Old 07-31-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Portable generator for charging

I don’t have a genset, and so I’ve been thinking about getting a portable gas generator for auxiliary AC when on the hook for longer than a day. Besides just running an extension cord and powering 110V appliances directly, could a standard shore power cable (with adapter) be plugged into a small portable gas generator for recharging the boat’s battery bank? What would be the required output? Is the full 30A a requirement?
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have seen it done a number of times. Amperage requirement would be based on your needs. Without air conditioning, a 2 to 3 KW generator might be all you need. Would just get the appropriate adapter for the shore power cord. You will probably need to switch some loads on and off. The water heater, microwave and battery charger would likely overload the system if they were on at the same time.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I use a Honda 1000 often to charge the battery instead of my 8kw Westie.

I have a promariner charger that let's me change the charger output to less than 100 a ercent full output do it doesn't bog down the Honda.

And yes on the power inlet as long as you balance the load and not have an in line inverter charger.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Both Honda EU2000i /EU 2200i have a 30 amp outlet built in the unit and will power most needs except your air conditioner. We carry a EU 2000i for backup and it charges batteries (30amp charger) and powers all 110 appliances. Fuel consumption is approx. 1 gallon for 6-8 hrs of run time using the echo-throttle setting.
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Portable generator for charging

When on the hook, I have refrigerator, LED lights, water pump, stereo, iPad, and sometimes diesel heater fan consuming DC power. Typically get approx 36hrs of that from the house bank. I don’t really need a generator to cover all of that, just be able to put some juice back into the house batteries when necessary to push more towards 48hrs.

I have a Xantrex Trucharge 40+ charger, which appears to handle a wide array of input.
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
When on the hook, I have refrigerator, LED lights, water pump, stereo, iPad, and sometimes diesel heater fan consuming DC power. Typically get approx 36hrs of that from the house bank. I don’t really need a generator to cover all of that, just be able to put some juice back into the house batteries when necessary to push more towards 48hrs.

I have a Xantrex Trucharge 40+ charger, which appears to handle a wide array of input.
Fridge can take more power to start than you would imagine. A 2000 watt Honda should work well to do what you want, considering your list of uses of DC power.

A single toaster pulls about a 1000 watts, so that small a gen is not going to do very much extra, I would find it to limiting.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Guru

If your boat is set up for 12V and has pretty good solar,1000 Watts can work.

Sure I wish I had a 2000W Honda, but I bought my 1000W before 2000's we're offered.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Its blue.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-.../dp/B01MUP6L1U
https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...G5XMMKXK2YR7XQ
Does have good ratings.
No 30 amp plug.

Ford makes one too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F8KJH9...&pd_rd_w=jHM4u
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
I bought and have used the Westinghouse. The reviews sold me. Starts on first pull since day 1. Nothing bad to say. Picked it up at Lowes
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
FF
Guru

To lessen noise on board these are sometimes hung from boom ends or simply left in the dink behind the vessel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Too bad they do not make a Diesel unit. In my previous gas boat I had a 2000 Watt Honda as a back up and it was awesome. CO is always an issue with portable gas units, be careful.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
When I used my Honda 2000 to power my inverter/charger, 5 amps AC would deliver a charge rate of about 33 amps DC. 10 amps AC would give 66 amps DC and 15 amps AC would give 100 amps DC. The Honda EU2000i is only 1600 watts /13.8 amps AC continuous so I had to limit my charger to 10 amps AC to allow a little left to run the refrigerator. The Honda got annoyingly loud over about 50 percent load.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
To lessen noise on board these are sometimes hung from boom ends or simply left in the dink behind the vessel.
Please consider the others in the anchorage when you run these (or any genset). You benefit from the noise, they do not.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #14

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
As to noise, from 50 feet away, the sound of my generator while on full load is de minimis as observed by folks who were not with me nor benefiting from my genny. I agree that everyone should be a courteous boater at all times.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
Guru

I wish people posted as much about talking, laughing, music, radios, musical instrument playing, outboards, windgens, halyards, etc noise that all can be just as loud as a quiet inverter genset..

Then about anchorages that have air traffic noise, road noise, wind noise, population noise, etc...complaining about 56 decibles for a couple hours makes me laugh.

Sure, if your little genset is the only thing making noise...be polite.

But the reality is all too often it's not.

Mine, if I run it in the confines flybridge, it's quieter than if you happen to be on my installed genset exhaust side which has a bit of a rumble and the typical splashing sound.