Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #41

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
There was plenty of cool stuff on our boat when we got it. Very little was installed correctly (almost all by professional boat yards.)

The battery charger can connect to 3 banks but only two of the possible three were connected and they were to the same battery. Running off one battery left the other to dwindle away.

There was not a single 12 volt cigarette type outlet! The flybridge navigation is via an ipad or touch screen that could easily be powered by usb.

I first learned how to fix things by watching others and copying what they did. Now in my 50's I'm still relearning a lot of things that I watched / copied / 'learned' that were completely wrong

To the OP, it's tough on a trawler that has a lot of systems but address them one at a time and read everything you can. For now you have one big system that needs your immediate attention so at least knowing where to start has been solved. Don't assume things were done correctly in the past or that you made some big mistake. Go one step at a time, trace all the wires and think about what makes sense to you. You are responsible for those on-board and going a little overboard in making sure your systems work (and that you know how to work them) can only help you to feel more comfortable and use your boat more.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #42

City: Grenadines
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
When anchoring almost EVERYTHING should be shut off
We are full-time liveaboards who spend upwards of 320 days a year on our anchor, so I think this suggestion is rather impractical for many.
Electricity on a boat not connected to shore power is just a matter of mathematics. You need to calculate how many amps you want to use over a 24 hour period and have enough amps in your batteries that this consumption figure is roughly 20% of your total available amps. Then you need a method of replacing the consumed amps.
We use a combination of solar panels, a windgen, and an 8kw diesel genset to accomplish this.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, Fl.
Vessel Name: Leave Um Nuthin
Vessel Model: Cruisers 3950 Aft cabin
Just wondering

After reading all post and then looking at crawdaddy pics, I thought all house battery banks were 6volt golf cart batteries connected to get 12volts in the end. I have heard they are some of the ones that can drain down to '0' and be recharged without hurting them.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #44

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I will risk my 2 cents, even if it has nothing to see with your issue.
I would advise you to check all of your battery/alternator crimped connectors, clean them if needed (I can see that some look like a bit corroded on batteries), and protect the crimp using liquid tape and / or heat shrink and / or electric tape.
I can see that used cables are not tinned copper so I would even more recommend you to protect the crimp so cable itself will not start to corrode especially if you are in salt water.

L
I can’t muster up Lou’s level of diplomacy. Your existing battery terminal connections are horrible. Buy new batteries (power survey first, decide what you really need), then have the bank rewired by a good marine electrician. There are endless threads on selecting the power system configuration that’s right for you; study up and select what will work best for the way you use your boat - it might not be what’s in there now.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #45
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
If not already installed, you should also have a e-meter like the Link 10 installed to track the status of your "house" including the AMP-hour usage. These meters required an informed user who understands the status of his battery bank because the battery capacity needs to be entered manually as a starting point and updates as the battery bank ages and loses capacity.

Stop running your battery charger 24/7 when at the marina unless you can verify that once it reaches 100% charge it shuts down the current. That forever trickle charging is not doing your batteries any good.

I agree with earlier comments - get new batteries and have a separate, isolated starting bank.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #46

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
After reading all post and then looking at crawdaddy pics, I thought all house battery banks were 6volt golf cart batteries connected to get 12volts in the end. I have heard they are some of the ones that can drain down to '0' and be recharged without hurting them.
“House battery bank” only means it’s powering house loads - it can be any battery you want to try. GC2’s are good house batteries and are used on lots of boats, including mine. They are true deep cycle construction, and give you good bang for the buck. Lead acid batteries have limited life, which is shortened by discharge - the deeper the discharge, the shorter the life. The most common recommendation is to not discharge below 50%SOC; if you’re lucky enough to have capacity to make that 60 or 70, the bank will last longer. I think LiFePO4 banks can be discharged to 30% SOC without damage, but you pay a lot for that privilege.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Clare
Vessel Name: ARGO
Vessel Model: Bristol 42
series and parallel

I went for a long time on my old boat, totally mystified by how quickly the batteries went flat even though they were new and on paper there was plenty of capacity and charging capacity. I discovered that they had been connected in parallel and that the voltage regulator was getting the message from the first battery when it was full and stopped charging and there was nothing in the batteries further down the line. i fixed this by changing to large 6 volt Trojan golf cart batts in series and had separate banks , each charge with their own 200 watt solar panel and separate regulator,with "either or" switches so that each bank got fully charged and only one could be flattened and I had a diode at the end of each bank and took a feed off both banks for the fridge as it was the only thing that ran all the time. I am on a mooring in the channel with no mains power and after this , I never had a problem
steve marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #48
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Let's start out slow. Get a cup of coffee and get comfortable.
The generator battery "out" is isolated.
The main engine start battery "out" is isolated from the rest of the batteries ie, goes only to the designated engine.
The house batteries supplies everything else.
I say this with the understanding, yes there are parallel switches but, for now let's ignore them.
It is my understanding, all house and main engines batteries must be the same type and age and amperage capacity. You cannot mix and match types and ages and amperage capacity of batteries within the house bank? You cannot do that with flash light batteries (a small battery bus) so what makes you can do that with house batteries?
By golly, the system worked flawlessly too.

Now, stepping back beyond the house bus. Each battery size and type have different charge rates. My previous boat, 8Ds all the same make and age. The only 'different' battery was the start battery for the generator. All the 8Ds were the same age, type and amperage size. All the 8Ds were AGM. Never had a lick of a problem.
IF you start with mixing batteries types of batteries and ages and amperage size within the house bus and sizes of batteries, you are screwing with the system design. You get a problem, what do you expect? I know what you are hoping for but, the system is not designed for that mix and match. End of story.
Note, my generator start battery was also an AGM. I did not mess with the design of the battery design. I am not qualified nor educated enough to change nor mess with the system design.
Now, per the parallel switches compare them to the fuel system on the boat, you can parallel the fuel supply tanks, you can you can parallel the returns. You can draw from one tank, return it to the same tank OR send it to another tank. The return hoses are the same size. The supply lines are the same size, with the exception of the supply and return to the generator. Generally speaking, the size of the generator supply and return hoses may be smaller than the supply and return hoses going to and from the main engines.
Per what you can safely put on the house electrical bus, that is a function of the size of the house bank. IF you keep adding stuff to the house bank, of course the time house bus will last without charging will change.
The American Tug is truly blessed. The electrical bus designer realized you can cant load up the without effecting the run-time of the bus.
At night, you will need 12 volt for the fridge and the TV (powered by a separate and small inverter), the anchor light and a reasonable number of house lights. Just as there is 'load management' on the AC bus, there must be 'load management' on the DC bus.
Yes, I have 2X135 amp solar panels. What comes from there is "free" and I do not include the output in any calculations.
Per A/C, if I want or need it, I start the generator, end of story.
I have an electric stove and microwave. First thing I shut off, hot water heater. Next, I change my microwave to the inverter bus. If I am still drawing too much power, I start limiting the number of burners I use on the stove'. Again, it is all about 'load management.' You cannot suck 50 gallons of water through a hose designed for a 30 gallons hose without reducing the water pressure. Cant do it with the electrical system either.
See how simple we cam make the electrical bus?
Two words, 'load management.'
If I am wrong, feel free to point out my errors so I can learn and improve.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #49
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Dan, the AGMs I see advertised (I`ve been looking recently) are described as "deep cycle". Are there others designated as "start",or they ok for both start and house functions?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #50
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Dan, the AGMs I see advertised (I`ve been looking recently) are described as "deep cycle". Are there others designated as "start",or they ok for both start and house functions?
The short answer is, "I don't know." All mine are "deep cycle AGM starting batteries" They seem to accept more abuse than those not designated "deep cycle" and recover.
I buy from a local marine battery supply store and let them change them out. It's all part of the "in place" battery prices. "You want me to buy your batteries, you gotta get the old ones out and properly dispose of them too.
Check out the 'cold cranking' rate. I try to buy the batteries advertising all the goodies and blessed by the Pope too. That last part was a joke.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #51
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
[QUOTE=OldDan1943;69107All mine are "deep cycle AGM starting batteries" [/QUOTE]

It has been my understanding that anything that a “deep cycle start battery” is an oxymoron.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Well, I won't hold you to it. The point is that I may be able to figure out how to leave on some of the electronics as needed with very little power draw.
Dave,

Setting it up as I did, is actually quite simple. Locate the power feed to the nmea 2000 network ( you may have 2). If it's a Garmin product, the cord color will be yellow. Wire it to it's own circuit and your done. If you have an AIS black box such as a Garmin, and want it broadcasting your position, put it on the circuit with the nmea 2000 network. The AIS black box doesn't need a MFD turned on for the AIS to transmit. As far as displays go, you can either leave one of the MFDs on or add one of the 4" displays that draws it's power from the network cable. The 4" displays will show any data that travels over the nmea 2000 network. Mine will show position, speed, travel heading, depth, wind speed and direction, boat heading, outside air temperature, water temperature, and there's a built in anchor drag alarm. There are also alarms for depth, wind speed, and some others I haven't even looked at.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #53
Guru

Thanks Ted. Great ideas and it gives me some place to start looking.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #54
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The short answer is, "I don't know." All mine are "deep cycle AGM starting batteries" They seem to accept more abuse than those not designated "deep cycle" and recover....Check out the 'cold cranking' rate. I try to buy the batteries advertising all the goodies and blessed by the Pope too. That last part was a joke.
I suppose that answers it, if the AGM comes with a CCA rating it must be intended (or at least expected) to be used for starting, otherwise there would only be an Ah capacity stated.
What is your experience of longevity(just with the batts)of AGMs used for starting? I like batteries that are infallible too, but they`re tough to find.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #55
Guru

City: Vermont
We have Lifeline AGMs for start, house, and coms (all separate banks). Thats the norm for Nordhavns and they work great.

I don’t see any reason why a deep cycle battery can’t be used as a start battery, other than being more expensive than necessary. But a start battery won’t hold up under deep cycle use.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #56
FF
Guru

"I don’t see any reason why a deep cycle battery can’t be used as a start battery,"

although they weigh the same the plates on a start are far thinner , so end up with more surface area.

This helps the voltage stay up with the large starter load.

The thick plates of a deep cycle work fine , if you get the plate area up by using a couple ganged together.

A start batt recovers from too much starter use as the many plates get covered with bubbles , which depart in a few min.The batt is not very discharged.

A bunch of 50% down house batts do an OK job of doing warm weather starts.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #57
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post

Reading suggests sometimes (often) "deep cycle" for AGMs, especially for 12V AGMs, is simply a marketing term, and they're usually dual-purpose.

OTOH, some do make a distinction, whether or not it shows up correctly on their label or in their advertising. See East Penn's chart, for example, only selected 'cause I found it quickly):

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...10-17_FULL.pdf

Lifeline is another brand that makes a distinction; see they're website.

FWIW, Lifeline told me that as long as I built up a bank of "deep cycle" batteries to the point where the bank would also provide the correct minimum of CCAs/MCAs for our engines... they can make good start banks, too. (And we've done that; seems to work fine.)

As I understand it, NorthStar AGMs are legitimately deep cycle. I know from experience that Odyssey AGMs provide decent deep cycle service.

Dunno if any of those are available in your neck of the woods... and then some are much more expensive than others.

-Chris
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Vermont
We have Lifeline AGMs for start, house, and coms (all separate banks). Thats the norm for Nordhavns and they work great.

I don’t see any reason why a deep cycle battery can’t be used as a start battery, other than being more expensive than necessary. But a start battery won’t hold up under deep cycle use.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

FWIW, Lifeline told me that as long as I built up a bank of "deep cycle" batteries to the point where the bank would also provide the correct minimum of CCAs/MCAs for our engines... they can make good start banks, too. (And we've done that; seems to work fine.)

I have a Lifeline 8D AGM as a start battery. It was installed by the PO to replace a Chinese SLA battery. It works great. The Lifeline is a true deep cycle battery. However, it is really overkill for my Cummins 5.9L QSB engine. I believe that engine when installed in Dodge trucks uses two group 31 start batteries. That is a whole lot easier and cheaper. Even that is more than my needs in my boat, even in the winter as my ER temps never get that cold.

Dave
SPOT page