Power cord burnt ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twist lock (which I think is industry standard not just one manufacturer) and covers are no guarantee that your plug won't burn up...the shore power box can be bad and have an effect on you cord end (one in Annapolis almost melted my new power cord end off one New year's Day morning....

Originally posted by Ron T:
I have a 1981 49' Grand Banks. It had one 50 Amp-120VAC and one 50 Amp 120/240VAC plug in both fore and aft. I removed both and replaced with SMART PLUG units, both 30 Amp 120VAC. I think their system is well engineered. I like the locking system and overheat protection. I have seen many boat owners just pull the power cable from the dock box having never shut off the AC input on their vessel or CBs on the dock box power supply. If you did this at night you would notice a spark, flash of energy jumping the contacts. Best procedure is to turn off AC items with in your vessel first then CBs on the dock box, then unplug and stow your power cable. Too many power cables have been dropped in the water with power on. Not a great way to test the dock box C/Bs. Coming in to dock put plug in to both your vessel and to dock box, turn on dock box CBs then turn on items you wish to power with in your vessel.
When you come to your vessel after being away, walk up to the dock box power suppy and wrap your hand around the end of cable. It should not be warm or HOT. Board you vessel and do the same at the power inlet on your boat. It should be ambient temperature also. This also holds true for any electrical heaters you may place on board. The insurance companies love to VOID policies when a vessel has a fire caused by a cheap electrical heater with no safe guards. KING heaters out of Seattle, are one of the few companies making heaters meeting marine safety needs. It is not good luck but good prevention that will keep your vessel safe.

Ron,

Just to make sure you changed the CB running this part of your system to 30A right? Can't change out a 50A connector with a 30A one without changing the CB.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom