Vessel Name: Rhode waves
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
No.

Rhodewaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #22

City: Punta gorda
I spoke with Mack boring wanted to know if I could get data to my raymarine E120 and I was told no

Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodewaves View Post
I spoke with Mack boring wanted to know if I could get data to my raymarine E120 and I was told no
I believe that is incorrect- the E120 is capable of displaying engine data.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Project- Engine gauges- analog to NMEA 2000

So...that engine panel in the 2nd image of the original post - thatís the 15Ē Raymarine display at 1280x800? Iíve looked at that image in detail - it would work for me but I cannot dedicate that much physical space.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
No.
So, it's pretty simple.

Get the gauge translation hardware of your choice (Noland, Actisense, or Chetco), connect it to the gauges or sensors/NMEA network, tweak the programming, and you're set.

That said, the devil is in the details.
  • Is your vessel a single station or dual station? The gauge senders are different.
  • Do you have a NMEA 2k network installed?
  • Do you plan to hook up to the senders or piggyback off the gauges?
  • What is your skill set in electrical systems? In pulling cables/creating a NMEA2k backbone system?

For fuel usage, you'll need to install a separate fuel flow system (probably Maretron) and make sure that there is a NMEA drop in the engine room.

By battery management, do you mean voltage only or amp hour data? That too is a separate system.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
So...that engine panel in the 2nd image of the original post - thatís the 15Ē Raymarine display at 1280x800? Iíve looked at that image in detail - it would work for me but I cannot dedicate that much physical space.
That is the GS165 Raymarine at its standard resolution (1280x800). I used to have the Axion 12" at the lower helm, but decided to go with the GS to complement the 19' Mac Mini monitor already in the lower console.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #27

City: Punta gorda
Iím pretty capable and have done backbone systems before. So I guess my question is these devices convert engine data, so it can be seen on my E120? What do you feel is the best system to enable engine data on my E120
Old 04-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Iím pretty capable and have done backbone systems before. So I guess my question is these devices convert engine data, so it can be seen on my E120? What do you feel is the best system to enable engine data on my E120
Chetco SeaGauge Pro, hands down.

Did some hard research, and found that the Chetco had everything I required:
  • robust hardware
  • wiring- the Chetco came with ready to install harnesses that make it a plug and play (no tiny wires into screwblocks to mess with)
  • the ability to monitor 3 engines (tach) as up to 12 digital switches
  • Most importantly-the support (US based) that is critical to getting the system to work properly.

When I called Chetco, I found that they asked the right questions to make the install as easy as possible (gauge manufacturer/type, whether the engines have single or dual senders, whether the install will be parallel with the gauges or stand-alone, etc). They had the base programming tables for VDO gauges on file, which made the final programming easier.

When I had a challenge with the Raymarine seeing a particular PGN, Chetco emailed me the file to make it work.

Thatís my opinion- read here for another opine:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...-gauge-g2.html

Old 04-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I have a Noland system, and it's great, but what you're saying about the Chetco sounds good too. I'd give it a hard look if I had it to do over again. For one thing, it supports more channels of data, and the wiring harness seems like it might be helpful, too.

Thanks for posting!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #30
Guru

I'm getting closer to doing this. FWIW, I have twin Cummins 5.9s circa 1999 - all of the gauges work but they are showing some crazing on the lenses and only about half of the lights work. I'm fighting a separate problem with my fuel gauge. I'm redoing the electronics panel with with an Axiom 12 and 12 Pro which leaves a couple of smaller displays needing to relocate, and the instrument view of the Axiom is much more space efficient than the physical gauges.

Reading the Chetco docs, I see they mention using existing senders or replacing with some with "high precision pressure senders" - I'm thinking I'll keep all the existing senders. The pulse (rpm) senders are particularly important because they come from the synchronizer.

And now I"m wondering about engine hours. Lighthouse 3 has a field for this, but I think it's read-only and the hours come from the SeaGauge. But the docs for that just mention a dynamic value.

1) Is there an option to set an initial hours value? I'm thinking there would have to be.

2) Is the SeaGauge intelligent about accumulating hours? One of the problems with the key-based hourmeters is leaving a key on...for maintenance for example. How does the SeaGauge know the engine is "running"? The docs note "Unit should have power applied when key is in the accessory or run position and power removed when key is off" - but I'm not excited about having to turn the key on to check fuel level or hours (for example) and would prefer to leave it operational while I'm aboard.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I'm getting closer to doing this. FWIW, I have twin Cummins 5.9s circa 1999 - all of the gauges work but they are showing some crazing on the lenses and only about half of the lights work. I'm fighting a separate problem with my fuel gauge. I'm redoing the electronics panel with with an Axiom 12 and 12 Pro which leaves a couple of smaller displays needing to relocate, and the instrument view of the Axiom is much more space efficient than the physical gauges.

Reading the Chetco docs, I see they mention using existing senders or replacing with some with "high precision pressure senders" - I'm thinking I'll keep all the existing senders. The pulse (rpm) senders are particularly important because they come from the synchronizer.

And now I"m wondering about engine hours. Lighthouse 3 has a field for this, but I think it's read-only and the hours come from the SeaGauge. But the docs for that just mention a dynamic value.

1) Is there an option to set an initial hours value? I'm thinking there would have to be.

2) Is the SeaGauge intelligent about accumulating hours? One of the problems with the key-based hourmeters is leaving a key on...for maintenance for example. How does the SeaGauge know the engine is "running"? The docs note "Unit should have power applied when key is in the accessory or run position and power removed when key is off" - but I'm not excited about having to turn the key on to check fuel level or hours (for example) and would prefer to leave it operational while I'm aboard.
For now, I elected to leave the factory alarms (combo low oil pressure/ high temp) and engine hour meters in place, so I donít have a solid answer for those questions.

I used the existing senders on the engines, including for the tachs. Iíll be using the 3rd pulse input for the genset, and installing a N2k drop for a Maretron or similar fuel flow system.

Fuel level is still analog sight glass.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
For now, I elected to leave the factory alarms (combo low oil pressure/ high temp) and engine hour meters in place, so I donít have a solid answer for those questions.

I used the existing senders on the engines, including for the tachs. Iíll be using the 3rd pulse input for the genset, and installing a N2k drop for a Maretron or similar fuel flow system.
Thank you for indulging my curiosity - a couple more questions. Did you power the display from the key switch like the manual specifies? Having the key on to monitor the generator, for example, seems like a design flaw. I will have to ask about that.

And I see you're using the default display - are your trim tabs enabled?

Again, thank you for answering my questions.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for indulging my curiosity - a couple more questions. Did you power the display from the key switch like the manual specifies? Having the key on to monitor the generator, for example, seems like a design flaw. I will have to ask about that.

And I see you're using the default display - are your trim tabs enabled?

Again, thank you for answering my questions.
Our displays are on a dedicated breaker, so no keys to fuss with. When I get the I70s for tank/systems monitoring while inport, they too will be on a dedicated breaker.

No trim tabs on our boat.

The display photo shown is the default display- still playing a bit with the options.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Coral Gables
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
Just to chime in on one of Refugio's questions regarding engine hours. The Chetco does allow you to input a starting number for hours to count from. I'm pretty sure it only counts when rpm is greater than a set value.
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic1 View Post
Just to chime in on one of Refugio's questions regarding engine hours. The Chetco does allow you to input a starting number for hours to count from. I'm pretty sure it only counts when rpm is greater than a set value.
Excellent! That's exactly what I was hoping. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #36
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Excellent! That's exactly what I was hoping. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger.
Another vote for Chetco. Freed up a lot of helm space by connecting up my twin 6bta's to compact Chetco displays at both helms. I didn't need to change or add any senders.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #37
Guru

Project- Engine gauges- analog to NMEA 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Another vote for Chetco. Freed up a lot of helm space by connecting up my twin 6bta's to compact Chetco displays at both helms. I didn't need to change or add any senders.
I too have twin 6bta. Can you share a wider picture of your dash?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #38
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Sure, happy to. In the lower helm pic below, the Chetco gauges panel is to the Stb of the MFD. At the fly helm, it is the illuminated panel to the Port side of the monitor. At the lower helm, all that now empty space to the left of the throttle/gear controls used to be occupied with analogue gauges. Now it is where I sit a keyboard connected to the MFD. Removing the large analogue panels from the flybridge allowed me to build the new housing you see in the pic, a huge improvement in the visibility of instruments and screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Lower Helm.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	87593   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Flybridge Helm.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	87594  
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Sure, happy to. In the lower helm pic below, the Chetco gauges panel is to the Stb of the MFD. At the fly helm, it is the illuminated panel to the Port side of the monitor. At the lower helm, all that now empty space to the left of the throttle/gear controls used to be occupied with analogue gauges. Now it is where I sit a keyboard connected to the MFD. Removing the large analogue panels from the flybridge allowed me to build the new housing you see in the pic, a huge improvement in the visibility of instruments and screens.
Most excellent!

Old 04-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Removing the large analogue panels from the flybridge allowed me to build the new housing you see in the pic, a huge improvement in the visibility of instruments and screens.
Thanks for the images. How many hours have you run with this configuration? A small part of me is wondering if - after almost 40 years of regular gauges - my mind is going miss them.