Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Jacques's Avatar
 
City: Québec City
Vessel Name: "Côte de Nuits"
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Pump for Garmin GHC10 autopilot

I have a MarineTrader 36 Sundeck (1987 ) with an old autopilot Cetrek 737 that no longer works . The company is faillitte and parts are very hard to find.
The identified problem : Distribution Box Model 930 617 transistors or other faulty electronic component .
The other components of the system to be verified : Control Unit (2), Rudder Reference Unit, Microprocessor Fluxgate Sensor and Hydraulic Pump are in working order .
After several months of unsuccessful searches to find replacement parts or a complete distribution box , I decided to replace my system with a Garmin GHC10 seems to work well on my type of boat at a reasonable cost .
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/autopilots/ghp-10-marine-autopilot-system/prod13192.html

If someone had the same kind of problem , I would like to know if it is possible to keep the existing pump and adjust to install a Garmin GHC10?
The price of a pump Garmin 2 liter is about $800.00 !

All information that can help me on this subject are welcome.
__________________
Advertisement

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
I have a MarineTrader 36 Sundeck (1987 ) with an old autopilot Cetrek 737 that no longer works . The company is faillitte and parts are very hard to find. The identified problem : Distribution Box Model 930 617 transistors or other faulty electronic component . The other components of the system to be verified : Control Unit (2), Rudder Reference Unit, Microprocessor Fluxgate Sensor and Hydraulic Pump are in working order . After several months of unsuccessful searches to find replacement parts or a complete distribution box , I decided to replace my system with a Garmin GHC10 seems to work well on my type of boat at a reasonable cost . https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...prod13192.html If someone had the same kind of problem , I would like to know if it is possible to keep the existing pump and adjust to install a Garmin GHC10? The price of a pump Garmin 2 liter is about $800.00 ! All information that can help me on this subject are welcome.
Yes you have to have their pump.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,922
pumps are usually sized to the ram that moves the rudder (s)...usually the pump is just a hydraulic pump with a 12V (whatever voltage the system runs on) red/black feed.

if the pump is large enough and the AP computer provides enough amperage to drive it or at least a relay that can drive the pump from a separate feed...then I don't see why any pump has to be special....

it might also depend on your steering system as some need special junction blocks because of a fluid return line if the system has it.

once you have a good idea what you want to do..if still unsure call for tech advice.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
pumps are usually sized to the ram that moves the rudder (s)...usually the pump is just a hydraulic pump with a 12V (whatever voltage the system runs on) red/black feed. if the pump is large enough and the AP computer provides enough amperage to drive it or at least a relay that can drive the pump from a separate feed...then I don't see why any pump has to be special.... it might also depend on your steering system as some need special junction blocks because of a fluid return line if the system has it. once you have a good idea what you want to do..if still unsure call for tech advice.
I believe garmin has their own proprietary pump with connectors.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
Guru
 
Alemao's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers - FL
Country: Brazil
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 629
I use the same pump but with all Garmin. It has a hight amp consume but works fast
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Member
 
Jacques's Avatar
 
City: Québec City
Vessel Name: "Côte de Nuits"
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
I use the same pump but with all Garmin. It has a hight amp consume but works fast
What exactly do you want? Do you have a Garmin autopilot? If yes, what model?
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I believe garmin has their own proprietary pump with connectors.
They all sell proprietary pumps, made by some 3rd party pump maker ...

....but that doesn't mean it won't work..after all the steering ram isn't proprietary...it just takes steering fluid pushed somehow into it.

after looking up the install manual...it does look like Garmin has a proprietary built in rudder feedback on it's pump...I have no idea how it works or whether a separate feedback could be adapted. It's not really the pump that's different...it's the integrated feedback so you don't have to run another wire...convenient unless you have a perfectly good pump sized correctly for your ram and now they make you buy a new pump unless you and/or friends get into electronic signals engineering and splice in the old rudder feedback too.
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012