Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
FF
Guru

If a relay was used it was a great idea. Many batts are destroyed by their chargers boiling the water out.

The newest batt charger concept is to get rid of the Float concept.

The batt goes they bulk and absorbtion charges till full.

Then the charger shuts OFF.

Should the voltage fall (house in use) it will turn back on at a set lower voltage.Otherwise it will only turn on with a fall in batt voltage due to self discharge , or once a week or 10 days to charge to full, and then shut down.

This saves watering and makes the batt set last even longer.

Nice what a 5c chip can do.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Installing one or more transformers to run 12 volt lights from shorepower would be a strange way to accomplish this function.

On my boat, and I would assume most others, the 12 volt lights are powered by the batteries on shore power, just as they are when not on shore power.

The battery charger replenishes the power that is used by 12 volt lights and appliances.

Simple and effective.
Let me see if I can clarify my post to make it easier to understand.

The battery charger not only keeps the batteries charged, it acts as a power supply (converting 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC for the low voltage DC lighting and appliances). No extra parts are needed. They are also available for other voltage combinations.

This is a feature of most modern marine battery chargers, at least the ones intended to be left powered up and connected at all times. They are often referred to as "smart chargers" because they monitor the state of battery charge and current draw and regulate their output as necessary.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I agree 100%. I'd much prefer my lights to only run on DC power, the current setup seems Rube Goldberg to me. If I could find that relay do you think removing it would disable the AC function, thereby allowing my lights to work on DC only?
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I agree 100%. I'd much prefer my lights to only run on DC power, the current setup seems Rube Goldberg to me. If I could find that relay do you think removing it would disable the AC function, thereby allowing my lights to work on DC only?
No, simply removing it would leave you with unconnected circuits and likely no power to the lights.

You have to figure out if this was a modification by a previous owner and how to undo everything the PO did and put it back in the original configuration..
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #25
FF
Guru

They are often referred to as "smart chargers" because they monitor the state of battery charge and current draw and regulate their output as necessary.

The shore use of DC loads , lights etc is HOW the batts get overcharged.

The voltage is held higher to keep the bat set from discharging , which is then a constant charge , costing water.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
They are often referred to as "smart chargers" because they monitor the state of battery charge and current draw and regulate their output as necessary.

The shore use of DC loads , lights etc is HOW the batts get overcharged.

The voltage is held higher to keep the bat set from discharging , which is then a constant charge , costing water.
Where do you get your information?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"Where do you get your information? "

The better brands of batt chargers , Charles or Mastervolt have websites that can be found with a Google search.

FF
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Where do you get your information? "

The better brands of batt chargers , Charles or Mastervolt have websites that can be found with a Google search.

FF
Yes they do. That's partly where I get my information. These chargers also function as a power supply when the boat is on shore power by supplying the charging current and the current being consumed by DC appliances in use on the boat..
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"These chargers also function as a power supply when the boat is on shore power by supplying the charging current and the current being consumed by DC appliances in use on the boat.."

Of course , the question is HOW they supply the boat.

In the old days on RV's there were "converters" instead of "chargers".

These usually would top off at 12.8 to 13V and attempt to stay there regardles of the House load.Worked great , till someone attempted to charge a dead battery , which could take days.

Today "smart chargers" can function as a converter or charger with ease.

The question of HOW they cycle the batt set will determine how often the batts need to be watered.

NOT weather the lights work.

FF