Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Eureka!!!

I left the unit on the boat last Friday after returning from our anchor out. I left the banks tied together and on the portable 10A smart charger for a couple of days while I pondered this problem further. On Sunday, I returned to the boat and found the batteries at full charge. I disconnected the portable charger, turned off all loads and removed the ProMariner charger to bring home for bench testing.

I found a troubleshooting procedure on the ProMariner website and the unit passed on home 110V power. Now I started feeling better and felt I was closing in on the culprit. The ONLY components left to suspect were the 12V leads from the charger to the batteries. I had previously tested them for continuity and they all passed. I even disconnected them from the batteries and the voltage readings from the charger were normal.

I returned to the boat today committed to replace all 12V leads from the charger to the batteries. When I removed and disassembled the hot lead from house bank I immediately found the culprit.

Here's what I found when I peeled back the shrink tube:

Here's what it looked like when I removed the insulation...6 strands connected, 13 strands broken!

This weak connection passed continuity tests with the ohmmeter and carried voltage with no load when disconnected from the battery. But this could not carry and sizable current and resulted in my low current flow into the batteries and the failure to boost the bank voltage. When I connected a new 6 guage cable, the voltage immediately rose to over 14V.

I believe I can label this Case Closed. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions and support.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I believe I can label this Case Closed. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions and support.
Nice work!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Guru

You stuck with it and found the problem which proved to be an easy fix.

I suspect that if you hired this problem out you would have a new unnecessary battery charger and would have paid 1000 times what it will cost you to replace those ring connectors.

Today I paid an air-conditioning guy $183 to replace a capacitor on my home air conditioning unit. The capacitor was probably less than $25. I took notes, never again.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Today I paid an air-conditioning guy $183 to replace a capacitor on my home air conditioning unit. The capacitor was probably less than $25. I took notes, never again.
Tim, take a look here

Capacitors - GlobalIndustrial.com
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Guru

Thanks Don, where were you 12 hours ago.

I was guessing $25 was a bit much. The same thing happened 3 years ago, but I didn't pay attention. So the capacitor lasted 3 years, made in China. If it was replaced by an American one costing 10x times as much it would have cost $35. If it had lasted 10 years I would have saved hundreds of dollars.
Problem is, can you find an American made one?

Note; all the Chinese capacitors have American names.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote