks
I don't think FF has been back, but I think UPS is United Parcel Service. He is right in what he is saying. When the inverter/charger goes out while you are cruising you are screwed. You may have to run the generator full time to run the few electrics. The only way to charge your batteries is by running the main engine. Losing one is not good. Losing both can be disastrous for your cruise.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I still think 2 inverter/charges would be better and cheaper than 1 inverter and a 100 amp charger. If 2000 watts is enough get a pair of 1000 watt (or better, a pair of 1500s) inverter/chargers and tie them together. Now we are redundant x2.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I still think 2 inverter/charges would be better and cheaper than 1 inverter and a 100 amp charger. If 2000 watts is enough get a pair of 1000 watt (or better, a pair of 1500s) inverter/chargers and tie them together. Now we are redundant x2.
Yes, that sounds good too. Redundancy is good, and so is high charge capacity. The more you can make that happen the better.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #25

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Two inverters will cost more to install, especially if the inverters are located any distance from the batteries. When you get into the 0 or 1 awg sizes, or larger, cable gets very expensive per foot. The existing cables from your charger to the batteries are likely to be substantially undersized for an inverter.

If you plan on hard wiring the inverter(s) into your AC distribution system, you have to insure that two sources of AC power cannot be connected at the same time. I believe that some of the newer inverters (Victron and Mastervolt) can communicate and allow for more than one inverter to be used at the same time.

I also believe that an inverter/charger setup increases the chance of failure. Not only will that cause a loss of the inverter/charger, but if the system is wired through an AC transfer switch, you will also lose shore power and generator power to the inverter circuits.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:15 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Opinion: suggested arrangement. If the boat has a generator a combined inverter charger with a 100 amp charging capacity. As a backup charger a 30 amp charger such as the Promatics. Thus if the combined unit goes down you can get AC from the generator. The generators alternator and the 30 amp charger will give you approximately 60 plus amps of charging.

If you do not have a generator things are different, you can't use a charger away from the dock so a 20 or 30 amp charger will be sufficient. In that case a 1000 amp inverter would work.

Many cruising trawlers have two inverter/ charger units in case of breakdown. I bought my second unit when anchored (mooring ball) off New York City. My inverter charger broke and was going to take a week to have fixed. The cost of a marina in NYC for a week would have neared the cost of a second inverter charger. Now we are set up to run both chargers at the same time. Cuts generator run time almost in half. With the price of diesel here in the Caribbean the reduction in run time has paid for the second inverter/charger.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Super overkill,

Nothing named is high AC motor load , a non sine wave would do just fine.

With your limited loads a 1200- 1800W unit at under $200 should be fine.

Use the toaster or and coffee machine at different times from the microwave.

And make sure it can power the blender for Margaritas at sundown!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
My Splendide washer/dryer will not run on modified sine wave. BlueYonder is correct that installation will cost more, 2/0 copper is expensive. Try to put the inverter(s) as close to the house bank as possible. If the inverter has a pass thru for a.c. you should have a "go around" switch. I use a 30 amp shore/gen rotary switch. This allows you to bypass the inverter entirely if it takes a crap. As for a charger backup, I carry a 50 amp portable automotive type charger. I dont use it much but it has gotten lots of other captains out of a jam when there batts are dead and they have a charter. Very cheap backup.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #29
FF
Guru

"As for a charger backup, I carry a 50 amp portable automotive type charger."

Be sure to check it ,as all auto chargers must be checked, that the neutral & ground are not connected electrically .

Could get exciting!!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #30

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"As for a charger backup, I carry a 50 amp portable automotive type charger."

Be sure to check it ,as all auto chargers must be checked, that the neutral & ground are not connected electrically .

Could get exciting!!
Wouldn't this be solved by plugging the charger into an onboard electric outlet? Or are you talking about the internal wiring in the charger?
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Here's how I handle the inverter/charger redundancy issue...

The output of the inverter feeds many of my boats AC loads. In order to protect against an inverter failure I installed a rotary shore power switch. This switch routes either the main AC buss to these loads or the inverter/charger.

That way all I have to do is run my generator or plug into shore power to bring these loads online if the inverter fails.

To protect against the charger part of the inverter/charger failing I have a very nice Charles Industry 40 amp charger installed. All I have to do is operate a breaker labled backup battery charger to bring it online.

This way no trip gets ruined by this critical piece of equipment failing.

Although I boat in Alaska we have great, abet expensive air service. I can get a new inverter/charger in no more than 2 business days. If I boated in an area where logistics was more difficult I would just carry a spare inverter/charger. They are not that expensive and it would be a PITA to be without one for an extended period of time.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #32
FF
Guru

"Wouldn't this be solved by plugging the charger into an onboard electric outlet? Or are you talking about the internal wiring in the charger?"

YES the grounding danger is IN the car grade charger .
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Must be DeFever 48 owners have some common gene. Like Sunchaser I have two chargers. A Magnum 3100w 160amp inv/chrg for the house and a little Promariner for the genset and start batteries. That way I always have a back up. the genset has an alternator as do both engines so those batteries virtually never need charging anyway. The Magnum products are fantastic and their support is A+!

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote