Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Pretty sure my NEWCO charger died

No charge today. Measuring 120 VAC coming in on shore power but below 5VDC on the charge side. Amperage needle on the pin on all six settings and low voltage on the batteries.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting or replacement? Considering this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/proma...67?recordNum=9
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Great replacement..

Troubleshooting is tough without seeing the total setup and electrical system plys knowing a little about the charger.

Without a doubt, hooked to a known good, slightly discharged battery with fresh connections it should sense and work normally....14 plus volts and rated amps down to sonething above 10 at least depending on battery and depth of discharge.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I agree with the above. And that is a very nice charger. But do you hang out on the hook much and do you have a genset. If so I would buy a bigger charger to load the generator more and reduce running time. But if you are mostly at the dock, that 20A charger should be fine for you.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Any suggestions for troubleshooting or replacement? Considering this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/proma...67?recordNum=9
The ProNauticP line seems to get good marks on the 'net. We've gotten good service from our older ProTech 1240P, and last year we installed one of their inverter/charger combinations and that seems to be working according to plan.

Sometimes seems like a goofy company, though. Phone support has been decent; e-mail support, not so much.

The inverter/charger comes with a labeled profile for custom charging... but once installed we find out that was never implemented. The manual could well have mentioned that, but no... OTOH, others have said that feature is indeed implemented on the ProNauticP chargers.

Also, the inverter/charger is a PSW model, but it comes with a remote unit labelled as QSW. Why, I asked? 'Cause they'd have to make a separate remote unit, they replied. Hmmm.... big whoop.

FWIW, I'd consider a model that's larger than the illustrated version in that link (30A pictured, price is for 20A selection), no matter what your current charger amperage was. And then I'd shop the 'net, 'cause you might find better prices elsewhere. We source the inverter/charger from Hodges Marine in FL.

-Chris
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: CT
I think their design comes from Sterling Power.

Also look for his ProCharge Ultra

PKSYS, Bay-marine

Try Maine Sail / CMS if you want to support his work ​ compassmarineservices@gmail.com
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
So is ammeter pegged on zero or at full amps? If on full amps you might have a shorted batt.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
I installed a Promariner 1260P this year after my 16 YO Xantrex died. Specs and construction quality are excellent and they have a great warranty and repair policy, too.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Guru

jump up to at least the 50 amp.

In conjunction with my Promariner pure sine wave inverter charger rated at 70 amps, they both top off my 6 golf cart batteries in an hour or so from 80 percent state of charge.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
So is ammeter pegged on zero or at full amps? If on full amps you might have a shorted batt.
Zero.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Guru

psneeld, good to hear. Why are you running both?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Some chargers (for reasons unknown to me) will not start charging unless volts are above a certain point. Ran into this on a Mainship, can't remember brand. Hooked up a non-smart car charger and then the boat charger came to life. Weird.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
Guru

Ski, I think most smart chargers that dont have the power supply feature do the same as they think it is a faulty battery without some number of volts present. Several of mine are like that.

Airstream, with both running off the generator, my run time is cut in half. When at the dock, the inverter/charger is plenty.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
Guru

I plan to throw a smart charger on there today and see what happens with the batteries.

Good advice all around. I've been suspicious of the LEWCO since getting the boat as it's such a basic approach to battery maintenance. My tech lovingly referred to these as 'dial a boil' - which didn't help my confidence.

The plan is to update/upgrade systems when needed, the charger was already on the list so I'll likely replace with the ProMariner 1250 and be done with it. Step one in a larger battery bank project.

Amazon has the charger and the helm remote for less than WM and way less than Fisheries.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Keep in mind that for AGM longevity it's worth getting up to .4C charge rate.

So 160A for a 400 AH bank.

For Lifeline that's their starting *minimum* recommendation.

.2C (20A per 100AH capacity) is OK for FLA.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The ProNauticP line seems to get good marks on the 'net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I think their design comes from Sterling Power.

Also look for his ProCharge Ultra

PKSYS, Bay-marine

Try Maine Sail / CMS if you want to support his work ​ compassmarineservices@gmail.com

Put a 40 amp sterling in a few years ago and have been very happy with it. Very configurable to your battery types. With the remote panel it makes for a user friendly package. I particularly like that it floats at a battery friendly 13.0 V when dockside..
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
top off my 6 golf cart batteries in an hour or so from 80 percent state of charge.
Then you are defining Full way too early.

Try holding Absorb until trailing amps acceptance rate falls to .005C (1/2 Amp per 100AH).

That is 100% Full, and usually takes lead at least 3-4 hours, even for high-CAR AGM chemistries. Stopping significantly earlier drastically shortens bank life.

Obviously burning dino juice to get there is wasteful, but solar can handle that "long tail" beautifully, by using the high-amp fuel sources in the early morning to get to 80-85% first.

Shore power, you have all night, but you need to get Hold Absorb time calibrated correctly, even the best chargers default settings are prone to premature infloatulation.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
In conjunction with my Promariner pure sine wave inverter charger rated at 70 amps, they both top off my 6 golf cart batteries in an hour or so from 80 percent state of charge.

Does it take anything special to use two chargers on the same battery bank simultaneously?

I disconnected the ProTech 1240P from our starboard bank when I installed the 2000 PSW inverter/charger for that bank. Partly 'cause I'm not sure the older ProTech is smart enough to deal with one 300Ah bank and a 440Ah bank at the same time with the inverter/charger also on the 440Ah bank...

-Chris
Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have 2 Promariner chargers. A 15 amp for the thruster battery and a 60 amp for the house and 2 start batteries. Nice chargers.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Then you are defining Full way too early.

Try holding Absorb until trailing amps acceptance rate falls to .005C (1/2 Amp per 100AH).

That is 100% Full, and usually takes lead at least 3-4 hours, even for high-CAR AGM chemistries. Stopping significantly earlier drastically shortens bank life.

Obviously burning dino juice to get there is wasteful, but solar can handle that "long tail" beautifully, by using the high-amp fuel sources in the early morning to get to 80-85% first.

Shore power, you have all night, but you need to get Hold Absorb time calibrated correctly, even the best chargers default settings are prone to premature infloatulation.
you and theory versus my reality....tired of it....we have gone though this before...please comnent on others who might buy your opinion.

when my smart charger and my smart inverter charger both shut down to standby mode....good enough for me.

sure charging and batteries follow your theories...but not my boating lifestyle.

just passed 1000 miles this winters trup, how about you?

my perfectly great LA golf carts are smiling every anchorage...how about yours?

after studying batteries and charging since my first sailboat in 1977, my cruising setup is just fine according to me, not some article that doesnt live on my boat or pay for my new electrical system.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

OK sorry, my memory's not good that way.

May be helpful to others who do care though, best to just say "go to float" rather than imply the bank's actually full.