Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I run a 16K btu ac unit off a Leece Neville 220 alternator on my charter boat. The inverter and alternator totaled about $1K and you could spend $300 or more on installation materials. Works great at cruising speeds, fuctions at 1,200 rpm, and not below a 1,000 rpm. The big issue for long term use at slower engine speeds is adequate cooling of the alternator. My 16K btu unit requires between 100 and 120 amps at 14 volts. This alternator is only running the ac unit, everthing else runs off the primary alternator.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
FF
Guru

The other option is to purchase an auto refit air cond unit as used in hot rods and custom cars.

These are quite powerful probably double what a single boat unit would put out.

With a place to blow the hot air about $1400 should do it.

A sea water to freon heat exchanger is not that expensive and an electric sea water pump would work just fine.

If its cooling underway only , this probably would be the cheapest , easiest option.

Why make electric , convert the electric to run a pump, when a belt will run a far bigger pump OTS>

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Fred has a good idea. It won't be any harder to fabricate a mount for a compressor than a big alternator. The seawater condenser may be a bit tricky. But if you are handy you could cobble one together with a length of cupronickel tubing inside copper tubing. Or take one from a defunct marine unit.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While an automotive system is certainly worth exploring and would likely work ok at cruising rpm, you're still only going to spin the compressor at 1/4 to 1/2 the rpm needed when trolling. My guess is that the automotive compressor may seem much more powerful when cruising, sitting idling at a traffic light, not so much. Also, the inside of a sedan is much smaller than the cabin of a charter fishing boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #25

City: Port Colborne
Vessel Model: Annacapri
Well, I'm back to the generator again after all the comments and suggestions. This is where I began almost 3 years ago. Since I have twin diesels the Kubota generator will work ok other than access for maintenance. We are planning on building a special hoist that attaches to the deck to set in and lift out this unit. I changed the rear deck to 1/4" aluminum plate last year so mounting the hoist is a nonissue. We will make disconnects for the exhaust, raw water and electrical easily accessible so this process will be fairly simple and fast. Again, thank you all for your input. It was what I needed to hear.
I'll try and keep you posted as things go.
Gord
screeminreelcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #26

Footnote

At anchor we run our forward stateroom A/C, set to 68F, on a 5KW inverter at night off 600 amps of Li-ion batteries. It is probably at 30% duty cycle at night. Also, the frig and whatever else is on during the night. Depleted batteries by morning. You can do this with Li-Ion batteries for 3000 cycles. Cant prove it because we'll never get there but the electric car literature seems to back it up. The OP was trying to do it during a hot day which is a whole nother story and everybodies' advice was right on.

Cost of the batteries is 2800 plus freight and inverter circa 400. I used a cheap one (square wave) but no AC device seems to notice. I even tried it on the salon unit and it started and ran just fine, not simultaneously with forward of course. The big units of 10000 watts would probably run both but then you are talking serious draws and the genset better be running or on dockside power, so no point.
gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #27

City: Port Colborne
Vessel Model: Annacapri
It appears that the battery banks are the weak link in all this but still have to recharge them from shore, alternator, solar etc. This is more work and monitoring than it may be worth for my application. The Kubota gen set will be going in and with 7kw I'll have plenty of power.

screeminreelcharters is offline   Reply With Quote