Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Tug with barges on the Mississippi:

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
This is the tow the owner of the marina built to push the party barges around. Powered by a couple of John Deere diesels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2344773278.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	16397

Name:	image-4276299699.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	16398

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

>>Just had a court case of a tow running over an open fishing boat at >>night near the Sequayah Nuclear Plant. Loss of life was involved. Fishing >>boat was anchored in the channel.[/QUOTE]

Moonstruck - I'm curious - what was the outcome of the court case? I'd expect the fishing boat to be found at fault but....

We have a couple of (IMHO) idiots who like to anchor and fish in the marked channel just out from under a bridge here in VA. When you're coming upstream, you usually can't see them until you're under the bridge due to a dog leg just before the bridge. I nearly swamped them with my wake when I powered down. Coast Guard and VA Marine Police both said call them and they'll come have a chat with them but that doesn't help much if you've run 'em over or swamped them.

Last question is whether being a private vessel vs commercial would make a difference.

Gary
VAtrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Mark, I didn't want your barge to head down hill...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2903_zps0b34a310.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	16399  
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #25

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
We have just recently finished coming down the river system from Chicago to Mobile. The best thing I did was to install an AIS before departing. There are many bends and the rivers get very narrow. This enabled me to look ahead and call a tow by name before even seeing them. I could tell them specifically where I expected us to meet, and request passing instructions.

I used the tow channel (14), and every one I called responded and gave me instructions. They would say, "pass on the 1 or 2", or "hug the reds or greens". On occasion, a tug captain would request we hold back while he completed a turn. Other boaters that tried to call "the tow in front of me" or the tow coming around the bend" did not get responses, as the calls were too ambiguous. Plus, tows do not use mile markers. They use local names to identify where they are such as "Bricker Bend" and these may not be on the charts. I had boaters follow me just because they knew I had the AIS and could stay on top of things with the tows.

It is critical to stay out of the tow's wake for several hundred yards, as the turbulence and eddies can be dangerous. The tows understand that and seemed to put me on the side away from the turn if possible. Some are quite talkative and ask about our boat and where we are going.

In one case, I listened as a tow captain dressed down a sailboat skipper that had crossed over at the last minute and tried to pass on the opposite side the tow had instructed. He was really heated up and I can understand why. Tows can not stop for hundreds of yards and turning is painfully slow and subject to wind and river current disruptions. He almost ran over them. Follow their instructions and do not get in their way.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Walnut Creek
Vessel Model: Currently Chartering
Thanks for the info! I think I get the instruction when approaching head-on, pass on the ones means port to port and twos is starboard to starboard. Not sure what "hugging the reds" mean in the same situation. Starboard to starboard? What about if I want to overtake them. Does pass on the ones mean I leave them on my port? Same question about "hugging the reds". Does that mean I leave them on my starboard?
This is complicated! Why don't they just say, "pass me on my starboard" or "pass me on my port"?
Or maybe I should take markpierce's advice and just, "stay the heck out of their way"!
Thanks again,
Johnny
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I don't recall the Jerico guys using the jargon, as the Petaulma is not that busy a water way. And the barges are nowhere near the size they are on the Mississippi. Just ask them what they want you to do. Don't be afraid to call them on the phone and ask before you make the trip.

And yes port is always your 1 side. On overtaking it is how the pass looks from the overtaking vessel, so it always looks the same , a 1 whistle is passing the other boat leaving them to port, a 2 is leaving them to your starboard.

Some other places around the country, like down on the Gulf, the guys will also refer to your/my "red" or your/my "green" , red being the color of your port running light and green the color of the starboard. So you'll hear stuff like "I'll see you on your green" meaning he will pass you on your starboard side.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtrawlerguy View Post
>>Just had a court case of a tow running over an open fishing boat at >>night near the Sequayah Nuclear Plant. Loss of life was involved. Fishing >>boat was anchored in the channel.
Moonstruck - I'm curious - what was the outcome of the court case? I'd expect the fishing boat to be found at fault but....

Gary[/QUOTE]

All I know right now is that the judge refused to dismiss on a summary judgement. Here is the story of the indictment. I know Pete Serodino that owns the towing company. In fact he lives on the street my son lives on.

Towboat master in collision with fishing boat charged with homicide - Professional Mariner - June/July 2011

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ot-guilty-dea/
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post

Fuel consumption just went way up!
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Just FYI, on the GICW the tows are on Channel 13 all the way to Bolivar Roads(Galveston) and then they switch over to 16 West of Bolivar all the way to Port Isabel. And in fact, they do use mile markers very much so. And they are usually not rounded off to the nearest 5 miles which is how they are marked. They will measure to the nearest mark on the chart and use that. So if there is no landmark to refer to, they use mile makers...ie you will almost always get a response if you call the tow at mile marker 392(WHL)....they know exactly where they are.

"Hug the greens" simply means to hug the side of the channel where the green markers are. That is the West side of the Mississippi River and the South side of the GICW.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #31
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
"Hug the greens" simply means to hug the side of the channel where the green markers are.
That's how I've always heard it used, never heard it refer to the running lights.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #32

City: Maumelle, AR
A couple of items from this subject. First, I have used the mile marker many times and have always had my position recognized. Second, and this seems a bit trival, the tow boat captains do not like for their boat to be referred to as a "barge". Call for the upbound boat, not the upbound barge.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
^^ I typically refer to them as "Tow's"... 'Northbound Tow' 'Upbound Tow' etc rather than just boat.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
But it was headed down river!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
My job is somewhat similar to a tow boat captain in this regard. I listen to the radio for a living. Just remember. He has other tasks that he is doing besides listening to the radio. He basically is just keying on certain words. If he does not hear those words, he does not hear anything. The likely words he is keying on is his boat's name and/or his location. If you do not know either when you call, then you won't likely get a response. That is the human factors side of it!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That's how I've always heard it used, never heard it refer to the running lights.
I wasn't referring to "hugging the greens" vis the running lights. That wouldn't make you very popular.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #37

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I've got a friend who is a towboat captain on the Mississippi. He says, "Always call on the VHF"...and when he says overtake on two whistles, he means you should turn to port to pass.

And I also learned that waiting for commercial traffic to pass by staying in shallow water at a bend is not always a good idea. I've seen the pusher nudge the bank with the lead barge to negotiate a turn.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I've got a friend who is a towboat captain on the Mississippi. He says, "Always call on the VHF"...and when he says overtake on two whistles, he means you should turn to port to pass.

And I also learned that waiting for commercial traffic to pass by staying in shallow water at a bend is not always a good idea. I've seen the pusher nudge the bank with the lead barge to negotiate a turn.
In a bend in the channel stay out of a tow's way. You can never tell how his is going to set up to swing around the curve.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #39
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You bet! I've turned and run the other way when one tow is slowly passing another in a narrow area. Specifially one part of the ICW between Ellender, LA and Port Arthur TX.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #40
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
"On the one" you will be on the right.

"On the two" you will be on the left
Overtaking or meeting, given to me by Charles C
Steve W