Portable generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat didn’t have room for a real marine generator. I used a Honda 2000 to run my air conditioner at night. I would set it on my swim platform or stern covering board. This put the generator at least ten feet down wind of any entrance to the cabin. I’m still alive.

That said, if I had a place to put it, I’d have bought a real generator.

If the vibrational (word?) noise bothers you put it on a plywood pad with a partially
inflated inner tube under it. Bungie cords can keep it in place.

Don’t forget Yamaha generators, just as high quality as Honda but with some extra features like built-in start capacitors for getting heavy loads going. I have a 1000 and a 2400 and have zero complaints.

The inverter style generators have been through all kinds of tests and reviews on youtube. I can't say which is the best as everyone uses a genny differently. The main competitors are Predator, Honda, Wen, Yamaha, Tail Gator, Power Horse, Coleman. Some of the youtube videos have good suggestions on setting up the generators for maximum reliability.

IF one has a clue. You do. Some don't and that was my concern when I posted about CO2 danger. It has happened and may again.
I run it on the flybridge (best for all around noise abatement except in our own salon), or a side deck away from the other boats (making it virtually noiseless more than 50 feet away on the opposite side).

I have 3 carbon monoxide detectors aboard and never run it while anyone is asleep.

With no windows, or doors open near it, I have never had a CO detector sound or even register any CO.

The slightest breeze carries it overboard. Even no breeze seems OK but then I put is where the exhaust is going right overboard.

I guess if you are totally clueless you could kill someone using one of these gensets...but in my experience, one used just to charge batteries or as a backup...plugged directly from the batt charger and handled properly...is no safety threat at all...IF you have a clue.

and why I guess these discussions are necessary...I usually try and head for the overall truths...not the selective ones such as "portable gensets have no place on a boat" and other such statements that some make.

there are lots of dangerous things on a boat or dangerous activities if done poorly.

if every thread degraded into the what if to extremes...like never buy a boat witha flying bridge because some guest may decide to dive off of it in sallow water and break their necks..... the forum would become tedious.

I am all for pointing out the dangers of anything on a boat or tips for safer operation...but the constant fearmongering about so many things is astounding.

I only have a portable gas generator aboard. Mine is a yamaha 1350W and works very nicely. It is far enough to power my sterling 60Amp battery charger. When put on eco mode the engine rpm are set according to the load and it is running quietly. I get 4h at full output to 7h in eco mode from one full tank (around 4.5 liter).
When running I put it on the swim platform (attached) and store it on the aft upper deck. I plan to build a permanent support above the swim platform so it can stay there even underway.

For the last 4/5 years I am happy with it and it suit our occasional usage.

L

I bought (and still have) two Honda EU2000 generators for our travel trailer, prior to getting a Class A motorhome. Hooked up in parallel when needed. Love them, regular maintenance and they're bulletproof. Only thing I added was an hour meter to each, and an extended run fuel system for when needed.

That said, if I were to do it again, I would purchase the Predator 2000 from Harbor Freight. They are built to the Honda design, so much that Honda has sued Harbor Freight! Not sure where that has gone, but whatever. I have several friends who use them extensively at Art Shows, as well as for their RV's and around home. One has almost 700 hours in 2 years. They are comparable to the Honda's in every way except price. Consumer reports rated them almost identical to the Honda's, 2 points lower because they are slightly louder (2db when running full out).

If properly stored, properly operated, fuel properly stored, etc, I don't see why they couldn't be safely used on a boat. It's hard to beat 7+ hours of run time on 0.9 gallons of fuel! As an added plus, they are available for use on the shore for a beach party!:D

When running a portable genny on your swim step at anchor consider the air flow around an anchored or stationary boat. If I were a half way decent artist I’d provide sketches so illustrate the point, but I’m not. You’ll have to suffer with my written description.

Consider the cross sectional shape of a sail boat mast or many airplane wings. Kind of tear drop shaped with the ‘fat’ section leading and the ‘thin’ section trailing. This creates a nice smooth air flow off the trailing section. Turn the tear drop around with the fat section trailing and now the flow off the trailing section is turbulent and can be at a lower relative air pressure. This can lead to flow back towards the trailing edge. Kayakers and white water runners know this phenomenon, drop into the down river side of a rock and get a back eddy for a bit of a rest.

Ok, I’m getting long winded. How does this apply to running a genny on the swim step? A boat is a very rough tear drop shape hull and deck when viewed from above. Pointy end into the wind, fat end down wind. Under the right conditions air mass at the back can actually move towards the stern and sometimes flow onto the boat and forward.

No, this isn’t fear mongering. It’s real life experience and having to figure out why exhaust was entering the living spaces from the stern with a gentle wind blowing on the bow. It doesn’t always happen. Some boats tend to suffer from this more than others. So, please, do keep your CO detectors in good working order. Don’t assume because it’s on the stern all the bad stuff automatically disappears.

Yes it is fearmongering.....

CO detectors are a better indicator than someones sketches.....if they don't register anything...why would I believe someones sketches?

Take the basic precautions and...like thousands or more of us that are alive and smiling......

This isn't rocket science...pay attention, take reasonable safeguards and enjoy life.

Is life always guaranteed? I know of more people that have died in ther sleep than silly accidents from stoves, gensets, bad water heaters, etc...etc....

I have owned a Yamaha 2000 and it was great. Zero complaints. I now own a Westinghouse 2200 with zero complaints. More power, just as quiet, 1/2 the price, and still going strong after over 2 years of use. Worth looking at.

Yes it is fearmongering.....

CO detectors are a better indicator than someones sketches.....if they don't register anything...why would I believe someones sketches?

Take the basic precautions and...like thousands or more of us that are alive and smiling......

This isn't rocket science...pay attention, take reasonable safeguards and enjoy life.

Is life always guaranteed? I know of more people that have died in ther sleep than silly accidents from stoves, gensets, bad water heaters, etc...etc....

I'm not asking you or anyone to "believe someone's sketches". I'm asking you and all reading my post to envision the air flow around a cross section of a mast or wing and how that relates to the top view of the hull and deck of a typical boat. To envision how it is possible for air or gases as the stern to move aboard and forward. This is based on real life experience with the exhaust from the vessel's own engines, portable gear run at the stern and outboards tied at the stern with engines running while at anchor with light winds blowing the exhaust gasses can enter the living spaces. It can and does happen.

I did not say do not run a portable genny at the stern. I did ask all to take care that their CO detectors are good working order and not assume all well be OK because the genny is on the swim step.
As you said, reasonable precautions. Hardly fearmongering.

Portage Bay, you’re talking about what is called the station wagon effect. It is something to consider when running a generator.

Portage Bay, you’re talking about what is called the station wagon effect. It is something to consider when running a generator.

Agreed - I would also consider the affects of genset grounding and potential shock hazards and ask my insurance company how it may or may not affect my coverages.

So many possibilities...and yes time has proven a few fatal cases out odf all of the obvious ones that are definitely freak accidents....then again there are many more boating deaths due to other reasons than "freak" CO poisoning deaths that are easily preventable too if you stay ashore.

Yes fearmongering and an assumption others don't ink before they act are rampant arguments on TF.

Real life to me is my own personal use and even with boat swings and wind shifts, etc....the amount of CO that enters the cabin in several hours of use of one of these small gensets isn't even measurable by my CO detectors.....

...also...long before I brought one aboard...I tested gensets and detectors at home in the driveway...trying hard to get to measurable levels in different situations. You almost have to try...like putting a detector within feet of the exhaust to get it to sound.

Sure these threads may save one in a hundred fools...great...I have also posted that's why they might be necessary. But I have also posted that actual or particular info is better than "maybe you'll die" because the shape of your boat or because it's one in a billion chance the moment you turn your back you might get a wiff of CO....and again like I posted and Ski seconded..don't do it while anyone is asleep and your chances of survival (if you have a brain) soar.

Yep beating it to death IS fearmongering. Posting help, not theory without the "threat" of being unsafe is so refreshing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder.

When replacing CO/fire sensors, shop around. I found some replacements with a black plastic housing instead of the white. Looks nicer on the bulkhead. RV units are the same.

Recently replaced our 30 yr old Westerbeke 12.5K with a 2017 Kohler 9k in a sound box, and complete new exhaust hose - cannot hear it over the A/c or heater blowers inside. Very pleased so far. And can't be heard outside from 50 yds away. Got a lot of use this past hot summer as we were running the TennTom and TN River - ran it all day every day for ac inside, and all night when anchoring out - great machine. And I've installed First Alert CO/smoke detectors in both cabins, saloon, ER and one on flybridge - all linked wirelessly so if one goes off, they all go off. Not much CO from diesels, but enough to watch out for.

and why I guess these discussions are necessary...I usually try and head for the overall truths...not the selective ones such as "portable gensets have no place on a boat" and other such statements that some make.

there are lots of dangerous things on a boat or dangerous activities if done poorly.

if every thread degraded into the what if to extremes...like never buy a boat witha flying bridge because some guest may decide to dive off of it in sallow water and break their necks..... the forum would become tedious.

I am all for pointing out the dangers of anything on a boat or tips for safer operation...but the constant fearmongering about so many things is astounding.

Your comment on the constant fear-mongering. Yes, I am guilty and I agree that there is far too much of it well-meaning as it might be. I will refrain in the future. Far too many "yeah-buts".

FWIW - one small harbor we boat out of ...Northport NY.
Two occurrences of Co poisoning causing deaths of 3 people in the past 3 seasons.
More if you consider the 'near misses' where folks were not killed.

And what is the difference with running your onboard diesel genset? Except if I missed something any gas/diesel engine generate exhaust gases right?

L

Kipor is a very large brand in Europe and Asia. It's an interesting brand as many think it is a Honda. All Honda parts fit and it's made in the same factory as the Hondas. Here in Canada, one dealer who was carrying them stopped selling them due to huge pressure from Honda to not offer them to customers.

They have all the same attributes of a Honda except the price. They may be scarce in your area but check them out.

https://www.portablegeneratorsrated.com/kipor-generator-reviews/

Kipor is a very large brand in Europe and Asia. It's an interesting brand as many think it is a Honda. All Honda parts fit and it's made in the same factory as the Hondas. Here in Canada, one dealer who was carrying them stopped selling them due to huge pressure from Honda to not offer them to customers.

They have all the same attributes of a Honda except the price. They may be scarce in your area but check them out.

https://www.portablegeneratorsrated.com/kipor-generator-reviews/
Kipor were available here at the popular big hardware chain "Bunnings" but a search today shows only other brands. https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/power-tools/portable-generators/inverter,
The De Walt, B&S, and Ryobi look interesting. "Full Boar" brand (name looks based on "full bore", meaning here "flat out/full power/WOT" sounds like it hails from the "big tariff country", though the others, esp Ryobi, may be made there too.

Last edited:
I've made a concerted effort to avoid a generator, either diesel or gas-powered. Want to avoid crowding the engine compartment, maintenance of another engine, or carrying gasoline. If needing additional electrical source, I'd first consider solar power mounted on the pilothouse roof as done on Coot #7 since the galley is non-electric.

Maybe I missed it, but note a couple of references to First Alert wirelessly interconnected CO/smoke detectors. Can someone post specific model number and/or other info on them?
Thanks -
Joe

And what is the difference with running your onboard diesel genset? Except if I missed something any gas/diesel engine generate exhaust gases right?

L
Diesel engines produce a lower concentration of CO than gas motors.

L

The events above were with portable gas gensets.
Along with the issues of grounding them for safety and electrolysis.
And the potential issue with insurance - our would not consider covering a portable genset in a marine application.
YMMV

The events above were with portable gas gensets.
Along with the issues of grounding them for safety and electrolysis.
And the potential issue with insurance - our would not consider covering a portable genset in a marine application.
YMMV

Depends, depends, depends.....on how they are hooked up and used.

Gross generalization fearmongering yet again......especially the insurance point of it is not addressed in your policy.

Yet typical TF.

Depends, depends, depends.....on how they are hooked up and used.

Gross generalization fearmongering yet again......especially the insurance point of it is not addressed in your policy.

Yet typical TF.

I don't understand - how you ground the unit makes a big difference as we have seen.
Whether you insurance is affected is also large.

I don't understand - how you ground the unit makes a big difference as we have seen.
Whether you insurance is affected is also large.
Depends, depends, depends....read more.... in bth those cases.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom