Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 188
Portable generator placement.

Hi All,

Just bought a Honda eu2000 generator. From looking here I see there are several members using a generator like this onboard. I'd just like to ask a few questions to members who run like this.

Firstly where do you put the generator when it;s running?

Does it need some sort of heat insulation underneath to protect the deck?

Do you ever leave it run whilst (temporarily) unattended? (eg go for a walk/fish/explore for an hour within eyeshot of the boat). Anyone game to admit doing this?

Any other points I should know about?


Thanks all!
__________________
Advertisement

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Just bought a Honda eu2000 generator. From looking here I see there are several members using a generator like this onboard. I'd just like to ask a few questions to members who run like this.

Firstly where do you put the generator when it;s running?

Does it need some sort of heat insulation underneath to protect the deck?

Do you ever leave it run whilst (temporarily) unattended? (eg go for a walk/fish/explore for an hour within eyeshot of the boat). Anyone game to admit doing this?
Just sits on the back deck, with adapter running up to a 30-amp shore power receptacle. No heat insulation underneath, but exhaust pointing away from the boat. Only running while I am on the boat. Probably would be OK to leave it running, but why take a chance?
__________________

__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,196
IMO you always want it as far down wind as possible. If at anchor with the wind forward then it needs to be on the swim platform in some place where wind will carry exhaust away from you if possible. Probably oK unattended as long as it cant fall off if you get waves.
Consider adding CO detectors if you don't have them.
I would not run it while sleeping
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 398
I stole an idea from the web for exhaust on my eu2000. I removed the muffler and had a threaded galvy nipple welded onto it. Bought some exhaust hose, hose clamped a nipple and a 45 to it so that at anchor the exhaust goes off the boat and into the water. Mounted a co detector right above it. All is well so far.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
The safest place to keep it is on shore.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,856
CO is only as dangerous as you make it...it you are aware if it's existence...the vast majority of us can easily outwit it.

The useful suggestions so far are pretty good. CO detectors without question...the best is no one sleeps or is alone while it's running...you mostly use it for short periods such as charging batteries...

Think of CO as water running downhill...place the genset in a place that in dead calm situations the exhaust would make it over the side easier than into the boat. With any breeze at all..make sure the exhaust will be blown over the side/away from the boat.

I have used a portable many times and never had several CO detectors even chirp. They went crazy last month with a battery short and hydrogen production in the bilge and will chirp if someone is using a pressure washer on the dock several slips away.

Yep...a little science and common sense goes a long way in outsmarting CO.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 953
I would have thought a 35' Riviera would have came with one. I know a few people that did the Honda route only later get a marine unit installed and they were much happier and in the end adds value. Food for thought.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
All the above. I never run it while sleeping and take wind and open ports into consideration when considering placement. I have 3 locations I've used under various conditions.

1. If it's windy and exhaust is easily dispersed, my first choice is on a cushioned storage bench on the FB. My boat has an fairly open FB with no isenglass and only canvas sides. The elevated position on the bench along the port side allows the fumes to exit easily and at a safe distance from any canvas. I can secure and lock the unit in place and easily hook up the 30A shore power cord. The cushioned bench provides some sound deadening. This is where I place the unit for storage and when underway also. I have a fitted Honda cover to protect it from the elements when not running.

2. If I'm rafting up with other boats, I use it sparingly and find the bow to be a better choice with ports closed and neighbors advised before starting. The noise level is less there, but exhaust can be more of a concern. So far, no issues.



3. If it's very still, I can run it from the swimstep in a tub as shown for splash protection. Cutaways in the sides and bottom tub allow for electrical hookup, securing straps and exhaust & water drainage. On my boat, the swimstep is the noisiest spot to run the generator.



Yes, I'll let it run unattended for a couple of hours for battery charging when needed. Last week after dinner, we heated water and charged batteries while visiting our friends on a nearby boat. When we returned to the boat after about an hour of running, we thought it had died until we got within a couple of boat lengths and could make out the low rumble.

Let common sense prevail.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,596
Carbon Monoxide poisioning
Explosive gasoline vapors
Exhaust noise for everybody nearby

Read the manual for using the ECO THROTTLE mode or whatever they call it. Its what sets the inverter series apart from other portable gens.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Tuckerton, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
Everyone should have CO detectors it's not just your boats CO that can kill there have been instances of boaters near another boat getting CO poisoning and dying. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda or a Kohler gas engines produce more CO then diesel but diesels can produce CO. CO is all about exposure over time, high concentrations can harm or kill quicker but low daily doses will add up and can have the same results. My Gulfstar has -0- CO detectors, my 1st of many projects on her tomorrow is to install 2 CO detectors that are hardwired on all the time.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Read the manual for using the ECO THROTTLE mode or whatever they call it. Its what sets the inverter series apart from other portable gens.
Yes, I use it. It was the eco-throttle that ramped down the RPMs when the water heater finished heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Everyone should have CO detectors it's not just your boats CO that can kill there have been instances of boaters near another boat getting CO poisoning and dying. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda or a Kohler gas engines produce more CO then diesel but diesels can produce CO. CO is all about exposure over time, high concentrations can harm or kill quicker but low daily doses will add up and can have the same results. My Gulfstar has -0- CO detectors, my 1st of many projects on her tomorrow is to install 2 CO detectors that are hardwired on all the time.
Bill
Very true...whether you have a genset or not, all boats should have a CO detector in each stateroom. Mine are hardwired, too.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The safest place to keep it is on shore.

What does the water have to do with it? The vast majority of CO2 deaths are "on the shore".


I actually put mine on the fly bridge. I have two detectors that when initiated will tell me how many P/M of CO2 is detectable. No one sleeps while it is on. I use it for Coffee and recharging batteries. I have a solar panel that works very well and if it wasn't for the coffee pot and occasionally the microwave, I don't need to use it much.


Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
What does the water have to do with it? The vast majority of CO2 deaths are "on the shore".


I actually put mine on the fly bridge. I have two detectors that when initiated will tell me how many P/M of CO2 is detectable. No one sleeps while it is on. I use it for Coffee and recharging batteries. I have a solar panel that works very well and if it wasn't for the coffee pot and occasionally the microwave, I don't need to use it much.
Like many others that know the hazards.... and a little forethought is all that's needed to keep you safe.

Also like many others, the limited use of it is the beauty of it and yet it does exactly what we need it for at a fraction of the cost of a permanent genset...or in my case...as a backup or supplemental genset.

Mine is the EU1000 and when I run it on eco-throttle and put it outboard of one of my trunk cabins...the wind is usually louder than it is so the neighbors never even know it's running.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 188
Thanks for the input all. I hadn't considered a CO detector - will grab one this morning.

One more thing - on test running, the honda seems to run very smooth. Can I assume there is little danger of the generator 'walking' across a fiberglass deck (due to vibrations form its running)?

Thanks again all.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Mine is the EU1000 and when I run it on eco-throttle and put it outboard of one of my trunk cabins...the wind is usually louder than it is so the neighbors never even know it's running.

I have the EU2000 and I get the same results. You can hear it if it's really quite and little wind. If the wind is blowing, it's really hard to make it out if you're farther than 10 feet from the boat. I love my Honda and it never fails to start.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Thanks for the input all. I hadn't considered a CO detector - will grab one this morning.

One more thing - on test running, the honda seems to run very smooth. Can I assume there is little danger of the generator 'walking' across a fiberglass deck (due to vibrations form its running)?

Thanks again all.
Shufti,

I would put down cardboard where you set the generator, if it's on the fiberglass. One of the rubber feet did leave a crack in the shape of a circle on our flybridge. Simple piece of cardboard should work well and help to keep it from walking.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I would have thought a 35' Riviera would have came with one. I know a few people that did the Honda route only later get a marine unit installed and they were much happier and in the end adds value. Food for thought.

Ours was plumbed for a genset but did not come with one (I utilised the water intake for a deck wash). We intend to go down the solar route but will need to wait for the boat to come out of the water around the end of the year to allow me to mount the panels where I want them. We thought the Honda a reasonable stop-gap measure which would also come in handy for power outages at home.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
I have the EU2000 and I get the same results. You can hear it if it's really quite and little wind. If the wind is blowing, it's really hard to make it out if you're farther than 10 feet from the boat. I love my Honda and it never fails to start.

I bought mine before the 2000 was even available....it has earned it's keep a hundred times.

They are nearly indestructible...my kid uses it every year to run Christmas lights on his volunteer fire co. fire truck..and between the 2 of us it gets little attention but starts first pull every time not for the last 16 years.

As much as I think a really good diesel genset on board is a given...as everything becomes more energy efficient and can run off 12 volts or inverters...I may be tempted to work in that direction and just plan on a 2000 watt Honda genset to run the occasional appliance but mainly just to charge batts that also have other supplemental charging capability.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
Yes, put something under it to protect the surface. I have four Honda feet marks in my FB cushion. I bought a garden knee pad that fits perfectly under the unit.



I've never had it "walk", but I keep it locked with a cable lock so it won't "grow legs".
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 188
Cheers Flywright. So no heat issues underneath the Honda that would worry a foam mat, I assume?
__________________

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012