Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Portable watt hour meter

I would like to double check my marina's watt hour meter that's on my power post. Ideally I would like a meter that would plug into a 50 amp 125/250 outlet with the same fitting, or split to two 30 amp plugs. I could also use two of these designed for 30 amp power cords. I found the latter, but they're $250 EACH. http://www.powermeterstore.com/index...oducts_id=5650

or

http://tinyurl.com/d3n64h

Any other ideas / suggestions?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: Portable watt hour meter

Give up beer for Lent?*
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Guru

OK, I'll stick with Sailor Jerry's rum, but that still doesn't help me check the meter! Boy, I don't think I've ever seen this group so silent on an issue!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Used meters (rebuilt ) are available for under $100.

YOU would have to either outfit it with plugs and sockets to function , or better hard wire it i9nto the boat.

A similar situation at Block Island I saw a charter capt fill his boat , and go have a talk with the fuel dock owner.

The fish killer had a Flo Scan for years and the driver knew within a couple of gal what the fill would be.

Free Fuel was cheaper than having the dock shut down for a 3 day weekend.

Knowledge is Power (FB)
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Guru

I'm thinking about that... saw some for $20 or so. I'd have to buy the box and all the connector cords, but it still looks like the cheapest way to go so far.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
RED

My concern about a standard watthour meter would be accuracy in a low power draw situation; not knowing your electrical usage, of course.

The price on the unit you found is certainly up there, just as the cost of a crummy "extension cord" for our boats at $100 plus.
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31

Hey Keith - how about plugging your kill a watt meter into a fixed load like a heater and let things run for a day or two then compare the dock meter w/ the kaw.* Means you'll have to take the boat out for a day or so but what's wrong w/ that?
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"My concern about a standard watthour meter would be accuracy in a low power draw situation;"

The folks that make it their business to charge us for electric do not share your concern about inaccuracy from their meters..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
RED

Actually Fred, having worked in that industry, there is quite a lot of attention paid to meter accuracy. Some of our biggest problems stemmed from meter readers "dry labbing" meter counts (from home or a bar, instead of walking their routes). The other issue was with people trying to find ways to make their meters run slow with magnets, etc, which would make the usage look lower that actual.
Now, if Keith takes a 200 amp rated meter and uses it on a 30 amp circuit with very low usage, an older "unserviced" meter could run slow, making his usage look smaller that actual.
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Guru

Boy, that would be fine with me... less $$! The reason for all this is that my bill has been running 3-5$, and jumped to $65 last month, a factor of 10. They swear it's right, and I said it can't be. I've been reading mine now and keeping up, and we'll see how the next bill comes out. Mine usually never runs over $40, even in the middle of the summer living aboard. The guy across from me got one for $250. He flat refused to pay it, sending them his last 12 months usage history.

Oh yea, you used to could flip one of those house meters upside down, plug it back in, and it would run backwards. Just don't forget and leave it like that!